Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
    Good luck with that.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2007

I see it going like Larry Brown’s stint at SMU. A couple decent years, borderline Top 25, then resigns in yet another scandal.
      "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• seacatfan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2014

Next closest? I think Xavier. They've probably missed the Dance a few times, but they have a solid history going back about 30 years. Started real small, in the now defunct Mid Continent Conference or something like that. Then A-10 and Big East. Have won a game or two or three in the Tourney a bunch of times. The difference between them and Gonzaga is that they've been a stepping stone and have had a bunch of different coaches, but they kept it rolling even with frequent changes.

Comment

• bdmiller7
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Bogozags
          I think his goal is to ensure that the "new" strippers and hookers are paid appropriately so that they won't blab as the last group did...

I detest him and what he has done...He left UMass and they went on probation and he was fired from UL and probation followed...how did he not get banned for five years as others have for lesser offences?
          Pitino never coached at UMass, you're confusing him with Calipari.

Comment

• sonuvazag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
            Next closest? I think Xavier. They've probably missed the Dance a few times, but they have a solid history going back about 30 years. Started real small, in the now defunct Mid Continent Conference or something like that. Then A-10 and Big East. Have won a game or two or three in the Tourney a bunch of times. The difference between them and Gonzaga is that they've been a stepping stone and have had a bunch of different coaches, but they kept it rolling even with frequent changes.
            That's a good one too, but I thought we were counting the Big East as a power conference.
            Agent provocateur

Comment

• Bogozags
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
              Pitino never coached at UMass, you're confusing him with Calipari.
              You are so darn right!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                Administrator
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
                I see it going like Larry Brown’s stint at SMU. A couple decent years, borderline Top 25, then resigns in yet another scandal.
                I can’t imagine any scenario in which Pitino stays at Iona long enough to build a sustained powerhouse at that school. If he enjoys any success at all, he will use that as a springboard to his next coaching opportunity at a bigger program. He’ll only stick around, until some desperate athletic director offers him a better gig.
                “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• bdmiller7
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  You are so darn right!
                  Both slimy.

Comment

• gonstu
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

“The next Gonzaga.” We’ve heard it a bunch over the years. When was the first time - I do not remember. But GU’s run is more than just a run at this point. It’s more than just a few deep runs into the tournament. At this point we are talking more than 20 years. I’ll bet against pitino on this one. Still, high praise for CoachFew.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Dick Vitale
                      @DickieV
                      ·
                      21h
                      @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
                      struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitino’s teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
                      I wonder if Dickie V would actually take that bet. It couldn't be for a single year obviously, so at his age, money would have to be placed in a 'winner takes all' trust fund, for 20 years later. That would be the only way to see if they replicated what Gonzaga has done.

Would he give odds?
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bdmiller7
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2017

Dick Vitale
                        @DickieV
                        ·
                        21h
                        @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
                        struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitino’s teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
                        Who labels them 4 stars, their mommies? None of the big recruiting sites have any of these guys above 2 stars.

Comment

• seacatfan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by sonuvazag View Post
                          That's a good one too, but I thought we were counting the Big East as a power conference.
                          Okay, could be Power 5 +1. They accomplished plenty before moving to the Big East. Anyway I saw Butler and Creighton mentioned as well.

Comment

• Bulldoginseattle
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Oct 2017

I don’t see the four star recruits, but regardless of how you feel about Pitino in general, if there’s anyone that could accomplish this at Iona, it’s him. What he was able to do at Providence in just two years was incredible (although having Billy Donovan in the team doesn’t hurt), and there’s a reason in the hall of fame. You put him in a bottom-15 league with even some 2-3* guys and he’ll run through it every year until he retires for good.

I’m not a fan of the guy, but he’s an amazing coach.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                              Okay, could be Power 5 +1. They accomplished plenty before moving to the Big East. Anyway I saw Butler and Creighton mentioned as well.
                              Right. I mentioned them as the best candidates before ascending into the Big East and Xavier absolutley belongs in that group.

Iona has already had some success, having been to the tournament the last four seasons, and I personally love the Metro, but it's not a very good conference at all. For Iona to be a "next Gonzaga" would be highly unlikely even if Few went and coached there.
                              Agent provocateur

Comment

• seacatfan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by sonuvazag View Post
                                Right. I mentioned them as the best candidates before ascending into the Big East and Xavier absolutley belongs in that group.

Iona has already had some success, having been to the tournament the last four seasons, and I personally love the Metro, but it's not a very good conference at all. For Iona to be a "next Gonzaga" would be highly unlikely even if Few went and coached there.
                                Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see a "next Gonzaga." Perfect storm, set of circumstances very unlikely to ever be repeated.

I remember when Akron took up the call of "next." That didn't last long. Never really got off the ground. Wichita St. had a nice little run but moving to the AAC hasn't done them any favors. Hey, Dayton just had a really nice season, maybe they can repeat it another 10 or 15 years in a row...

Comment

Working...
                                X