• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    True but their 10 misses kept us in the game. Check turnovers, 17-8
    Agree the TO’s is what stands out to me.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
      Definitely was the TOs plus we didn't have right scheme to control Banchero in first-half. He had so many good looks, got hot, and gave Duke a lot of confidence.
      Hard to scheme when bigs get in foul trouble and you have Perry guarding him (scored 10 points against Perry in 5 minutes)…………..
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• kitzbuel
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by demian View Post
        If we cut that to, say, 13 turn overs we probably win the game. That would represent about a 5 point swing because we would get around 4 more possessions and Duke would lose a couple possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

the turnovers occurred mostly because we couldn't handle their smothering defense, at least as much as much as not valuing the ball.
          I am almost happy we got a loss. Mostly because what I said last year all the time, when you don't play a lot of close games, you aren't ready for those rare ones that come along.
          I thought refs made mistakes on both sides.
          drawing fouls is an art, and I think Duke practices that more than we do.
          Analyzing with 'what if's" doesn't work for me in this game, they have as many what ifs as we have. The better team won this day, and they earned it. We like to pressure others, but need practice and experience with teams like this, and we won't get it probably until march again.
          Banchero played over his head, unsustainable quality play over several games. but he did what great athletes are supposed to, do cash in their best games in the big ones. Chet will do that, but couldn't tonight. He is amazingly tough for the number of times big opponents knock him on the floor. If I was few I would ask him to not take charges under the basket. an injury to him would be a significant blow. I am waiting for his 3 pt shooting to rise, we know he can drop them when getting open looks, which he mostly takes, and I think they will start falling.
          The pressure of a close game disrupted our players. I hope we have some more, win or lose. Last year we had one close game - UCLA. (my opinion is that West Virginia didn't really threaten us much in that game, and we were not trading leads - or be ahead by just 1 or 2 pots- in the last ten minutes. This year we finally got one. No way to get better at playing close games than by experiencing them. my idea of a close game is where the lead changes hands a lot in the last ten minutes.
          If Sallis has a good jump shot, 2 pointers and 3 pointers, we need to start seeing that pretty soon. Sallis and Chet on 3 pointers, don't forget Willy Mays got a handful of hits in his first 30 something at bats. Time solved it, and will for them too. Sallis is finally taking fewer bad shots, and Julian is too. You know Few will be on them until they get that in their heads. Somehow when Anton takes a bad shot we all forgive him (including me), i am not sure why that is. I get irritated when Julian and Hunter take them.
          This was the fire hose we needed to spray our team with a loss, last year we might have done better without the extraordinary hype - very difficult for 19 and 20 yr old boys to ignore. So glad we are one of the good teams, not the soaring above everyone else golden team. Unlike our loss to Butler this was a good loss, and will almost have as many pros as cons, IMO.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Willy Mays got a handful of hits in his first 30 something at bats.
            I remember reading My Giants by Russ Hodges many moons ago. He told a story about Willie Mays when the Giants brought him up from Birmingham. IIRC, he was oh for his first 16 at bats. He was in tears after that game, thinking he couldn't make it in the majors. His manager Leo Durocher told him he was his center fielder, period.

The rest is history.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
              I remember reading My Giants by Russ Hodges many moons ago. He told a story about Willie Mays when the Giants brought him up from Birmingham. IIRC, he was oh for his first 16 at bats. He was in tears after that game, thinking he couldn't make it in the majors. His manager Leo Durocher told him he was his center fielder, period.

The rest is history.
              Check this Willie’s start for the Gints. Not A typo.

In his Major League debut on July 30, 1959, McCovey went four-for-four against Hall-of-Famer Robin Roberts of the Philadelphia Phillies with two singles and two triples. McCovey found major league pitchers simpler to hit than minor leaguers because the major leaguers had better control of their pitches.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

I get the willies just listening to you guys talk about my Willie's. I am one of the original home boys for the Giants, along with hundreds of thousands of other junior high school students from the Bay Area of that era.
                I grew up next to Berkeley and rooted for my baseball team, the 'Oakland Oaks.' Then I heard a rumor to good to be true that the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers were relocating to SF and LA. I lived, ate, and breathed Willy Mays my favorite athlete of all time, still is. With my mitt we would go to center field and hope to snag a home run . My entire memory until much later was listening to the games on radio cuz my parents, most parents, did not have TV's yet. I remember the acquisition of Willie McCovey and his first game, only that it started with a bang, but I was elated. I did not remember the details of McCovey's first day batting, but I remember hoping he would be the hitter Mays and Orlando Cepeda were.
                Oh, the good 'ol days. Raised in the Bay Area for my first 19 years.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                  I get the willies just listening to you guys talk about my Willie's. I am one of the original home boys for the Giants, along with hundreds of thousands of other junior high school students from the Bay Area of that era.
                  I grew up next to Berkeley and rooted for my baseball team, the 'Oakland Oaks.' Then I heard a rumor to good to be true that the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers were relocating to SF and LA. I lived, ate, and breathed Willy Mays my favorite athlete of all time, still is. With my mitt we would go to center field and hope to snag a home run . My entire memory until much later was listening to the games on radio cuz my parents, most parents, did not have TV's yet. I remember the acquisition of Willie McCovey and his first game, only that it started with a bang, but I was elated. I did not remember the details of McCovey's first day batting, but I remember hoping he would be the hitter Mays and Orlando Cepeda were.
                  Stretch McCovey was a pure hitter. Playing with Willie Howard Mays didn’t hurt. I spent my formative years at Ebbets Field with the Boys of Summer, a million miles from the Polo Grounds.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

no wonder you are such a Dodgers fan Jazz, grew up around them in Brooklyn, and eventually lived in So. California were they went. What I remember about the Bay Area sports fans is envy that the LA teams usually did better, attacking them all the time for being 'plastic and materialistic' compared to SF, we carried on with this stuff by ourselves to ourselves. When I met folks from LA it turns out most of them seemed to know little and cared less about Bay Area sports anything. LA can't help it, so many people and so much money, they kind of ran California without self consciousness.

Comment

• daskim
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                      Also grew up loving the Giants with Willie Mays, McCovey, Willie Kirkland, Cepeda, and the Alou brothers.

Was there at Candlestick when Mays hit his 512 home run breaking Mel Ott's record (Giants).

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                        Also grew up loving the Giants with Willie Mays, McCovey, Willie Kirkland, Cepeda, and the Alou brothers.

Was there at Candlestick when Mays hit his 512 home run breaking Mel Ott's record (Giants).
                        Those were my guys. I remember as a little kid (5 or 6) sitting way up in the Leftfield seats at Candlestick …. and hearing those around me yelling “Hit one up here, Willie !!!” when Mays was at bat.

Turns out around that time Willie Mays was the part time babysitter for one of my close GU friends (and teammate). His dad had coached … then later managed the Giants during the “Say Hey”
                        kid’s hay day.
                        sigpic
                        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jim77
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post

Loved me some Willie Mays#24 was my hero..I played cf...would practice the over the shoulder catch...CLASS

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Quick quiz for Gints fans, for which Army team did Mays play during his active duty?

Comment

• IowaSERE
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by demian View Post
                              Is it a turnover when Chet gets a rebound and is pushed to the ground and a travel is called?

Comment

• White lightning
                                Zag for Life
                                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
                                Is it a turnover when Chet gets a rebound and is pushed to the ground and a travel is called?
                                Yep

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X