X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tinfoilzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2009

On a positive note, it will be nice to watch a team that is more likely to overachieve than underachieve.
    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Spike#1
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Oct 2016

Also, streaks or no streaks, Gonzaga until the end! Who cares?!?! No one has more to supposedly "loose" than the team itself, so if by chance, the streaks do end, I'm sure those on the team and coaching staff will feel it far more than you will.

Me? Nope, GU is going strong! Best recruiting class ever, and possibly even better next year!

Funny to me, that often on this board, our own members often bring up the never-ending "Would GU's bench win the WCC or compete for the WCC title?" You all know... Comes up virtually every year. Well, maybe now we find out...

However, we will have Timme 6'9", Watson 6"9", Ravet 6'1", Ballo 6'10", Zakharov 6'11" and Arlauskas 6'7". Every other team in the WCC wishes they had ONE of those dudes!

Not to mention possible grad transfer or two.

Me, GU is gonna be fine, I don't see any streaks being broken.

Comment

• Spike#1
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
        I think this team is definitely capable of a top 2 finish in the WCC if Few can add a piece or two. If that happens, anything can happen because they just need to win two games to go dancing and keep that streak alive.

The S-16+ streak is going to be harder to maintain, or course.
        I do agree about the S-16 streak, wasn't thinking of that, was more focused on the NCAA streak. My bad.

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

didn't we need win in WCC tourney to lock up bid in 2016? Domas Wiltjer Perk J3 Silas

next year...sure we could get bounced....but could set Zags up for huge 2021 run with Suggs and company.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2012

- I believe the s-16 streak will continue.
            - i'll let it out of the bag now, but my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
              - I believe the s-16 streak will continue.
              - i'll let it out of the bag now, but my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.
              Longest ever is 14. Let’s not get carried away lol
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                didn't we need win in WCC tourney to lock up bid in 2016? Domas Wiltjer Perk J3 Silas

next year...sure we could get bounced....but could set Zags up for huge 2021 run with Suggs and company.
                Also needed to win the WCC tourney in 2007 (11 losses) and 2011 (10 losses) to keep the streak alive ... same as '16 as you've mentioned.

The consecutive conference streak has already ended (1 behind UCLA's alltime record) ... the 11 years with an NCAA tourney win is intact as is the 5 straight Sweet 16's and beyond.

The one streak I'd like to see end is the "streak" of not being a Top Seed when the NCAA Men's Basketball opening rounds are being played at the Spokane Arena. Would love for the '20 Zags to get to play in Spokane .... but those generally happen in the years noted above ... when the Zags have to win the WCC tourney to earn their bid ...
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Ezag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Minimum WCC champs, Sweet 16

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                    I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
                    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
                    Good point. I left out the grad transfer option.

Comment

• GoZags
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                      I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
                      B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
                      While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

40% of Euro All-Star First Team

Don't recall what the summer tourney was called, but last year two of our freshman were 1st Team Euro Tournament (just like Karno & Pangos some years earlier) -- Joel & Tru. Joel redshirted then played sparingly last year as a freshman. Tru played solid ball till Killian returned. Why isn't anyone giving Joel PG credit for making that Euro tourney's All Stars?

:[
                        Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                          Don't recall what the summer tourney was called, but last year two of our freshman were 1st Team Euro Tournament (just like Karno & Pangos some years earlier) -- Joel & Tru. Joel redshirted then played sparingly last year as a freshman. Tru played solid ball till Killian returned. Why isn't anyone giving Joel PG credit for making that Euro tourney's All Stars?

:[
                          I have been! Joel had some flashes of really good play and a few bonehead plays, but he is still very young. This will be his 3rd year in the system, I think, and expect him to be a good back-up.

By Tru, do you mean Petrusev? I expect him to have a great year as well. To have had the learning of this last year and the whole off season knowing what he needs to improve on, beefing up and generally getting better. I think he and Timme will platoon at the Power Forward spot with Zakharov and Ballo doing so at the center, much like the Tillie/Collins, Karnowsky/J3 did.
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                            . . .my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.
                            My "one bold prediction" is the Zags will make the tournament. . .as a Play In Game participant. . .a nod to Few and a consolation prize for losing so much talent from the 2018-19 squad. They will win two games and the Sweet 16 streak will come to an end.
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Kiddwell
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              I have been! Joel had some flashes of really good play and a few bonehead plays, but he is still very young. This will be his 3rd year in the system, I think, and expect him to be a good back-up.

By Tru, do you mean Petrusev? I expect him to have a great year as well. To have had the learning of this last year and the whole off season knowing what he needs to improve on, beefing up and generally getting better. I think he and Timme will platoon at the Power Forward spot with Zakharov and Ballo doing so at the center, much like the Tillie/Collins, Karnowsky/J3 did.
                              Yes. When Heister asked Filip the correct pronunciation of his name last year, I heard "peh-TRU-shev." Filip's a TRU talent. ESPN had him as last recruiting class's 6th Best Center: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...nzaga-bulldogs

:]
                              Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• YukonJack
                                Bulldog Fan
                                • Mar 2015

I guess it's all about a high level PG. The size and skill elsewhere is top level. Freshmen can at times play like vets like Stepp, Pangos, Sabonis , and Collins. So the youth part of it may not be an excuse. If you have a PG it cures all. Especially when you have the horses around you.

Comment

Working...
                                X