• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caldwellzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2018

COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

So I know most of you are like me and are at home more now that you would like to be. Minus a few fishing trips here and there (social distancing 101) I am at home most days of the week. I thought we could have some fun and do something a little different here. I am making a thread that you can post questions, comments, insight, etc (nothing abnormal I know) but it will keep it all in one place and we can lock it once we all get out of lock down and move the recruit based info to the proper spots. What it really does is put everything in one place and I will check in and try to answer all your questions. I don't care if the questions are about recruits in 2020, 2021, or 2022, grad transfers, traditional transfers, or even what are the odds the Zags will recruit your 4 year old son.

Let's have a little fun, put your pipe dreams (jazz that's for you) out there for a recruit and hopefully someone with some insider knowledge will pipe in and give you a good answer.
  • caldwellzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2018

I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
    Ayayi starts at the SG
    Kisper starts at SF
    Watson starts at PF
    Petrusev stars at C

Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.

The mystery recruit has not announced anything, he is a traditional transfer who has not been named by anyone so far. He is a 4/5 who has the NBA written all over him. It would be best for him to sit one year then play, but if he was to get a waiver then he would see the floor next year.

Of the 2021 recruits we got on campus, I believe that Hunter Sallis is the most likely to be a Zag. Followed by Paolo, Chet, Watson, and Bittle in that order. Everything I have heard about Paolo is it is really a 3 team race and UW is not one of the teams. We are in a great spot with Chet as well, but his recruiting really took a back seat to his high school season and now COVID-19.

A name to watch for 2020, but most likely 2021 is Lynn Greer. We have shown interest in him here recently. It started for 2021 only, but he has expressed interest in 2020 and we are looking at all options.

For 2022 it's a long ways out, but Skye Clark is the big name to watch. He has expressed interest in the program as well as us having interest in him.

I am sure there is more I can tell you, but I can't think of it right now. Ask away and let's see where this goes.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

What if Petrosev comes back and Ballo has passed him on the dept chart ? Would we still get the effort out of Petro ?

Comment

• bdmiller7
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2017

Thanks Caldwell. I have looked through all the transfer news I can find and came up with a list of guys we supposedly have contacted and who have not announced a group of finalists that dont include GU. All are gaurds as I didnt find any bigs we are connected to. Are any of these guys realistic options?
        Grad Transfers:
        Mike Smith
        Carlik Jones
        Drew Suggs
        Darius Perry
        Terrell Gomez
        Justin Turner
        Jalen Tate
        Charles Minlend
        Sit-out Transfers:
        AJ Walker

Comment

• caldwellzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
          What if Petrosev comes back and Ballo has passed him on the dept chart ? Would we still get the effort out of Petro ?
          Ballo is good and Ballo will get a lot of minutes, but Petro will be the guy next year. I honestly do not think he would come back if that was a true possibility.

Comment

• caldwellzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
            Thanks Caldwell. I have looked through all the transfer news I can find and came up with a list of guys we supposedly have contacted and who have not announced a group of finalists that dont include GU. All are gaurds as I didnt find any bigs we are connected to. Are any of these guys realistic options?
            Grad Transfers:
            Mike Smith
            Carlik Jones
            Drew Suggs
            Darius Perry
            Terrell Gomez
            Justin Turner
            Jalen Tate
            Charles Minlend
            Sit-out Transfers:
            AJ Walker
            For a transfer it is going to be harder than normal because who wants to come off the bench your senior year? I would look at some Ivy League guys and ones that do not have to start. A sharp shooter off the bench and can back up at the guard position. I do like Minlend, but would he take a lesser role for a chance to win it all, I don't really think he would.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
              Administrator
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
              I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
              Ayayi starts at the SG
              Kisper starts at SF
              Watson starts at PF
              Petrusev stars at C

Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.
              If you add a decent point guard to that bench, it might be the second best team in the WCC. It’s already the second best front court and Harris would start for a lot of top twenty-five teams.
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• caldwellzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2018

To add a little more fun to my life as well and a way to follow some of the recruits a little closer, I just started a CaldwellZag twitter account, it is @ZagCaldwell if you want to follow. I will post a few things there I may forget to post here.

Comment

• zagfan08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

1. Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky for Paolo?
                  2. Timme will close games over Petrusev
                  3. I really, really hope we have a season.

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

For a transfer it is going to be harder than normal because who wants to come off the bench your senior year? I would look at some Ivy League guys and ones that do not have to start. A sharp shooter off the bench and can back up at the guard position. I do like Minlend, but would he take a lesser role for a chance to win it all, I don't really think he would.
                    Regarding Minlend, it would behoove Gonzaga to encourage WCC players to stay where they are. Poaching conference players weakens the league and sows unnecessary distrust. The Zags have a plethora of options that make it unnecessary to antagonize WCC schools and it’s in their best long term interests to keep the league as strong as possible.

Comment

• Radbooks
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2007

To add a little more fun to my life as well and a way to follow some of the recruits a little closer, I just started a CaldwellZag twitter account, it is @ZagCaldwell if you want to follow. I will post a few things there I may forget to post here.
                      I followed you!
                      “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
                        I followed you!
                        me too!

Caldwell... what makes you think Watson starts over Timme next year?

Are Paolo or Chet considering a reclassification?

Thanks for answering!

Comment

• caldwellzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                          Regarding Minlend, it would behoove Gonzaga to encourage WCC players to stay where they are. Poaching conference players weakens the league and sows unnecessary distrust. The Zags have a plethora of options that make it unnecessary to antagonize WCC schools and it’s in their best long term interests to keep the league as strong as possible.
                          I do not disagree with you at all and I am not saying Gonzaga is pushing hard for him, I just personally love his toughness!

Comment

• caldwellzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                            1. Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky for Paolo?
                            2. Timme will close games over Petrusev
                            3. I really, really hope we have a season.
                            Yes on number 1. Number 2 I think Timme plays a ton. 3. We should have a season, the President even said we should have the NFL.

Comment

• caldwellzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
                              I followed you!
                              Thanks I just opened it, no post there yet, but in our world Twitter seems to be the quickest way to get information out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X