• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzgirl_127
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DZ View Post
    Also, I'll just quietly post this here since it's the only place on GUB I feel safe saying anything about COVID, but my daughter went to school for 2 days this year and the next morning: "Your Child has been exposed to COVID-19 in a classroom with a "teacher/student/administrator/coach" and you should call ..."

She is out till the 21st. I appreciate the staff being on top of it and professional about it. Just FYI this is going to happen all over.

We have a bit of a wild week ahead hoping no one gets a cough or fever.
    Ugh. I hope your family doesn't catch it.

I also hesitated to post (we weren't technically involved because we chose the fully remote version). In our district, kids were able to go back for one day to meet teachers and pick up supplies. In that time, one student who tested positive 2 days after their day at school and a teacher (who was in the classroom 2 days, took off the next two days because they felt sick and tested positive the next day). We got the one email and it was shortly followed by the second email. I worry for the teachers, hopefully no one else gets it. Masks were required and students were split up over four days so schools were at no more than 25% capacity...but still.

Comment

• caduceus
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Thank you on the advice for Vitamin D - I'm going out to get some, now. And I also heard (this is anectdotal, totally) that ER doctors regardless of age were taking a baby aspirin every day, convinced it helps. I am near 50 and no GI issues so it's not a bad thing for me anyway.

I am on the way to the store now.
      Any Vitamin D is probably good (sunlight included!). D3 is the animal form and is best absorbed by the body. A recent study showed that Vitamin D reduces COVID related ICU admission by 97%! Don't know about the aspirin. I haven't seen any studies. It's not a bad thing for anyone over 50 (for coronary heart disease and stroke prevention).

On edit: It makes sense that aspirin (a platelet inhibitor) would possibly help in the situation of coronavirus illness. The virus, while being a respiratory illness, is primarily a vascular (blood vessel) attacker. Anticoagulants are now a mainstay of treating seriously ill people with COVID, along with other medications, like steroid medications that quell the immune system.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
        Any Vitamin D is probably good (sunlight included!). D3 is the animal form and is best absorbed by the body. A recent study showed that Vitamin D reduces COVID related ICU admission by 97%! Don't know about the aspirin. I haven't seen any studies. It's not a bad thing for anyone over 50 (for coronary heart disease and stroke prevention).

On edit: It makes sense that aspirin (a platelet inhibitor) would possibly help in the situation of coronavirus illness. The virus, while being a respiratory illness, is primarily a vascular (blood vessel) attacker. Anticoagulants are now a mainstay of treating seriously ill people with COVID, along with other medications, like steroid medications that quell the immune system.
        Thank you for your advice. I got my flu shot last week, the 'high' dose (I am 71), and have been taking 5000 iu of D3 for some time. I take a full aspirin daily, rather than Xarelto (or any of the others) which does things to me I don't like.
        I also am O pos, and have heard that that may also be a good thing.
        My wife, on the other hand, is A something blood type and has a suppressed immune system. She was told in June that she probably has Lupus and needs to see a rheumatologist to begin treatment. None accept her insurance or have any openings for 6 months or more. There may be one in C d'A that will. Waiting to hear back.
        Meanwhile...just plugging along and trying to get by.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
          Ugh. I hope your family doesn't catch it.

I also hesitated to post (we weren't technically involved because we chose the fully remote version). In our district, kids were able to go back for one day to meet teachers and pick up supplies. In that time, one student who tested positive 2 days after their day at school and a teacher (who was in the classroom 2 days, took off the next two days because they felt sick and tested positive the next day). We got the one email and it was shortly followed by the second email. I worry for the teachers, hopefully no one else gets it. Masks were required and students were split up over four days so schools were at no more than 25% capacity...but still.
          Yeah. It was a really really tough call.

When numbers were way higher, we said "No." And it was easy. But then her school did the right thing and put all classes off for 3 weeks. Just work from home.

They tried a staggered start, half kids going every other day, social distancing, masks, and some classes taught outside. Our daughter said "I really want to go back to school" and who can blame her? It was a heart-wrenching decision, but we decided to have faith in the precautions taken. Maybe we did the right thing in that they knew near instantly when there was a problem.

Fri morning we were told she was "in a classroom" with someone diagnosed with COVID."

So it would have had to have been last Tuesday, which means if we can get through this week, we'll probably be okay. But even sitting down working one asks every 10 mins "Do I feel feverish?" so ... we're probably all going to be okay. She thinks she knows who it was and not one of her friends whom she spent a lot of time around. But still. It was a very hard decision and now we have to watch the entire situation closely and think about what to do.

In honesty, I don't think it matters bc I don't see them getting through October anyway. I just wish she could socialize somehow not on a screen. Her assignments are getting done, but nothing replaces a teacher.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• caduceus
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Yeah. It was a really really tough call.

When numbers were way higher, we said "No." And it was easy. But then her school did the right thing and put all classes off for 3 weeks. Just work from home.

They tried a staggered start, half kids going every other day, social distancing, masks, and some classes taught outside. Our daughter said "I really want to go back to school" and who can blame her? It was a heart-wrenching decision, but we decided to have faith in the precautions taken. Maybe we did the right thing in that they knew near instantly when there was a problem.

Fri morning we were told she was "in a classroom" with someone diagnosed with COVID."

So it would have had to have been last Tuesday, which means if we can get through this week, we'll probably be okay. But even sitting down working one asks every 10 mins "Do I feel feverish?" so ... we're probably all going to be okay. She thinks she knows who it was and not one of her friends whom she spent a lot of time around. But still. It was a very hard decision and now we have to watch the entire situation closely and think about what to do.

In honesty, I don't think it matters bc I don't see them getting through October anyway. I just wish she could socialize somehow not on a screen. Her assignments are getting done, but nothing replaces a teacher.
            I feel your thoughts. Having a 13 yo, going on 14, I know how it feels (and she's all online when school starts Tuesday). BUT, no amount of teaching lost will equate to the prospect of a family engulfed by a deadly virus. Do not worry about the educational situation. In the end, it won't matter one bit. She will manage it probably better than you do. She will be fine, but you will probably spend your nights in anguish. Don't worry. Keep her safe and your family safe. Priorities! Something about seeing the forest for the trees....

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

LIGO and VIRGO have discovered more stuff in the first few years than they ever dreamed. Next up will be space-based ones that go 50 kilometers or more, shinging lasers at mirrors in satellites.

Record-breaking gravitational waves reveal that midsize black holes do exist

Detected on May 21, 2019, the gravitational waves originated from a source about 17 billion light-years from Earth, making this the most distant detection confirmed so far. Because of the expansion of the universe, that distance corresponds to a travel time of about 7 billion years, meaning that the gravitational waves were emitted when the universe was about half its current age. It’s also the most energetic event yet seen, radiating about eight times the equivalent of the sun’s mass in energy, says astrophysicist Karan Jani of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, a member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration. “I hope it deserves its own entry in the record book.”
              Basically the biggest explosion ever contemplated. Eviscerating 8 suns into pure energy.

The new event dethrones the previous record-holder, a collision that occurred about 9 billion light-years away that radiated about five solar masses worth of energy, and created a black hole of 80 solar masses (SN: 12/4/18).
              But, for the new event, “there’s no doubt,” says astrophysicist Cole Miller of University of Maryland at College Park, who was not involved with the study. “This demonstrates that there is now at least one intermediate mass black hole in the universe.”

The black hole’s two progenitors were themselves heftier than any seen colliding before — at about 85 and 66 times the mass of the sun. That has scientists puzzling over how this smashup came to be.
              More, here, and I support Science News.org with a monthy donation and encourage everyone else. Best science journalism out there and a non-profit. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ion-ligo-virgo
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Once you cross the event-horizon in a large black hole, it's the only way to "move" faster than the speed of light. But, you're not really falling or moving because time and space switch place in a black hole and you are basically doing nothing but falling forward into time. You can no more avoid the singularity than you can avoid next Tuesday.

It is freakin' weird.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Markburn1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2015

Cosmologists have concluded that the universe doesn’t appear to clump as much as it should. Could both of cosmology’s big puzzles share a single fix?

"Another possibility is that dark matter, which clumps the universe together, transforms into dark energy, which drives it apart. Or perhaps the Earth sits in a vast void, skewing our observations. Or the two anomalies could be unrelated. “I haven’t seen anything compelling,” Hudson said, “but if I was a theorist, I’d be very excited right now.”

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

"A groundbreaking survey of over 10 million star systems has failed to detect signs of extraterrestrial intelligence."

A groundbreaking survey of over 10 million star systems has failed to detect signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.

Maybe God isn't ready for us to see His other creations of life beyond our little blue ball. I think it's possible He has created life elsewhere, but for whatever reason He hasn't deemed it necessary for us to discover it...yet.

Notice that in the previous post it was posited that the Earth might be in a vast void in the universe.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

More and more scientists are wondering why they've detected no sign of intelligent life in any galaxy anywhere, no flashing stars, no obvious patterns. The answer is either than advanced intelligence relies on power sources outside of stars, or there is very very little intelligent life out there. The "great filter" which might be life itself, or complex cells, or self-destruction.

UPDATE

The House Zoomer doesn't have an signs of COVID, nor does anyone else, on Day 8 of exposure. So if we make it 2-3 more days everything is likely fine. Meanwhile, her school's entire 8th grade is shut down due to teachers' exposure to one that got it, 7th grade is barely hanging on - we don't see how this is sustainable and prolly can't make it two more weeks. Sad but very predictable, as Cad has told us.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

UPDATE: Day 9 and all clear so far.

SOME NEWS FOR THE BREWERS AND WINE MAKERS HERE: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nt-smell-taste

How does a crop’s environment shape a food’s smell and taste?

Since then, terroir has continued to take hold as a marketing strategy — and not just for wine and chocolate. Terroir labels are also becoming more common for products like coffee, tea and craft beer, says Miguel Gómez, an economist at Cornell University who studies food marketing and distribution. Consumers “are increasingly interested in knowing where the products they are eating are produced — not only where but who is making them and how,” he says. People “value differences in the aromas, the flavors.
                        The definition of terroir is somewhat fluid. Wine enthusiasts use the French term to describe the environmental conditions in which a grape is grown that give a wine its unique flavor. The soil, climate and even the orientation of a hillside or the company of neighboring plants, insects and microbes play a role. Some experts expand terroir to include specific cultural practices for growing and processing grapes that could also influence flavor.
                        Sounds legit.

Some scientists and wine experts are skeptical that place actually leaves a lasting imprint on taste. But a recent wave of scientific research suggests that the environment and production practices can, in fact, impart a chemical or microbial signature so distinctive that scientists can use the signature to trace food back to its origin. And in some cases, these techniques are beginning to offer clues on how terroir can shape the aroma and flavor of food and drink.

Ecologist Jim Ehleringer of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City studies trace elements that plants passively take up. Those elements are a direct reflection of the soil. “Trace elements do not decay and so they become characteristic of a soil type and persist over time,” Ehleringer says.
                        "They say" - Everytime I went to Pike's in downtown Seattle, I heard the stories that some oyster connosieurs could tell from which "bay" an oyster originated. I am still skeptical. But we can all taste the difference in Copper River Salmon, so I'm not sure why it'd be different, though I alway thought Copper River just had more fat than most salmon.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

UPDATE on COVID Vaccine:

This includes the Oxford vaccine which was an important early entrant, one that had a lot of excitement around it. Cad can explain it to us.

Here’s what pausing the AstraZeneca-Oxford coronavirus vaccine trial really means

A single volunteer’s illness has sparked a temporary halt to the late-stage clinical trial of a leading coronavirus vaccine, an action that highlights the level of rigor needed to ensure that a vaccine is safe and effective, experts say.

AstraZeneca, which is developing the vaccine in concert with the University of Oxford, pushed pause on September 8 after a study volunteer in the United Kingdom had a suspected serious reaction. The hiatus will allow an independent review board to decide what to do next.
                          The illness may turn out to have nothing to do with the vaccine. If so, the trial, which may enroll as many as 50,000 people worldwide, including up to 30,000 in the United States, may resume. If the vaccine caused the illness — known as a serious adverse event — it could spell the end for AstraZeneca’s vaccine hopes. But experts say the pause is part of the tricky business of doing science and needed to happen to ensure safety.
                          We have no idea if it is likely due to the vaccine or not. Doctors in this area likely do know the odds.

“It was actually encouraging to see AstraZeneca take it so seriously,” says Esther Krofah, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit FasterCures, part of the Milken Institute think tank. “They did exactly the right thing.

What members of the public often don’t understand is that the courses of clinical trials often don’t run smoothly and Phase III trials are put on hold temporarily on a regular basis, says Seema K. Shah, a bioethicist at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago. In fact, “bumps in the road are normal for vaccine trials, and they should happen if you’re studying them rigorously,” she says. “If nothing goes wrong while you’re testing it, maybe you didn’t test it well enough.”
                          It is reassuring to hear that they're willing to stop the trials with all the social pressures on them.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Dark matter clumps in galaxy clusters bend light surprisingly well

This unidentified stuff, which makes up most of the mass in the cosmos, is invisible but detectable by the way it gravitationally tugs on objects like stars. (SN: 11/25/19). Dark matter’s gravity can also bend light traveling from distant galaxies to Earth — but now some of this mysterious substance appears to be bending light more than it’s supposed to. A surprising number of dark matter clumps in distant clusters of galaxies severely warp background light from other objects, researchers report in the Sept. 11 Science.
                            Turns out, Einstein was right. Gravity does bend light. It also slows down time, which is why you can hang out on the edge of a black hole and live 100,000 years, even though you'd never know it.

This finding suggests that these clumps of dark matter, in which individual galaxies are embedded, are denser than expected. And that could mean one of two things: Either the computer simulations that researchers use to predict galaxy cluster behavior are wrong, or cosmologists’ understanding of dark matter is.

But telescope images told a different story. The researchers used observations from the Hubble Space Telescope and the Very Large Telescope in Chile to investigate 11 galaxy clusters from about 2.8 billion to 5.6 billion light-years away. In that set, the team identified 13 cases of severe gravitational lensing by dark matter clumps around individual galaxies. These observations indicate there are more high-density dark matter clumps in real galaxy clusters than in simulated ones, Meneghetti says.

The simulations could be missing some physics that leads dark matter in galaxy clusters to glom tightly together, Natarajan says. “Or … there’s something fundamentally off about our assumptions about the nature of dark matter,” she says, like the notion that gravity is the only attractive force that dark matter feels.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

UPDATE: Day 9 and all clear so far.

SOME NEWS FOR THE BREWERS AND WINE MAKERS HERE: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nt-smell-taste

How does a crop’s environment shape a food’s smell and taste?

Sounds legit.

"They say" - Everytime I went to Pike's in downtown Seattle, I heard the stories that some oyster connosieurs could tell from which "bay" an oyster originated. I am still skeptical. But we can all taste the difference in Copper River Salmon, so I'm not sure why it'd be different, though I alway thought Copper River just had more fat than most salmon.
                              No doubt on smell impacting flavor. If you ever go a beer festival, after this COVID thing is done, you can pick out the brewers in a heartbeat. They are the people sticking the glass to their nose first and taking a good whiff. You can make a low hop beer taste hoppy but just dry hopping the hell out of it. Hops don't really excrete their oils without heat. But the definitely give out chemicals for aroma. So in the end, the aroma tricks you into thinking it has more hops than it really does.
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• DZ
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                                No doubt on smell impacting flavor. If you ever go a beer festival, after this COVID thing is done, you can pick out the brewers in a heartbeat. They are the people sticking the glass to their nose first and taking a good whiff. You can make a low hop beer taste hoppy but just dry hopping the hell out of it. Hops don't really excrete their oils without heat. But the definitely give out chemicals for aroma. So in the end, the aroma tricks you into thinking it has more hops than it really does.
                                I totally believe it. Real connoisseurs with a great nose can pick it out immediately and casual drinkers like me probably only know it tastes good without specifically knowing why.

If you think about it, it would be hard to argue otherwise. If a living think like a fish - Copper River salmon being the most obvious - can have a distinct flavor, even though they swim around, it makes sense that something that lives its life in one unique spot would have variations of flavor.

Glad you saw this.
                                Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X