• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Zags future hoops Unclear PART II

I am trying to reopen this thread because I believe it's too important to let disappear. There is some great information on THAT thread, Jim Meehan's article, some info by Go Zags about the Vulkar Center which would be part of the Gonzaga Bubble if selected. I had no idea there was a Vulkar Center gymnasium. There's a nice picture of it on the link that Bob Zag left. It's beautiful and built in 2018, not long ago. So there are 3 gyms, interconnected (thus a bubble). I can see how Gonzaga could be selected to be a Bubble.

Jim Meehan's article in the Spokesman: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-game-plan-t/ is a much needed article to read about the future of GU hoops. Here is the link to the Vulkar gymnasium left by Go Zags. As for the Volkar Center (which is attached to K1 and K2) ... please peruse this link

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Is this for the tourny or for PNW teams to play regular season games?

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
      Is this for the tourny or for PNW teams to play regular season games?
      From what I read the talk about Gonzaga being a bubble was for the WCC conference games. However, the bubble concept has also been talked about for the NCAA Tournament also. Go ahead and read the article. I left a link to the article in the Spokesman.

Go Zags!!!
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
        From what I read the talk about Gonzaga being a bubble was for the WCC conference games. However, the bubble concept has also been talked about for the NCAA Tournament also. Go ahead and read the article. I left a link to the article in the Spokesman.

Go Zags!!!
        Thanks reborn!!

Comment

• DonJuan
          Redshirt
          • Nov 2018

Has anyone asked the rest of the WCC teams? Why would USF, Santa Clara, St. Mary's and Pacific go to Spokane to play in a bubble? And the SoCal teams would travel 1000 miles to be in a bubble? It would make most sense to play in the Bay Area.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DonJuan View Post
            Has anyone asked the rest of the WCC teams? Why would USF, Santa Clara, St. Mary's and Pacific go to Spokane to play in a bubble? And the SoCal teams would travel 1000 miles to be in a bubble? It would make most sense to play in the Bay Area.
            The State of California has been one of the most risk-averse in the country and has had strict criteria for easing social distancing restrictions. They are currently also dealing with an uptick in cases. I personally doubt that the leadership there would have the stomach to create a bubble site unless there is dramatic improvement in the metrics used to monitor the pandemic.

Comment

• webspinnre
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              The State of California has been one of the most risk-averse in the country and has had strict criteria for easing social distancing restrictions. They are currently also dealing with an uptick in cases. I personally doubt that the leadership there would have the stomach to create a bubble site unless there is dramatic improvement in the metrics used to monitor the pandemic.
              I live in the Bay Area, and would be shocked if they permitted something like this. All high school sports are cancelled through the end of 2020, with fall sports moving to the spring, and everything being reshuffled from there.
              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                I live in the Bay Area, and would be shocked if they permitted something like this. All high school sports are cancelled through the end of 2020, with fall sports moving to the spring, and everything being reshuffled from there.
                Would they let college kids leave to go play somewhere else? I assume a 14 day quarantine would be needed on the back end...

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I don't think they can stop a kid from doing things outside of California. As for how things are down there, I was in LA 10 days ago speaking. Dead is the word. Dead. Spokane looks like Las Vegas comparatively. Beverly Hills empty. West side LA, very eerily quiet. Sunset Blvd, hardly many cars. Freeways..low activity. But I do think kids and teams can still play, just not in CA.

Comment

• webspinnre
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                    Would they let college kids leave to go play somewhere else? I assume a 14 day quarantine would be needed on the back end...
                    Rules on that sort of thing change weekly, I've got no idea what that'll end up looking come November, December, or January.
                    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• krozman
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2008

Can we just move everyone to Fight island. 300+ teams, 15 games for seeding, and then everyone fights until only one remains. I'm sure they can still do their overpriced zoom classes from the other side of the world.
                      Krozman
                      GU student 1996-2000
                      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by krozman View Post
                        Can we just move everyone to Fight island. 300+ teams, 15 games for seeding, and then everyone fights until only one remains. I'm sure they can still do their overpriced zoom classes from the other side of the world.
                        I like that idea, as long as the games are played in gigantic steal cages and the winners earn their weight in gasoline and cured meats (it's time for the players to get compensated for what they do)

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DonJuan View Post
                          There won't be any fans, so there really isn't a 'home' advantage. Gonzaga has access to to multiple courts on campus. There are hotels literally linked to the campus by walkways. Volkar is a great facility to support socially distanced dining along with its court and video facilities. There is no other school in the WCC outside of BYU that can offer that.

Maybe split the Men and Women teams between BYU and GU.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

I think it's getting really interesting what is going on in D1 football. When the PAC-12 and BigTen announced they were moving football until spring I assumed it would be 1-2 days and everyone would follow, but as of now 6 of 10 conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Con-USA, and Sun Belt) were still planning on fall football. That is 76 of 130 D1 programs. The 4 conferences pushing football until spring (PAC-12, BigTen, MW, and MAC) with some independents only total 54. If the majority continue forward with fall football, unless it's a total debacle, we should be having basketball on time. What happens with the BCS? Who controls that? Its outside if the NCAA. Do we have a fall and spring national champion? Did the spring conferences cost themselves money from the New Years 6 bowl games? Weird wild stuff.

Multiple news outlets reported that the Big Ten is considering kicking off its college football season the week of Thanksgiving, among other options.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2019

WCC basketball is mostly supported by ESPN television money, correct? And CBS-SN and ROOT Sports Northwest as well, to some extent. If we have to play without fans, so be it, but at least we can have a season. If Major League Baseball can have a season without fans (albiet, a wacky one), then so can we.

I have a positive feeling that the Zags will have some kind of season. The NBA is doing the bubble thing, and their playoffs are going on without a hitch. Granted, these players are being paid, but our current Zags are playing for some kind of NBA draft position. If the scouts can't see them play.....................

Comment

Working...
                              X