• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
    Look, your entitled to your opinion and many on here would fight to protect your right to have that opinion BUT we are talking about how the safety precautions To control this virus are not being used and how that might lead to cancelling GU’s Championship season. Please don’t mix apple and oranges together...Thank You.
    The OP seemed, and still seems, like a thinly veiled excuse to get on a soap box and share unsolicited political opinions. I felt like sharing some of my own. I think there’s a bigger picture, here— and it’s not about losing a season of basketball.

It seems to me that it should start with not insulting persons in the guise of basketball discussion.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
      So is this the next basketball forum thread destined for closure ?
      Please. This one didn’t even get off the ground.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I wonder what would happen if the NBA short season goes off without a hitch or in theNFL games result in no major consequences. Would the NCAA allow the college seasons to move forward??

Comment

• sylean
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2010

before people think Fauci is the end all of expertise, he himself said back in late Feb that we won't have to worry about the covid virus....

he has a long history of working with the big pharma....

did people really think that locking the whole of society down for over 3 months now was really going to prevent a virus from circulating?.....

but now we have ourselves in this endless moving line....stopping the surge wasn't enough....now we can't have any cases.....none at all....its insanity.....

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sylean View Post
            before people think Fauci is the end all of expertise, he himself said back in late Feb that we won't have to worry about the covid virus....

he has a long history of working with the big pharma....

did people really think that locking the whole of society down for over 3 months now was really going to prevent a virus from circulating?.....

but now we have ourselves in this endless moving line....stopping the surge wasn't enough....now we can't have any cases.....none at all....its insanity.....
            We didn't have a lock down. Some states did, others didn't. The states that did still had people ignore the rules.

you can't have a peeing section in a swimming pool.
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Mexico, Iran, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, Nigeria, Uzbekistan, USA. All countries that have not figured out how to get their infections down. I guess we can throw Sweden in there too.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Zagger
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                Re the OP, the phrase “adults in the room” is unnecessarily provocative and doesn’t encourage dialogue over a sensitive issue about which thoughtful adults have differing opinions. I saw another article today that used peer reviewed literature to show that data in support of cloth and surgical masks as source infection control is sparse (it supported N95 use, fwiw). It is one thing to disagree, but another thing to insult persons with which one disagrees.

Meanwhile, a segment of Americans willfully ends a much higher number of lives via abortion than Covid ever will— and some persons are trying to find ways to kill more. It is every person’s prerogative to prioritize different personal freedoms over others, obviously.
                I agree with the "adults in the room" sentiment. If that is insulting to some - good. At least they're adult enough to be insulted. It's a virus we're fighting not some other political party. There are ways to fight viruses that are effective. Collectively we're doing a very bad job of it. Leading to the situation we're in (which will be a whole lot worse before it gets better).

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Persons under age 20 are half as susceptible to infection as persons over the age of 20, per the journal Nature. It’s another piece of the puzzle that adds a sliver of optimism.

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                    Being secluded at home, I recently watched the 60 year old version of the movie "War of the Worlds".

If COVID can kick the Martian asses, then we don't stand a chance.

No season. Ain't happening.
                    + 1

Sent via mobile device
                    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                      Persons under age 20 are half as susceptible to infection as persons over the age of 20, per the journal Nature. It’s another piece of the puzzle that adds a sliver of optimism.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0962-9
                      One big factor in reducing infections among children was keeping them from school, but children also adhere to social distancing better. They don’t shop, drive, go to bars, etc. They have their distancing enforced by their parents. That is a difference.

We thought that 20-35 group also had similar low transmission rates, but find that is not true now.
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• caduceus
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                        So is this the next basketball forum thread destined for closure ?
                        Inevitable. I've given up. Informative posts that educate? Relegated to the dungeon (while we are in the off season discussing whether we will even have a season). Personal opinions based on nothing? Business as usual. I haven't had more private messages asking for medical information than in the last ten years. Nearly all of my medical colleagues have given up on informing the public, due to the crazy uninformed whackadoodle backlash. Whatever happened to making informed decisions? I can't tell you how much despair is happening among the medical community. As one smart poster said...it's collective stupidity. My friend, BobZag used to say, "we're doomed." So weird how fantasy becomes reality.

Stay safe, RZ.

Edit:

Last edited by caduceus; 07-03-2020, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                          One big factor in reducing infections among children was keeping them from school, but children also adhere to social distancing better. They don’t shop, drive, go to bars, etc. They have their distancing enforced by their parents. That is a difference.

We thought that 20-35 group also had similar low transmission rates, but find that is not true now.
                          This is a very important article from NPR, in my opinion, that everyone should read. It doesn’t march your theory and may challenge your paradigm on this. For whatever reason, kids just don’t contract the disease as well as adults. 0.16% of children contracted the virus, and there was close to zero child-to-adult transmission of the virus in childcare centers that stayed open during this pandemic— and these were kids of essential workers.

Article: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/88231...ring-lockdowns

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                            Inevitable. I've given up. Informative posts that educate? Relegated to the dungeon (while we are in the off season discussing whether we will even have a season). Personal opinions based on nothing? Business as usual. I haven't had more private messages asking for medical information than in the last ten years. Nearly all of my medical colleagues have given up on informing the public, due to the crazy uninformed whackadoodle backlash. Whatever happened to making informed decisions? I can't tell you how much despair is happening among the medical community. As one smart poster said...it's collective stupidity. My friend, BobZag used to say, "we're doomed." So weird how fantasy becomes reality.

Stay safe, RZ.

Edit:

I do appreciate the insight you have from a professional viewpoint. There are a lot of people who may not post but read and act accordingly. Valid information is valuable.
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              I said it before and I'll say it again.

Lock down, everybody and every thing for 6 weeks. Only essentials. Health care, grocery and pharmacy to put you online or phone orders in the trunk. Truck drivers to deliver to food and prescripts to those places, Skeletal staff for utilities, for prescription delivery through the mail, and Law Enforcement to pick up those idiots that just refuse to obey. They will serve the 6 weeks (or until they are up) in jail, extended to 14 days after the lock down is over.
                              Every worker gets $5000, including landlords and bosses, but no corporations or companies. NO RENT for 2 months, but no payments to the banks by the landlords for two months. Utilities, cable tv, cell phone, credit cards etc get paid.
                              When the 6 weeks are up, people will burst out ready to spend that money. The economy will rebound.

We lose this season of MLB, Nascar etc, but we get ALL the college sports, the NFL and all fall, winter and spring sports. The NBA can go ahead because of their bubble/campus plan.
                              All tests go to health care, people that are transported and those they live with. Their quarantine lasts until they are proven clean.
                              I have proposed a plan to get a grip on COVID-19.
                              Is it draconian? Yes it is. Is it unconstitutional? I am not an attorney, so really can't say, but against the backdrop of requiring ALL men, at age 18 to register for the military draft, and, in the event of need, be called to report for duty, to go where and when this government decides, to risk life and limb, I would think not. By the time it got to court, the 6 weeks would be over.

I don't want to bog down in the discussion of legality. I would like to know what other ideas people have to get a grip on this virus. Whether a 4-6 week almost absolute lockdown would do the job?

Masking, washing hands and sanitizing and social distancing helped to flatten the curve, while they were in place, but were not actually intended to defeat the virus, just to slow the spread. Is there something else that will knock this puppy to it's knees until a viable vaccine is developed?
                              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• MDABE80
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

I could be wrong but looking at the data does that dictate that those states who opened are the same ones contributing to increased numbers of infections. Deaths are down still (for. NOw) but if we dont mask up, distance, and use common sense measures, bad things will happen. Worse though, deaths will soar. It’s just a matter of time. Honestly I never thought reopening states would bring this virus back so quickly. Remembering what safeguards brought the virus down, I’m not sure why the states reopenedwhen they had the results going their way. More to learn..

Comment

Working...
                                X