"Tom Terrific."

What a competitor.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Rangerzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Hall of Famer Lou Brock, Cardinals base-stealing icon, dies at 81

Hall of Famer Lou Brock, one of baseball's signature leadoff hitters and base stealers who helped the St. Louis Cardinals win three pennants and two World Series titles in the 1960s, has died. He was 81.
      "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
      "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
      I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Rangerzag View Post
        Hall of Famer Lou Brock, Cardinals base-stealing icon, dies at 81

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...g-icon-dies-81
        I remember Lou getting a large enough lead off of first to MAKE the pitcher throw to first and beating the throw to second.

I have been a Cardinals fan since 1954 when my first game was in St Louis. I got to see Stan the Man play, and have been a baseball fan ever since.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Such a gentleman.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

WSU Cougars broadcasting legend Bob Robertson has died at 92 Robertson, who logged 52 years in the broadcast booth for WSU games, died Sunday at his home in University Place, The Spokesman-Review confirmed. He was 92. Cougfan.com first reported the news, although details of Robertson's death are still unknown.
            Robertson, who spent his formative years in Western Washington, was WSU's football broadcaster from 1964-2011 before moving into an analyst role for the final seven seasons of his Hall of Fame career.

Comment

• Corky
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              WSU Cougars broadcasting legend Bob Robertson has died at 92 Robertson, who logged 52 years in the broadcast booth for WSU games, died Sunday at his home in University Place, The Spokesman-Review confirmed. He was 92. Cougfan.com first reported the news, although details of Robertson's death are still unknown.
              https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...as-died-at-92/
              He was Cougar broadcasting. No one else sounds right.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Corky View Post
                He was Cougar broadcasting. No one else sounds right.
                +1

Such a talent.

Comment

• Rangerzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Diana Rigg, Star of ‘The Avengers’ and ‘Game of Thrones,’ Dies at 82

Diana Rigg, the Tony and Emmy winner who splashed into the world of television with her commanding turn as intelligence agent Emma Peel on "The Avengers" in the 1960s and played Lady Olenna Tyrell on "Game of Thrones" decades later, has died, BBC News reported Thursday. She was 82.
                  "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)

Comment

• Rangerzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Stanley Crouch, Critic Who Saw American Democracy in Jazz, Dies at 74

He was a big part of Ken Burns' Jazz series and that is where I first noticed him.

A prolific author, essayist, columnist and social critic, he challenged conventional thinking on race and helped found Jazz at Lincoln Center.

Comment

• Rangerzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies at 87

The second woman appointed to the Supreme Court, Justice Ginsburg’s pointed and powerful dissenting opinions earned her late-life rock stardom.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ies-at-87.html
                        This could be a huge tragedy for our Republic. I fervently hope not.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ies-at-87.html
                          This is the one I feared. Every time that I saw a new post in this thread for the past few years, I have cringed and hoped that this name would never appear on this thread. I wish that she could have retired in peace. She deserved the rest after giving so much of herself for so many decades.
                          “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

I respect her so much, and wish I could have met her. She had been fighting and in pain a long time.

I am so far beyond angry about what's happened in the wake of her death that I will just say that it's too bad an American giant, all 5 feet of her, past. Powerful legal mind.

I am soooo angry ...
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

The Kansas Comet

Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers, age 77.

Sayers was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the first round, fourth overall, in the 1965 NFL Draft, and was also picked fifth overall by the Kansas City Chiefs of the American Football League in the AFL draft. After consulting his wife, he decided would rather play in Chicago, signing with George Halas's Bears. In his rookie year, he scored an NFL-record 22 touchdowns: 14 rushing, six receiving, and one each on punt and kickoff returns. He gained 2,272 all-purpose yards, a record for an NFL rookie, with 1,371 of them coming from scrimmage. Sayers averaged 5.2 yards per rush and 17.5 yards per reception. His return averages were 14.9 yards per punt return and a league-high 31.4 yards per kickoff return.
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                                I respect her so much, and wish I could have met her. She had been fighting and in pain a long time.

I am so far beyond angry about what's happened in the wake of her death that I will just say that it's too bad an American giant, all 5 feet of her, past. Powerful legal mind.

I am soooo angry ...
                                I had the pleasure of meeting Justice Ginsburg as a law student. She spoke to my 1L Constitutional Law class. The event was unannounced, probably for security reasons. We were told to be early to class, because we would need to go through security screening for a guest lecturer. Rumors circulated that it might be Justice RBG, because her husband was scheduled to speak to the State Bar Association that evening.

Sure enough, she emerged at the front of our class with the dean, the Chief Justice of the state supreme court, and our professor. Despite her small frame, she is a powerful, commanding presence. She spoke to our class for about thirty minutes about the importance of using our legal education to make lives better for less fortunate persons.

I was fortunate enough to be among a handful of students who was invited to lunch with her and with a few VIPs from the local bar. She was more interested in speaking to the students than she was with the judges and law faculty. She is very soft-spoken, but I found myself hanging on her every word. She reminded us repeatedly that very few people will ever have the opportunity that was before us and that we had immense power to make better lives for other people.

She was as brilliant and focused in person as her reputation would suggest.
                                “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X