• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Unrest in Moraga

From GIAG, "Where do we go from here?:

Then there is the schedule. It is what it is. We are in November and we amazingly have to realize that not only have we lost an upper seed in the March NCAA tournament, we have most likely lost our at large berth in that event. Quite simply we will have to win all of our remaining games against opponents not named Gonzaga and we will have to beat the Zags at least once.

That is a tall order especially since the Portland tournament has erased all remaining doubt that Gonzaga does not continue among the nation's elite. They not only look like a top 20 team but also a top 10 team with even some chance of returning to the final four. Running the table against the others is hardly a given. San Diego in particular is much better than expected and would be favored against us in Jenny Craig if the game was tomorrow.
    If that's the sentiment in Moraga, they must be going crazy in Tucson...

IMO, the Gaels hit a bit of a speed bump, nothing more. They shouldn't have any problems with the rest of the WCC. Every team gets sky high against the Zags, especially at home. Do they reach the same level of intensity against SMC? Doubtful.
  • sideshow06
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2012

If they can start playing defense, there's reason to hope. The offense is still plenty potent. But if they can't - and as optimistic a Gael fan as I am, I don't see an easy solution - then we're basically a smarter, more meticulous BYU. And that's depressing. Yes, we miss Rahon (and Pineau) more than we thought, but its not about leadership or grittiness. It's lockdown one-on-one D by Rahon and clogging the middle and rebounds from Pineau. We all figured someone would develop, but they're basically the same guys they were last year (which isn't exactly terrible), but they need to find a defensive spark fast. You guys will eat us alive, and we're bound to drop a game or two (or worse) to the rest. We've got expectation whiplash and need to buckle down quick to salvage something.

Comment

• JAGzag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Perhaps, but their OCC leaves zero room for error and they lost two games they should have won. The committtee doesn’t seem to give schools like SMC a lot of slack.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post

IMO, the Gaels hit a bit of a speed bump, nothing more. They shouldn't have any problems with the rest of the WCC. Every team gets sky high against the Zags, especially at home. Do they reach the same level of intensity against SMC? Doubtful.
        But given the "quality" scheduling done by SMC... think the poster is dead on. They have to win it all to get into the dance... period.
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

They have to win the WCC Tourney...

Comment

• titopoet
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2008

schadenfreude served cold leaves a bitter taste.
            ----
            Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sideshow06 View Post
              If they can start playing defense, there's reason to hope. The offense is still plenty potent. But if they can't - and as optimistic a Gael fan as I am, I don't see an easy solution - then we're basically a smarter, more meticulous BYU. And that's depressing. Yes, we miss Rahon (and Pineau) more than we thought, but its not about leadership or grittiness. It's lockdown one-on-one D by Rahon and clogging the middle and rebounds from Pineau. We all figured someone would develop, but they're basically the same guys they were last year (which isn't exactly terrible), but they need to find a defensive spark fast. You guys will eat us alive, and we're bound to drop a game or two (or worse) to the rest. We've got expectation whiplash and need to buckle down quick to salvage something.
              Sideshow, there's plenty of expectation whiplash here, too.

We'll eat you alive? Doubtful...I like our chances, but only fools overlook a team as good as the Gaels.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post

Its much more than a speed bump - they should be panicking with those two losses to Washington St. & Georgia. Where are any quality wins going to come from? Cal is a dumpster fire, their best win so far is a home game against New Mexico St. and their best remaining game is home to Dayton who RPIForecast predicts will wind up at an 83 RPI. They are a joke that belongs in the NIT. The Zags will wipe the floor with them, BYU will probably sneak one, and they'll probably drop another 2-3 in league.

Comment

• EEzag
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                  Its much more than a speed bump - they should be panicking with those two losses to Washington St. & Georgia. Where are any quality wins going to come from? Cal is a dumpster fire, their best win so far is a home game against New Mexico St. and their best remaining game is home to Dayton who RPIForecast predicts will wind up at an 83 RPI. They are a joke that belongs in the NIT. The Zags will wipe the floor with them, BYU will probably sneak one, and they'll probably drop another 2-3 in league.
                  JL is going to be a problem for everyone in the league. We should handle the ball much better than 2nd half vs. Texas, but if we don't we could easily drop 2 of 3 to the Gaels. Lots of turnovers against a team with a competent big man can erase a discrepancy in talent very quickly.

In other news....JWIII better work up an appetite because he is going to FEAST on the WCC this year.

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

It was perfectly reasonable...... given all the unknowns at Gonzaga...... for the Gaels to be the pre season favorite....but now, those unknowns are known and Gonzaga is the clear favorite ....

I will go so far to say that they are not only a better team, but they are better at every position, including the 5.....

IMHO Gonzaga will win the Conference and probably the WCC Tournament...... although anything can happen in a individual game.

I will add that BYU is also making progress and USF will have something to say about who wins what...

Comment

• bigblahla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EEzag View Post
                      JL is going to be a problem for everyone in the league. We should handle the ball much better than 2nd half vs. Texas, but if we don't we could easily drop 2 of 3 to the Gaels. Lots of turnovers against a team with a competent big man can erase a discrepancy in talent very quickly.

In other news....JWIII better work up an appetite because he is going to FEAST on the WCC this year.
                      Comparing Texas to SMC is comical.....SMC is a good team but compared to Texas slow footed with much less athletic ability.

No way in hell does SMC beat the Zags this season. Zags are far more athletic and play at a faster TEAM speed with a much more vertical game. Zags can be dominant on defense. SMC is a matador defensive team and against an offensive juggernaut like the Zags they will be hard pressed to stay within 10 points.....Zags beat them by double digits no matter where the game is played...only Zag injuries and zebras can change that.

The Gaels are on life support already and it's not even December....but hey Gollum got his 10 yr contract....the Gaels have some real good recruits coming in and will be serious contenders once again but in 17-18 it's all smoke and mirrors. Landale and Naar can't carry them over the Zags . I love Hermanson but he is far from consistent....if all three are on SMC will hang around but fade and fall by double digits.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
                      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• webspinnre
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I'd never just assume that we'll sweep SMC. They get up for GU in a big way, even if we are the better team.
                        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Mantua
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                          I'd never just assume that we'll sweep SMC. They get up for GU in a big way, even if we are the better team.
                          Horrible things can happen to the Zags during Bay Area weekends. You never know.
                          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• webspinnre
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
                            Horrible things can happen to the Zags during Bay Area weekends. You never know.
                            Exactly. I've been to a couple of GU games in Moraga, and that place is rocking when we visit. Standing room only.
                            I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

From GIAG:

Saint Mary's: Begins a six-game homestand Monday against Sacramento State.
                              That follows a big "road game" at Cal over the weekend. I look forward to seeing Hermanson being shadowed by Silas, Jeremy, or some other Zag. He's not going to score 20 against us.

Comment

Working...
                              X