X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I'm wondering if Rui is kind of an outlier to the norm?

With him becoming the face of Japanese basketball & the Olympics coming to Tokyo next year, I'm sure there is a push by the Japanese National Team to get him acclimated to those team mates as soon & as much as possible.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Japan Times story on Japan's FIBA team roster announcement
      Big guns set to lead Japan at FIBA World Cup

Due to NBA regulations, which limits NBA players to be part of national team activities ahead of the World Cup to 28 days, Watanabe and Hachimura did not participate in the aforementioned training camp. The team will hold a seven-day training camp in Nagoya starting on Wednesday and the two will begin practicing with the team there.

During the Asian qualifiers, Fazekas, Watanabe and Hachimura were clearly difference-makers helping the team post eight straight victories. But all three never played at the same time.

“I played in a few games last year during the Asian qualifiers, but there was always someone missing,” Hachimura said, referring to the Big Three. “Togashi’s out, but now we have the full squad for the World Cup. And hopefully, I’ll be leading the team with my leadership and my game.”

Fazekas played with Hachimura in two games during the Asian qualifiers, while he met Watanabe in person for the first time on Tuesday. The Colorado native said that Hachimura “looks better than he did last time” he took the court with the 21-year-old forward, while Watanabe will give Japan good size at the small forward position.

“I’m excited for the three of us to get out there,” said the 210-cm center, who played for the Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Clippers in the late 2000s. And it’s just exciting we get the full team now.”

Lamas has stressed that his squad will face tough challenges at the World Cup, where the Akatsuki Five will meet Turkey, the Czech Republic and the United States in the first round. Yet he said that the team he assembled is “the best version” the country is able to produce at the moment .

“This is the best team we can have. There’s no doubt about it,” the Argentine said.

Comment

• IowaSERE
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Oct 2008

Hopefully someday soon we will have a player representing the US in the FIBA games.

Comment

• exclusivelee
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
          Hopefully someday soon we will have a player representing the US in the FIBA games.

John Stockton in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, Zach Collins in the 2015 U18 3x3

Comment

• soccerdud
            Zag for Life
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
            I'm wondering if Rui is kind of an outlier to the norm?

With him becoming the face of Japanese basketball & the Olympics coming to Tokyo next year, I'm sure there is a push by the Japanese National Team to get him acclimated to those team mates as soon & as much as possible.
            yes.

Comment

• IowaSERE
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by exclusivelee View Post
              John Stockton in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, Zach Collins in the 2015 U18 3x3
              I'll give you John Stockton, but ZC hadnt worn a Zag uniform before the u18 3x3.

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

" Rui Hachimura leads Japan to friendly win over New Zealand"

12/Aug/19 12:24

Japan kicked off a two-game home series versus New Zealand with a win.

By Eurohoops Team/ [email protected]

Rui Hachimura powered Japan to the 99-89 victory against New Zealand on Monday. The 21-year-old forward of the Washington Wizards posted a game-high 35 points, also tallied 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in the first half of the home series versus the Tall Blacks.

Nick Fazekas followed with 21 points and 7 rebounds, Yudai Baba added 12 points and Joji Takeuchi 10. On the losing side, Tai Webster put up 18 points, Isaac Fotu had a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds, and Corey Webster added 14 points.

Japan is part of Group E in the World Cup alongside Turkey, the Czech Republic and the United States. New Zealand was drawn with Brazil, Montenegro and Greece in Group F. The two national teams will meet again at Tokyo on Wednesday.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Good to see Rui hitting those threes. Free throws will come around more consistently.

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

This highlight film is in Japanese, but it's still fun to follow for the crowd reactions to Rui's heroics:

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                      This highlight film is in Japanese, but it's still fun to follow for the crowd reactions to Rui's heroics:
                      Leads to me believe that the speculation surrounding his shoe contract with the Jordan Brand could be worth more than $200 million is not unfounded.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Wow. Rui getting comfortable in the Alpha role. So cool seeing how he has developed in just 3 years; incredible really.
                        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

On now, Canada vs. Australia in a friendly match. Watch live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk88NYh38WE

Canada leads 15-6 at 5:35 in the first. Pangos already with two threes, and Wilter has hit one also. Delladova, Patty Mills, and Jock Landale are playing for Australia.

Comment

• ZagNative
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Canada leads at the half 46-36. Pangos with 13 points, Wiltjer with 8. Canada playing great.

Box Score

Comment

• ZagNative
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Canada wins it 90-70. Pangos with 18 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. Wiltjer with 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals.

Tomorrow Canada plays Australia again.

Comment

• Bogozags
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2008

On now, Canada vs. Australia in a friendly match. Watch live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk88NYh38WE

Canada leads 15-6 at 5:35 in the first. Pangos already with two threes, and Wilter has hit one also. Delladova, Patty Mills, and Jock Landale are playing for Australia.
                                ZN THANKS for sharing...I am assuming KO isn't there because he is injured?!? Is he still on the roster and will he be able to play in the WC?

Comment

Working...
                                X