• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

The 4-Game Homestand - 21, 31, 18, 18

Those are the winning margins, and they could've been more. Just something to chew on for a while.

Carry on.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Aug 2012

We are in a good spot no doubt. Just need to keep fine tuning. That announcer guy was praising Few for his end game coaching when it was over. He was trying to fine tune.

Have a great day BZ !

Comment

• 23dpg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Gonzaga has lead almost every minute of every game, led start to finish in many of them, and never trailed for even a significant portion of any game (esp in the 2nd half; a few minutes at BYU and Arizona, maybe one more).

This is unprecedented and likely not to be repeated. Enjoy it while you can.

Headline: Worst 18 point win > Best 18 loss.
      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
        We are in a good spot no doubt. Just need to keep fine tuning. That announcer guy was praising Few for his end game coaching when it was over. He was trying to fine tune.

Have a great day BZ !
        I'm all for stretching and flexibility (Ichiro was renowned for this), but that avatar hurts to look at.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Rangerzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
          Those are the winning margins, and they could've been more. Just something to chew on for a while.

Carry on.
          Another way to say DOOMED??

You are entirely right, BZ.
          "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
          "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
          I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
            Gonzaga has lead almost every minute of every game, led start to finish in many of them, and never trailed for even a significant portion of any game (esp in the 2nd half; a few minutes at BYU and Arizona, maybe one more).

This is unprecedented and likely not to be repeated. Enjoy it while you can.

Headline: Worst 18 point win > Best 18 loss.
            It is truly amazing that the only significant period in which we've played from behind is that 8 minute span at BYU. And, we answered the bell there.

For some reason, I'm not all that worried about this team responding to the mental toughness required when we eventually do face those tough periods when behind or trading leads.

I tried to think about differences between this team and the 2013 team, looking for improvements and I think there are some, though we have no one as dominant as Olynick was that year.

- Karno is at a completely new level and really can't be stopped if catches down low.
            - Domis and his motor give us more rebounding than even Elias
            - Bell is healthy
            - Pangos/Bell are now 4 year starters, been there.
            - Wiltjer, been there, dead-eye
            -Wes, been there.
            -Mac - Defense/speed.

I think this team is way ahead of the 2013 team and is why the word "Legitimate" keeps popping up, as if it is a refutation of the last time we got a one seed.

We're spoiled.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• VinnyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
              I'm all for stretching and flexibility (Ichiro was renowned for this), but that avatar hurts to look at.
              Ichiro WAS renowned? He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.
                Same thing
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Some of the stuff the team was doing in the final 8 minutes last night was driving Coach Few nuts. Just as Calhoun said on the broadcast, you have to be attentive to details in games that are in the bank because you can start picking up bad habits that can hurt your later on. The inattentive rebounding, stalls on offense, and more importantly, the terrible handling of Memphis' press, are all things that GU let get out of hand due to a lack of focus.

Gonzaga was fortunate that they were so much better than Memphis last night that the Tigers couldn't past the double digit barrier, but what's going to happen when the next UCLA, Texas Tech or Davidson comes around in March? Those teams will not only keep playing hard like Memphis did, but they will have the talent and togetherness to make it a ball game again.

As I keep saying, this team needs to learn to compete against itself. "The lead is now 25, let's see if we can get it to 32 in the next 4 minutes," etc. "Memphis is shooting 35% from floor right now, let's see if we can get them below 30% in the next 10 minutes, etc."

Even great teams should always find ways to get better. The danger with a team like this year's team is complacency.

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    Some of the stuff the team was doing in the final 8 minutes last night was driving Coach Few nuts. Just as Calhoun said on the broadcast, you have to be attentive to details in games that are in the bank because you can start picking up bad habits that can hurt your later on. The inattentive rebounding, stalls on offense, and more importantly, the terrible handling of Memphis' press, are all things that GU let get out of hand due to a lack of focus.

Gonzaga was fortunate that they were so much better than Memphis last night that the Tigers couldn't past the double digit barrier, but what's going to happen when the next UCLA, Texas Tech or Davidson comes around in March? Those teams will not only keep playing hard like Memphis did, but they will have the talent and togetherness to make it a ball game again.

As I keep saying, this team needs to learn to compete against itself. "The lead is now 25, let's see if we can get it to 32 in the next 4 minutes," etc. "Memphis is shooting 35% from floor right now, let's see if we can get them below 30% in the next 10 minutes, etc."

Even great teams should always find ways to get better. The danger with a team like this year's team is complacency.
                    Perfect.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                      Same thing
                      Cmon now, coached by a Zag. Movin' on up.

No one goes to their games, but they are going to put a decent product on the field this year.
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                        Ichiro WAS renowned? He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.
                        I can't help but think of a Monty Python movie. "I'm not dead yet. I'm feeling bettuh."

Comment

• seasontixholder
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post

LOL, about as unrealistic as it gets. When GU had a 24 point lead and Melson made the steal to give Pangos an open jumper, the MAC was rocking and the players were on adrenaline overload. Not one player in 1000 in a similar situation (throughout my basketball watching decades, at least) would be thinking in such terms. Or thinking much at all. They're just in a zone.

GU was never in any danger and the players knew it. Earlier on, it once got down to 15, but then spurted back to 22 with easy looks. Players relaxed again. Then Few sat down Karnowski around the 5:00 minute mark. The basket was left unprotected and not well rebounded. After getting down to 13, PK came in with 2+ minutes to go and order was re-established. The guys again played like the other times they were building a lead.

Perfectionists will always be unhappy.

Comment

• Mantua
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by seasontixholder View Post
                            LOL, about as unrealistic as it gets. When GU had a 24 point lead and Melson made the steal to give Pangos an open jumper, the MAC was rocking and the players were on adrenaline overload. Not one player in 1000 in a similar situation (throughout my basketball watching decades, at least) would be thinking in such terms. Or thinking much at all. They're just in a zone.

GU was never in any danger and the players knew it. Earlier on, it once got down to 15, but then spurted back to 22 with easy looks. Players relaxed again. Then Few sat down Karnowski around the 5:00 minute mark. The basket was left unprotected and not well rebounded. After getting down to 13, PK came in with 2+ minutes to go and order was re-established. The guys again played like the other times they were building a lead.

Perfectionists will always be unhappy.
                            We can't afford to let down like on the road or in March. Anyway, that's how I interpret The BZ Challenge.
                            Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Jstock12
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2014

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Comment

Working...
                              X