• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bballbeachbum
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rijman View Post
    I'm not sure why the coverage here has taken a step backwards.
    I'm here to agree too tho not in SD. Maybe it's not what Soren said above about they don't give a crap about out of market fans, I don't know, maybe they do care, BUT I'm here to tell you that it doesn't feel like they do.

seriously, Facebook required? The WCC can you know what with that

Edit: btw, replay on NBC California Sports tonight at 7 if you get that channel
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 02-02-2020, 08:05 AM. Reason: replay info

Comment

• IMADEYOUREADTHIS
      Kennel Club Material
      • Apr 2017

Guys and Gals, get Hulu Live. It’ll change your life.

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
        Please explain what your system is and where you are located
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Gr8Laker
          Redshirt
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
          Funny... I subscribed to HULU TV for the sole purpose of watching Notre Dame hoops (my other team, and yes, I know they are not good... I am a glutton for punishment). Xfinity will not pay for the ACC Network, so after years of zero issues finding a streaming broadcast via the ESPN app, it’s now unavailable. HULU saved the day, of course at additional expense for me. As for yesterday’s GU game, it was not available to me with HULU either. Last year no issues with WCC TV, this year it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• IMADEYOUREADTHIS
            Kennel Club Material
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
            Please explain what your system is and where you are located
            Hulu live tv. It’s not the standard Hulu and it’s more costly, but I have no issues with any zags games. I actually use exclusively as my “cable” provider and it’s around $60/mo. Now, I’m in north Idaho so I know that games broadcast on our local nbc affiliate may not be as easily watched outside of the zags dma, but if you get a vpn you should be able to make the magic happen.

FYI, I have my Hulu live on both a firetv and a rokutv.

With Hulu, I can set up my favorite teams and it creates a myteams page for each and automatically records all games and houses it there. All done with cloud dvr.

Comment

• Birddog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thanks the vpn is the sauce
              Birddog

Comment

• Norwester
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                Restricted in my viewing area, probably northern hemisphere.

Mike Roth
                No forwarding address
                Childish. At best. This was a WCC conference game. The WCC owns the broadcast (including streaming) rights, not Gonzaga.

Comment

• Markburn1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Norwester View Post
                  Childish. At best. This was a WCC conference game. The WCC owns the broadcast (including streaming) rights, not Gonzaga.
                  Mike Roth is the most powerful AD in the conference. He has the leverage to influence everything the WCC does. The conference commissioner essentially works for him.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norwester View Post
                    Yes but Gonzaga "owns" the WCC. Which is I think Jazz's point.

The reality is that we should be able to stream all games. Not necessarily for feee. But in 2020, all games should be available this way. The days of the cord cutters are here and have been for years. The days when everyone had "cable" or "satellite" are over.

I gave up DirecTV this season and switched to YouTube tv. My bill went down from 180 a month to 50. And I get almost all of the sports channels I used to get.

The one exception is Root sports. It's totally unacceptable that there is no way to steam any context from Root sports. I think Jazz's point is that Mike Roth should leverage Root into doing something on this. I have zero clue if Roth has or has not done any such thing. I also don't know whether Roth drives a Bentley. If he does I won't begrudge him that as he and the GU staff have earned it. I do, however, think that whether he drives a Bentley or not, we should be able to figure this out.

Comment

• Birddog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Interesting 229. I am getting ready to cut the cord and Youtube TV is my choice. Have you or anybody else tried this https://www.collegesportslive.com/ ? I'm just now exploring/ investigating options.
                      Birddog

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                        Yes but Gonzaga "owns" the WCC. Which is I think Jazz's point.

The reality is that we should be able to stream all games. Not necessarily for feee. But in 2020, all games should be available this way. The days of the cord cutters are here and have been for years. The days when everyone had "cable" or "satellite" are over.

I gave up DirecTV this season and switched to YouTube tv. My bill went down from 180 a month to 50. And I get almost all of the sports channels I used to get.

The one exception is Root sports. It's totally unacceptable that there is no way to steam any context from Root sports. I think Jazz's point is that Mike Roth should leverage Root into doing something on this. I have zero clue if Roth has or has not done any such thing. I also don't know whether Roth drives a Bentley. If he does I won't begrudge him that as he and the GU staff have earned it. I do, however, think that whether he drives a Bentley or not, we should be able to figure this out.
                        Thanks for seeing past the occasional sardonic humor to the serious point which, inextricably, seems to elude some here, such as NW. Roth and his minions have done a magnificent job on building the program. And in the past he's seemed responsive to our complaints. Why no solution has been forthcoming is anyone's guess. Perhaps it needs post season review, or the assent of the lesser teams, or the commish is intractable on added costs.....etc. One game left.

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

I've said this before, but this is not so much about accessibility (we all get that you can watch most GU games if you're motivated enough to find a streaming option that works), as it is about exposure. Easy exposure for passive viewers. Beyond the northwest, coverage has absolutely gone backwards this season. I haven't seen so few games in many seasons and I'm a premium subscriber on a major cable platform living in the 6th largest media market in the country. This is a WCC problem, and I hate to say it, but it isn't getting better. Take a look at the schedule of any random Big East team, and you'll see that just about every game of every team in the conference is televised nationally. It's no secret that there is a concerted effort underway by major conferences to dominate television coverage -- to deprive lesser conferences of coverage, and ultimately render them invisible, irrelevant, and ultimately obsolete. Very noticeable this season. The Big East and Pac 12 have been savvy in expanding their schedules to almost every day of the week, making it harder and harder for second tier conference (e.g. WCC) programs to get exposure. The athletic directors of most of the rest of the WCC schools understand the limitations of their programs, and likely aren't able or motivated to help. They understand there isn't an impending renaissance of their programs and that changing demographics and interests of their students and alumni make it unlikely that they'll ever compete with Gonzaga. Gonzaga aspires to bigger things and they, pragmatically, do not. (How many years have you been hearing that the conference is turning the corner, and getting better across the board?) So, Gonzaga is trapped for now in a conference that is apparently diminishing in stature, disappearing from national coverage, and with few viable options for improving its lot. Hats off to Mark Few for consistently improving his recruiting classes, and attracting excellent transfers but if you ever wonder how this remarkable run might end you might want to consider that a lack of national media exposure might be the reason.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
                            I've said this before, but this is not so much about accessibility (we all get that you can watch most GU games if you're motivated enough to find a streaming option that works), as it is about exposure. Easy exposure for passive viewers. Beyond the northwest, coverage has absolutely gone backwards this season. I haven't seen so few games in many seasons and I'm a premium subscriber on a major cable platform living in the 6th largest media market in the country. This is a WCC problem, and I hate to say it, but it isn't getting better. Take a look at the schedule of any random Big East team, and you'll see that just about every game of every team in the conference is televised nationally. It's no secret that there is a concerted effort underway by major conferences to dominate television coverage -- to deprive lesser conferences of coverage, and ultimately render them invisible, irrelevant, and ultimately obsolete. Very noticeable this season. The Big East and Pac 12 have been savvy in expanding their schedules to almost every day of the week, making it harder and harder for second tier conference (e.g. WCC) programs to get exposure. The athletic directors of most of the rest of the WCC schools understand the limitations of their programs, and likely aren't able or motivated to help. They understand there isn't an impending renaissance of their programs and that changing demographics and interests of their students and alumni make it unlikely that they'll ever compete with Gonzaga. Gonzaga aspires to bigger things and they, pragmatically, do not. (How many years have you been hearing that the conference is turning the corner, and getting better across the board?) So, Gonzaga is trapped for now in a conference that is apparently diminishing in stature, disappearing from national coverage, and with few viable options for improving its lot. Hats off to Mark Few for consistently improving his recruiting classes, and attracting excellent transfers but if you ever wonder how this remarkable run might end you might want to consider that a lack of national media exposure might be the reason.
                            Harsh, but major points. I can't imagine the GU admin is unmindful of what you so eloquently detail. But, jumping the shark -- even in the glacial world of higher education -- often has very little warning......Your statement should be the first and only thing on the next athletics board meeting, trustee meeting, alumni board meeting.....

Comment

• CB4
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2009

I'm going to take a schellacking for this comment, but perhaps the TV Problem, in my opinion, is enough to consider an independent conference affiliation. If you look at prior seasons, there have been teams that play a non-conference affiliated basketball schedule. Seattle U did for four years. They were able to schedule games from January to March. If they can, why can't Gonzaga?

If Gonzaga negotiated it's own TV deals and shared revenue on games with MWC, Pac 12 and WCC teams, they should be able to fill out a January to March schedule. The revenue sharing with the WCC and an agreement to play away games at schools like Pepp, LMU, SCU periodically may be enough to ensure that the WCC doesn't kick the non-basketball Gonzaga sports out of the conference.

Imagine: Non-conference schedule up to January. Then from January to March: 6 games against the WCC, 4 games against the Pac 12, 4 games against the MWC, 2 games against the AAC, 2 games against other teams (WAC, Big East, SEC, etc.).

Not likely to happen. But certainly something to explore as a potential leverage point if things don't improve.

Comment

• AirborneJag
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Nov 2009

Always Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison on the radio. Tom does a very good job in painting the picture of what’s happening and Adam sometimes says some of the things we are thinking but not saying. Beyond doubt, Adam has come a very long way as a commentator. If I can’t get the game live, I don’t bother with trying to stream for many of the reasons articulated in this thread. Besides, listening to Tom and Adam brings back memories of listening to the World Series while steelheading/salmon fishing in the fall and other fun times. You ought to try it. And yes, you can listen to them over the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X