X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

One man’s “stinks” is another man’s bench depth, I suppose. 4 assists a game is decent. I haven’t seen him play but a former 5* is probably reasonably athletic.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
      I am literally going to copy and paste what I wrote in the “who is our other starting guard” thread on the main board:

I sure hope not. He is one of the most underwhelming, under performing five star recruits ever. In his last game in the PAC 12 tournament he scored a grand total of two points versus Washington.He was recruited over at Duke and under performed at USC. I’d rather have Ravet.
      He only jumped up that high when he said he was going to duke. The guy is terrible.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Bench depth, fine. Starter, heck no. Again, his #'s were worse than Geno's across the board. I don't want him taking minutes away from Ravet's development.
        I would just as soon have Ayeyi { or however you spell it }playing than this guy.

Comment

• ZagBlue
          Kennel Club Material
          • Apr 2019

What walk on are you referring to? Wouldn't Ravet start along Gilder if Nix or anyone else didn't come aboard.
          Please read my full post before you post. I didn’t say “start,” I said “PROBABLY get playing time.”
          I’m not here to argue with anybody, I just think people need to be more reasonable. A few weeks ago when it became apparent that we might lose Norvell, most were very concerned because we had no backcourt depth. Fast forward 2 weeks and we have secured an All SEC type player and perhaps a kid who started almost every game while at Duke and then at USC. Whether they work out or not, I’m not sure what more anyone could hope for as a 1 season bandaid. Also, most on here were hoping for a pg who simply played good D and a solid floor game. The knock on Thornton seems to be his shooting but his D by reputation is supposedly “fantastic” and he had a 2:1 assist to TO ratio with 4+ assts in only 28min a game. That’s pretty good.

Comment

• scrooner
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Just to clarify, there's no indication anywhere that I know of (other than caldwellzag throwing his name out as a question mark) that Thornton has any interest in GU, or vice-versa. I just saw that he's a grad transfer PG with some potential.

Comment

• GUZag08
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jan 2008

I've never understood posts like this. Do you need to be on a coaching staff to see that a player is not very good?
              Clearly you’ve never understood posts like this

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2019

I'm not a massive fan, but his per 40 have some interesting numbers and USC was a mess the last two years. At this point there are slim pickings on the transfer market. If Brock is our starter next year we are a first weekend and mostly a first round team. He will not be ready as a freshman.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                  I'm not a massive fan, but his per 40 have some interesting numbers and USC was a mess the last two years. At this point there are slim pickings on the transfer market. If Brock is our starter next year we are a first weekend and mostly a first round team. He will not be ready as a freshman.
                  Smart post, thank you.
                  Last edited by Goshzagit; 05-10-2019, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• bigblahla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                    He will be a frosh by class but not by experience come March.... with the talent around him he will do fine...

Go!! Zags!!!
                    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

I would take him quickly. I don’t think he sucks. If you look at where he played which USC is garbage, I’d take him. He’d have to have interest first tho
                      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
                        I am surprised at all the hate being heaped on Geno. I think some are fixated on how he lit us up last year and were expecting something more along those lines. Frankly after he got past the injury, I looked forward to him coming in for his defense. And I’m glad we had him. Just my opinion.
                        +1.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                          Kennel Club Alum
                          • Oct 2008

Did some research. I’m on board with a great on ball defender and ball handler that takes care of the ball and knows how to get the ball to his teammates in a position to succeed.

I’m sure the majority of fans would also be on board, especially if the staff believes he would be a good fit for us to add backcourt depth and another veteran presence.

I counted 3 total people against the idea. Let’s not confuse a majority of the posts in this thread being negative with the majority of people being so negative about Derryck helping to bridge the gap until 2020.

Comment

• kyle dixon
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Agree

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
                            Did some research. I’m on board with a great on ball defender and ball handler that takes care of the ball and knows how to get the ball to his teammates in a position to succeed.

I’m sure the majority of fans would also be on board, especially if the staff believes he would be a good fit for us to add backcourt depth and another veteran presence.

I counted 3 total people against the idea. Let’s not confuse a majority of the posts in this thread being negative with the majority of people being so negative about Derryck helping to bridge the gap until 2020.
                            +1

Comment

• Bogozags
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

Regardless of posters' negative responses about Thornton, we in general know squat about this process and IF the staff likes him than I'm onboard with that decision or any other decision.

IMO Geno, even with his injury, still had a positive impact on last year's team...wasn't what we all expected but I thought his play was not great but fine.

Comment

• North Idaho Zag
                                Bulldog Fan
                                • Nov 2013

Honest question, because I never quite understood the relevance of it; why do many people cite “per 40” when no one plays 40 minutes a game in college basketball.
                                It is simply so you can compare two players to each other over an equal time frame. While few if any play 40 per game, it's also not likely two players you want to compare will average the same minutes. You could pick any time to average out the stats to but since a game is 40 minutes long, it is just a good, convenient number.

Comment

Working...
                                X