• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Tillie’s status

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
    I really would be happy to see that but I don’t believe it will happen. The NBA doesn’t gamble too much, consider all the hype around Bol Bol and he barely made it being the 44th pick in the draft last year. Durability is a huge issue when teams consider using a draft pick.
    All the NBA does is gamble on half the draft. Pointing to Bol Bol only makes my point in that he had worse injuries than Tillie yet was drafted. Regardless, we will see and we all want him to get his shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• LTownZag
      Banned
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
      All the NBA does is gamble on half the draft. Pointing to Bol Bol only makes my point in that he had worse injuries than Tillie yet was drafted. Regardless, we will see and we all want him to get his shot.

They gamble when there seems to be a really high upside. They know many such gambles won’t pay off, but assume the minority’s that do pay off will have a high enough upside to compensate. A completely healthy Tillie who never sprains a pinky the rest of his life has an upside as an nba bench player that’s basically Kyle wiltjer who can defend.

Comment

• Zag365
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

As long as Tillie's medical status/availability remains a game time decision, let's hope it is messing with our opponents' heads/game prep as much as it is with the posters here.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
          They gamble when there seems to be a really high upside. They know many such gambles won’t pay off, but assume the minority’s that do pay off will have a high enough upside to compensate. A completely healthy Tillie who never sprains a pinky the rest of his life has an upside as an nba bench player that’s basically Kyle wiltjer who can defend.
          You really don't think much of the quality of Zag players, do you?

I know that we disagree on the Clarke thing, now this and, after ALL of last season and 26 games THIS season didn't know how to spell Filip's name.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
            Zag for Life
            • May 2008

I think you highly underrate the ability of Tillie at the next level but to each their own I suppose.

Comment

• jpn17
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
              Since it was a game-time decision, and the fact that he warmed up pre-game, I wouldn't worry about it. He'll be fine.
              Agreed...honestly I think the only reason he played at Saint Mary's is because it was Saint Mary's. If that game had been LMU or Portland I don't think he would have played. I have no info on how his ankle is progressing, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all if he sits against USF, plays against BYU and sits against USD.

Comment

• upan8th
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

With that kind of uncertainty, the Books should have labeled yesterday's game and each Zag game going forward as NO LINE. Am I the only one who had no clue Killian would not be playing yesterday? If you think I doth protest too much, count yourselves lucky I chose not to bet on the game.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

Tillie out was a surprise to me as well. Did I miss something prior on that? Petro really stepped up for this one and thankfully Corey's three was falling. Joel came on late, Woolridge seemed slow to get things going, Admon is money. Wooly turnovers early kept us in check. Love the fight our big Texas boy has in him.
                  One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Hogan
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Mar 2007

I don’t think TTown’s comment was a knock on Tillie. A Wiltjer who can defend would be a very good player

Comment

• LTownZag
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      You really don't think much of the quality of Zag players, do you?

I know that we disagree on the Clarke thing, now this and, after ALL of last season and 26 games THIS season didn't know how to spell Filip's name.

I think Brandon Clarke's season at GU was the best year for a power forward in GU history. I don't think Clarke is as good as Zion Williamson, or will be as productive this year or over their careers. I offered to make a small gentleman's bet with the money amount of your choice going to a charity of your choice if your predicted outcome (Clarke better than Zion) materialized. You declined to support your views with anything other than typing, but then tell me I don't think much of Zag player quality. My viewpoint Zion>Clarke is shared by the vast vast majority of basketball teams who were putting their money on the line to pay for players, not just typing on keyboards. Clarke was a steal at #1. He's not better than Zion or Ja.

Can you provide an NBA comparison for a healthy Tillie which is more accurate than my description "Wiltjer, but who can defend"? Let's just hope and plan that he's never injured again. Who is his NBA comparison that isn't a role player coming off the bench for a quarter of the game or less?

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                      I think you highly underrate the ability of Tillie at the next level but to each their own I suppose.
                      Which professional players would you see a healthy Tillie being at all similar to?
                      Last edited by LTownZag; 02-16-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• LTownZag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                        I don’t think TTown’s comment was a knock on Tillie. A Wiltjer who can defend would be a very good player

Thank you

I think Tillie is very good. I think Wiltjer is very good. I think even if healthy all year, Tillie wouldn't be a top 14 (lottery) pick, and his NBA comparisons are not NBA starter types. I;d prefer to be proven wrong. WillandI says "you don't think much of the quality of Zag Players" but i'd like to think accurately of their quality.

Very few seniors (even totally healthy ones) go in the top 14 (lottery) in recent years, and most have been all american or national player of the year types (Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, etc). Cam Johnson, taken at 11th last year, surprised most draft projectors by going so soon. His season shooting 46% from 3 with more attempts per game than Tillie has ever tried, and amid a tougher conference caught a lot of GMs' eyes. He is a 7ppg bench buy for one of the worst teams in the NBA.
                        Last edited by LTownZag; 02-16-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Just four regular season games left: USF, @BYU, USD, SMC. If Killian is unable to play on his senior night vs Gaels that will be so damn sad I will likely cry.
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Thank you

I think Tillie is very good. I think Wiltjer is very good. I think even if healthy all year, Tillie wouldn't be a top 14 (lottery) pick, and his NBA comparisons are not NBA starter types. I;d prefer to be proven wrong. WillandI says "you don't think much of the quality of Zag Players" but i'd like to think accurately of their quality.

Very few seniors (even totally healthy ones) go in the top 14 (lottery) in recent years, and most have been all american or national player of the year types (Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, etc). Cam Johnson, taken at 11th last year, surprised most draft projectors by going so soon. His season shooting 46% from 3 with more attempts per game than Tillie has ever tried, and amid a tougher conference caught a lot of GMs' eyes. He is a 7ppg bench buy for one of the worst teams in the NBA.
                            Cam Johnson, at 6'8" and 205 lbs, is not necessarily the best comparison to Tillie, either.

Comment

• Zagger
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                              Just four regular season games left: USF, @BYU, USD, SMC. If Killian is unable to play on his senior night vs Gaels that will be so damn sad I will likely cry.
                              Me as well

My gut feeling is that Killian will not play until the team’s in Provo. And that if he isn’t going to play against USF @ home this week the team will say something before the game. Killian has not been an athlete who dials things back on the court. When he plays he does so with abandon. A guy like that is best to be healed up pretty darn well before playing in games.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                                I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Yuma, AZ that Killian misses the St. Marys game. They will roll him out on the court in a wheelchair if they have to. I personally don't think his injury is serious; it looks like they are just resting him for March. I don't expect him to play vs USF, but I do expect to see him play in Provo.

Comment

Working...
                                X