• Show
Clear All
  • Kiddwell
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Couple Notes on ESPN Rankings

Final 2020 Rankings:
    #6 Jalen Suggs - rating 96
    #56 Ben Gregg - rating 85 (I think the site's "80" rating a misprint. See UCLA's Etienne a bit below for another.)
    #59 Dominick Harris - rating 85
    #62 Julian Strawther - rating 85

Fun takeaway -- Surprised that Gregg is listed above Harris and Strawther. This's in the context of this fan really liking Harris and Strawther. Three mid-80s four-stars is very impressive for this class (besides the obvious five-star gem, Jalen).
    Where do the nation basketball recruits rank? Check out the player rankings on RecruitingNation.com

2022 Rankings:
    Braden Huff is ranked as a 4-star (rating 81). That's nice as I've been having trouble finding Braden in any Top-100 Rankings save for 247's.
    Find what players have committed to your favorite school. Videos, analysis and more on ESPN.com

Braden Huff is a 6-9, 205-pound Small Forward from Carol Stream, IL.

:]

**Of course our 2021 class was off-the-charts in terms of great players.
    Where do the nation basketball recruits rank? Check out the player rankings on RecruitingNation.com
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!
  • TheOtherGreatOne
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I myself love Gregg's game. Harris and Strother both have game as well. Harris and Strother have plenty of talent, but Gregg has talent at 6'10''. Unless the shorter players have had a bunch of puplicity while they were in high school the bigger player is going to get the benefit of the doubt. If Gregg would have played at one of the big basketball schools he would have been rated much higher than he was. Oh and by the way if Harris and Strother would have played at one of these basketball factories the would have been rated much higher. A perfect example of this is Boston that played at Kentucky last year. He was rated top 5 in the country, because he was the top player on the team that labron james' son played on, you know one of the basketball factories. You saw what kind of player he actually was when he got to Kentucky. Harris, Gregg, and Strother are all better players than he was, much better. Also most of the basketball writers are from the east, and a lot of them have no clue as to whether a player west of the Mississippi can really play or not.

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

STRAWTHER will have a nice leap this season
      America's Team!

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
        STRAWTHER will have a nice leap this season
        Thank you.

It isn’t that hard. It really isn’t.
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          Thank you.

It isn’t that hard. It really isn’t.

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
            Final 2020 Rankings:
            #6 Jalen Suggs - rating 96
            #56 Ben Gregg - rating 85 (I think the site's "80" rating a misprint. See UCLA's Etienne a bit below for another.)
            #59 Dominick Harris - rating 85
            #62 Julian Strawther - rating 85

Fun takeaway -- Surprised that Gregg is listed above Harris and Strawther. This's in the context of this fan really liking Harris and Strawther. Three mid-80s four-stars is very impressive for this class (besides the obvious five-star gem, Jalen).

2022 Rankings:
            Braden Huff is ranked as a 4-star (rating 81). That's nice as I've been having trouble finding Braden in any Top-100 Rankings save for 247's.
            Find what players have committed to your favorite school. Videos, analysis and more on ESPN.com

Braden Huff is a 6-9, 205-pound Small Forward from Carol Stream, IL.

:]

**Of course our 2021 class was off-the-charts in terms of great players.
            http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...021/order/true
            The DUI thread veered into talk of current recruiting and whether or not the lack of crystal ball predictions for 5* players in ‘22 or ‘23 to Gonzaga should be cause for concern. I think not. My take is dudes Zags have now - Harris, Strawther, Gregg, Perry - and may still have - Hickman, Sallis, Holmgren - in 2022-23 are giving them pause. Holmgren most likely gone for sure (though I wonder if just needing more weight & strength pre NBA may incline him to return) but that’s some high end talent for a frosh to earn minutes over come 2022-23. Hoping both Sallis and Hickman are still around…unless they shine en route to a championship this season.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Working...
            X