• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor
  • NorCalCoug
    Bulldog Fan
    • Jan 2011

Wish we could take Gonzaga with us!

Comment

• 23dpg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If it comes to pass it will be a significant loss for the Zags.
      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• zagdontzig
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by NorCalCoug View Post
        Wish we could take Gonzaga with us!
        This is a football decision, and we don't have football.

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
        If it comes to pass it will be a significant loss for the Zags.
        It's a matter of perspective. From BYU's view point, they pick off a game more often than other WCC teams, so they (and some Zags fans) assume it's better for WCC competition and Gonzaga. From Gonzaga's viewpoint, we won WCC titles before they showed, we continued to win them after they showed, we have been at the doorstep of a title twice in the last four years, and BYU has literally won nothing besides regular season games since joining the WCC. For as strong as all the metrics say BYU is, SMC has more titles since BYU joined. What does BYU add?
        Originally posted by Reborn
        Go Zags!!!
        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2009

BYU adds a team that is often tournament quality. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think the WCC (and by proxy Gonzaga) is worse off if/when we lose BYU.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Gonzaga loses 2-3 solid conference games with BYU leaving the WCC.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

I was afraid of this. Greedily, I was hoping the PAC-12 would pick off Tech and Ok-ST, dealing a death blow to the Big-12. In such a case, BYU probably stays in the WCC.

But congrats to BYU if it unfolds.

Comment

• seacatfan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2014

Timing is everything! Joining the Big 12 now is kinda nonsensical, it's dying.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  Was “dying,” but only if the vultures came. They may have passed, giving new life.

Texas hasn’t been top tier for quite some time in football. BYU was superior last season. If they add another good program, and there are a few (Houston, for example), they lose a bit in terms of marketability, but not much in terms of caliber of play.

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                    At the present time, they still have valid TV contracts and if they can add four solid teams (BYU, BSU, Houston, and ?), then they might be able to hold on to their TV contracts as well as the play-offs.

I will hate to see BYU leave as they were two to three Top 50 games...Maybe, if they do leave, they might still play us a home and home...

The question now is who does the WCC get to replace BYU "IF" they leave...the pickings are slim to be sure...

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2012

- i doubt very much byu would play us if they leave for the big 12, i think in their private confessions they would be glad to be done with the zags.

- if byu leaves i'm not sure the wcc has to find a new school, but i'd think seattle university will come begging.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                        - i doubt very much byu would play us if they leave for the big 12, i think in their private confessions they would be glad to be done with the zags.

- if byu leaves i'm not sure the wcc has to find a new school, but i'd think seattle university will come begging.
                        I think Gonzaga will take on a renewed interest in moving in as well. Just speculation and timing is always key.

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                          BYU was superior last season. .

Not exactly murderer's row:

ESPN has the full 2020 BYU Cougars Regular Season NCAAF schedule. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all Cougars games.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

whitworth and eastern have football teams.
                            many many universities smaller than GU have football teams.
                            I know dropping football in 1941 made sense, the war, plus it was expensive.
                            This is 81 years later, what are the compelling arguments now?
                            Is GU committed to staying small everywhere while BB gets big?
                            Are any of the Trustees interested in growing the college as BB grows? If the answer is yes (and I know in some respects it is happening now) what is the specific reason for no football?
                            Even if GU basketball was average wouldn't it still be legitimate question to ask about football 80 yrs later?
                            I mean is this question ever revisited for its own reasons?
                            Not counting the Cal State schools which have huge enrollments, I see only about 20 Division One schools out of 358 that do not have football teams.

I am asking, I don't know enough to advocate football, so I am asking ...

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post

I just don't see Seattle U. having much to offer, other than a large market...but they are a non entity here really. It's all UW, SU really has no presence at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X