• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spike#1
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2016

Rui Drops 35

Posting here so most will see. Mods, feel free to move as wished.

Rui scores 35 against New Zealand.

• Therunner
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Posting here so most will see. Mods, feel free to move as wished.

Rui scores 35 against New Zealand.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rui-hac...155028164.html
    That's awesome yet not surprising. Excellent player who has an unlimited ceiling. After meeting him in person a couple of times, his length, height, muscle combined with his skill, versatility, & athleticism made him a mismatch all around the court.

Another reason he easily and routinely scored 25 pts a game.

I also watched two of his games in summer League this summer, and he was dominate, all over the court. Flying around, sacrificing his body, making plays, and scoring at every level.

And also the reason, I know we did not see the same Rui from Vegas through the NCAA Tournament games.

Rui looked almost disinterested in Vegas, and looked checked out through first 3 rounds of NCAA. Jogging, only facing up, etc

He seemed to look a tad more focused and better effort vs Tech, yet even that game DID NOT look like the previous 25 games he played (Maui through February), nor the games I watched this Summer. Or in these games.

I know what type of player Rui is and was, and we didnt see that player show up in post season play. It happens. Not to mention all the pressure/attn/distraction from agents, media, Japanese presence asking about 'what team he wants to play for, or what draft pick he will be' prior to our opening round game vs Fairleigh Dickinson.

I dont blame him one bit.

But I digress, Rui will be a fantastic ambassador and player for Gonzaga a the highest level. Excited to watch him grow his game in NBA.

Comment

• Zag365
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

September 5

USA vs. Japan. Huge spotlight on Rui from both sides of the Pacific.

Comment

• Zagdawg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Washington Wizards
        @WashWizards
        ·
        15m
        Rui Hachimura played in another international friendly against New Zealand today ����

19 POINTS | 9 REBOUNDS | 25 MINUTES

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

One of the comments in the story link insists it’s “too bad” Gonzaga has become a ‘one and done school’

Insert eye roll here. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
            One of the comments in the story link insists it’s “too bad” Gonzaga has become a ‘one and done school’

Insert eye roll here. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If EVER a team has gained from 3 years of development at GU it is the Wizards. No kid we've ever seen went further in development than Rui. KO is the only one in the same discussion in terms of starting somewhere and finishing in another dimension. But Rui stands alone.

Now the Wizards just have to not ruin him.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
              If EVER a team has gained from 3 years of development at GU it is the Wizards. No kid we've ever seen went further in development than Rui. KO is the only one in the same discussion in terms of starting somewhere and finishing in another dimension. But Rui stands alone.

Now the Wizards just have to not ruin him.
              I would say Turiaf is in that group. Very raw as a fr. In Few's words, we've never had a learner like him.

Comment

• amaronizag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Jul 2013

I think Clarke matches Rui. I'm hoping we add can Balo to that group after this year. I have higher hopes for him than I did Rui at the same age and point of development. Time will tell.

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                  I would say Turiaf is in that group. Very raw as a fr. In Few's words, we've never had a learner like him.
                  Wasn't Turiaf 4 years?
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                    Wasn't Turiaf 4 years?
                    Yes.

Apparently considered leaving after 3, but stuck around for another year so his friend B Mike "wouldn't have to walk alone on Sr. Night".
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      Wasn't Turiaf 4 years?
                      Yes (as was Olynyk); I thought the point was development over the course of a career, whether 3 yrs or 4.

Comment

• MickMick
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

Comparing freshman to senior years. Sacre and Pargo were the benchmark for improvement differential. Both had some freshman struggles.

Now it is Olynyk and Hachimura over three years (although Olynyk's redshirt may put him in a unique category).

For a single season, I think it is Clarke although an argument can be made for Olynyk. KO's transformation was rather remarkable.
                        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Skimhvn
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Nov 2017

If you need...
                          this is game2, game1 is deleted
                          Japanese fan

Comment

• scrooner
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

and....highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2s2ty38Xo8

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                              Yes (as was Olynyk); I thought the point was development over the course of a career, whether 3 yrs or 4.
                              That was my point. And Turiaf is in the Olynick category, yes. But both Olynick - and Turiaf, were on the floor their freshman year in meaningful minutes. Rui was not, and it wasn't just language.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X