I think we would all agree with this.
    Did you just quote yourself?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      A bit O/T, but I've felt the need on a couple of occasions to put myself on "ignore."

Comment

• Zagger
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        A bit O/T, but I've felt the need on a couple of occasions to put myself on "ignore."
        Ha! Me too (not you but myself).
        There can be humor after a loss

Comment

• deathchina
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Mar 2007

In my opinion Collins is probably gone because it is looking more and more likely that he is a lottery pick or at worst, mid 1st rounder. Guys almost never come back once they reach that level in the draft. There are of course always exceptions.

If Collins goes in the lottery any team that takes him will be at least somewhat committed to his development and growth as a player. He will be given opportunities and support from the organization. The idea that players are done evolving and improving once they hit the NBA is misguided. In some ways, they actually have a better chance of improving in the NBA than they would in college due to the unlimited resources available to them. No time restraints on coaches spending time working with them. No classes to attend or other "distractions". However, the NBA can ruin a player's confidence pretty dang quickly. Sometimes it's better to build up your self esteem being "the guy" in college.

It all hinges on what type of promise Zach gets I think. Draft position is so huge. Not just a financial issue, but also a commitment issue. Look at what happening with Sabonis this season. He's ranked 347 out of like 350 qualified players in the NBA in PER, making him literally, one of the most inefficient (ineffective) players in the entire league. Yet OKC keeps marching him out there and giving him opportunities on a team making a playoff push. No way that happens if he had been picked in the late first round (well, in Sabonis' case they traded away Serge Ibaka for him and Oladipo).

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            I did that several years ago. I figured that if my wife could ignore me, maybe I should too.

Comment

• basketballzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
              Why would he leave? He's going to be a 2nd rounder no matter what, and this draft is heavy in PG's. Education greatly matters to him. He has a chance to be preseason POY next season.

The only guy I am even slightly worried about is Zach, and if he does it, he has a 50%+ chance of being out of the league after a few years.
              This is the most accurate post on the subject of those two.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                How in the world does Gonzaga have TWO early entries to the NBA, yet UNC hasn't had one for a few seasons?

UNC did have 2 seniors declare.

Insane.

It will be 3 early entry declarations since 2014.

More than the team that just went to back to back National Championship games.
                Maybe they don't want to take the pay cut? Despite having countless 5 star burger boys, UNC hasn't had a one and done player since Brandon Wright in 2007.
                "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
                  Maybe they don't want to take the pay cut? Despite having countless 5 star burger boys, UNC hasn't had a one and done player since Brandon Wright in 2007.
                  Roy would say it's because the academic scandal has hurt recruiting. Imagine the horror of having to survive in the ACC with only a few Burger Boys playing for you every year.

Comment

• SwainZag
                    Kennel Club
                    • Mar 2009

So much speculation right now.

You have to imagine that NWG is going to talk to agents, former players, coaches, etc before even coming up with any decision. Would a possible guarantee of a 2nd round pick do it for him? Staying allows him to finish his masters and play in the national spotlight with a very good team, but could he possibly build on his draft stock or is this the peak for him? This year is a well stocked class, especially for guards, so I do think he has a lot to think about.

As for Zach, there are so many factors. We all know that Zach has only been a starter for 1 season in his career after sitting behind Zimmerman and Jeter in HS before starting his senior year and now behind Shem this year. He has received a lot of national attention in the past weeks and rightfully so as he has been great. Would getting picked just outside the lottery be enough for him to consider going Pro? Would he want a year of being in the spotlight? Hell, would he want another year of college life before going pro? Could he start in the NBA right now or be a role player off the bench? How much could he improve his draft stock?

My overly optimistic guesses.....both test the waters and neither hire agents. NWG waits until about the last possible time and announces he is coming back. Scouts can't guarantee Collins that he will land in the Top 15 and is convinced with starting minutes while adding some muscle to his frame that he has a realistic shot at being a Top 10 and possibly Top 5 in 2018 and he chooses to return as well.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Saxon_zag View Post
                      If zach leaves this year you think there's a chance he would be out of the league by the time he's 22 or 23? Literally 0 chance barring catastrophic injury.
                      My buddies who follow the NBA closely say Jhalil Okafor — 3rd overall pick not too long ago — is well on his way to being out of the league. The NBA can chew you up and spit you out. Hope Zach stays, but you gotta cash in your ticket when you have a chance.

Comment

• UCLAgraduate
                        Redshirt
                        • Mar 2017

NWG has been talking about going pro since before he enrolled at UW. Once at UW, I think he realized his ceiling wasn't the NBA and that it would be a good idea to, you know, win games and receive real coaching. I'd be surprised if he left, although his stock won't be higher than it is now. Collins is definitely gone. [/unsolicited outsider opinion]

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                          I feel the way he was talking, he was closing this chapter of his life. I don't think he will be a starting NBA player but what do I know.

If I was Zach? I'd come back. He gets in too much foul trouble in limited time but I think Tommy spilled the beans that Zach is gone.
                          I missed what Tommy said....what did he say?? Link??

Comment

• dhozagfan08
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                            Yes I did, lol. Quoted the wrong one, having trouble with my phone. Was supposed to be directed at the post about both testing the waters with the new combine/draft rules.

Comment

• TexasZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                              In my head, the only thing I see Zach really needing to work on is to stop committing stupid fouls, a problem which could easily be addressed in the NBA.

As for NWG - he's already got a degree, what does he gain by sticking around another year? He might not make an NBA roster, but there sure as heck are many pro teams outside the U.S. that would gladly pay him a salary to run a team.
                              Isn't NWG working on his MA? If so, why isn't that a worthy pursuit and motivation to use his last year of eligibility? In terms of employment opportunities (assuming something more mainstream than pro basketball player), bachelor's degrees these days are about as valuable as high school diplomas were back in the 60's and 70's, so an advanced degree is another feather in the cap.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Mar 2009

I think NWG stays. I don't think he plays his way into a lottery pick, but he could become really, really good and super consistent and make an NBA roster by being a fully rounded player. Not that he isn't now, but if he left (with NBA as goal) I think he sits, a lot. D-League, etc. Dedicated, team players and super seniors often get another look.

Collins is a tough one. For GU reasons I hope he stays. Good chance he is pre-season AA, talked about all year, puts up big numbers. Probably top 10 pick, at least. If he is done with school though, and feels he is ready, he'll go. Looking at draft boards, he is >10-20 guy this year. Not sure what that means money-wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X