• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strikenowhere
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Is this team better than last year's?

With the news that Timme is back, the roster is now pretty much finalized. My question here is this - is the '21-'22 squad better than '20-'21? If we substituted next year's team into last year's schedule, do they go all the way? Would last year's team beat next year's? Finally based on next year's schedule can next year's team finish the regular season undefeated again?
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

I don't opine as to the answers, especially because we don't know how a lot of freshmen will react to D1. However, I do opine, that based on the questions you ask, it's crazy to think of the expectations our fanbase has, and even crazier to think their justified by our performances.
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2007

Lets Line them Up:

2020-21

Nembhard
      Ayayi
      Suggs
      Kispert
      Timme

Watson
      Cook
      Strawther
      Harris
      Ballo

2021-22
      Nembhard
      Hickman
      Bolton
      Holmgren
      Timme

Harris
      Strawther
      Watson
      Sallis
      Perry
      Gregg

No idea how good these freshman are, but this years team should have much more depth. Last years team only went 7 deep because the Freshman were not all the way ready yet. This year those kids are sophmores and the Freshman we do have coming in appear to be ready from Day 1. Next years team has a legit 9 guys that would start for a lot of top 25 squads. Overall talent is better on next years team i believe-- the experience from this past years team tilts the scale a little though. Hard to replicate Ayayi, Kispert experience...

Comment

• Spink
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Nov 2018

Depends upon how Chet, Sallis, Hickman translate to college. How Watson, Julian, Dom grow their game and how Bolton fits in. Timme & Andrew will be bringing it. VERY promising!

Comment

• Spink
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
          Lets Line them Up:

2020-21

Nembhard
          Ayayi
          Suggs
          Kispert
          Timme

Watson
          Cook
          Strawther
          Harris
          Ballo

2021-22
          Nembhard
          Hickman
          Bolton
          Holmgren
          Timme

Harris
          Strawther
          Watson
          Sallis
          Perry
          Gregg

No idea how good these freshman are, but this years team should have much more depth. Last years team only went 7 deep because the Freshman were not all the way ready yet. This year those kids are sophmores and the Freshman we do have coming in appear to be ready from Day 1. Next years team has a legit 9 guys that would start for a lot of top 25 squads. Overall talent is better on next years team i believe-- the experience from this past years team tilts the scale a little though. Hard to replicate Ayayi, Kispert experience...

Andrew, Timme, Chet only locks for starting

Comment

• Mr Vulture
            Zag for Life
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Spink View Post
            Depends upon how Chet, Sallis, Hickman translate to college. How Watson, Julian, Dom grow their game and how Bolton fits in. Timme & Andrew will be bringing it. VERY promising!
            Exactly! I have nothing further to add other than is it basketball season yet??

Comment

• TravelinZag
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2012

Potentially. See what Coach Few & assistants can do with them. Duke will be an early test.

Comment

• cjm720
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                With the news that Timme is back, the roster is now pretty much finalized. My question here is this - is the '21-'22 squad better than '20-'21? If we substituted next year's team into last year's schedule, do they go all the way? Would last year's team beat next year's? Finally based on next year's schedule can next year's team finish the regular season undefeated again?
                Elite shot blockers are hard to come by but so is an athlete and leader like Suggs. Too early to tell IMO.

Edit: didn’t mean to reply to this post!
                Go Zags!!!

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2009

Is this team better than last year's?

I don't think so but I can't tell. Chemistry and maturity are hard to measure. I'd say lower floor, higher ceiling with Chet being the wildcard.
                  The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

So far, last year’s team has 31 more wins than this year’s.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                      So far, last year’s team has 31 more wins than this year’s.
                      Back in the late 80's or so, around the end of October, a friend of mine saw Don Monson coming out of an eatery on 13th Av. in Eugene. Friend asked "Coach, how's the team looking this year?"

Monson replied, "so far, we're undefeated".

Comment

• hooter73
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2008

Depends on if we can defend around the basket. I know Chet is a blocker and all that, but Baylor like interior players killed us all year without a defense playing big. Just my opinion

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

due to the relative youth of this roster when compared to resent teams, I'm mentally preparing myself for a lot of missed assignments and easy shots early on in the season, with the expectation for improvement over the course of the year. I think that the presence of Ayayi and Kispert will be missed on that end. Suggs was such a special defender that we might not see somebody like him from that perspective for a long time.

On the plus side, the rim protection should be very good with Chet on board. Dom has the want-to, athleticism, and experience on defense to be very good, and that might actually give him the edge to be a starter; he is my pre-season pick to be the guy who gets given the tough assignment on defense and hope he goes to the Gary Bell Jr school of making life miserable for the offensive player. Watson is reliable defensively and makes some spectacular plays with his hands, and should be a plug and play option at multiple spots. I hope Strawther shows some acumen defensively, as he has the length to be very good.

From a game-planning perspective, I don't think that teams will be able to pick on Timme in the pick and roll as much as they did last year because of the help and rest he will get. This team should have the ability to switch just about every screen. It seems like the other team will have to run good offense and hope for missed assignments, as the length and athleticism looks great on paper. Kaden Perry will be a bonus and a major wild-card if he is able to contribute this year. If Gregg plays good positional defense he should be able to hold his own guarding a power forward. Sallis and Hickman are wildcards, and I hope they are fast learners. A big question mark is how they would handle a very big and strong post player, but I'm not too worried about that.

Offensively, this team has looked automatic for years and I think Coach Few is a great offensive coach. I don't know how you don't score at a good clip with Timme around, especially, and with all of the talent they have.

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                            IMO...

Neither team would have beaten Baylor...they were a fine, oiled machine. In a ten game match, we might win between two and four games...

The hypothetical question of: if 20-21 can beat 21-22...I think Suggs is the difference maker so that answer is no...

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

no

Comment

Working...
                              X