• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyra
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Petrusev — How good can he be?

For the more expert analysts on the board, how good do you think Petrusev can become? I’m very impressed and think he might become special.
  • Mantua
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
    For the more expert analysts on the board, how good do you think Petrusev can become? I’m very impressed and think he might become special.
    Tyra, I’m starting to worry about a Kentucky style exodus in late spring. Both Clarke and Petrusev are fitting in quickly. I was so happy to see the defense get started tonight. Players were communicating and everyone is looking more comfortable despite all the bandaides. (Band of Brothers?) Petrusev and Ayayi both look like they’re determined to battle when they step on the court. I don’t think I’ve seen Gonzaga play at that speed this early in the season or ever, actually. Josh seems to relish the options that he has with Clarke and Petrusev. At this point the chemistry isn’t all that visible, but the inspiration is contagious.

Feel free to ignore my thoughts. I’m not an expert analyst by any means. I’m a little giddy after seeing such an improvement in the defense against some pretty good Texas Southern players, especially that sky scraping Reed.
    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• raise the zag
      Zag for Life
      • May 2011

Has a ways to go. Looks like a skilled true freshman.

Shown nice footwork, smart positioning on offense, poor positioning on defense, yet a beautiful looking shot.

Has not shown ability to draw fouls, use his body on put backs, lacks strength, and pretty weak hands (swiped or blocked too easily).

I like his motor, shot selection, footwork, and ability to burn minutes. Must improve strength, not necessarily size, as his hands aren't very strong with the ball.

He has been fooled on defense several times both games, but I see upside, skill, and coachable. He will be a classic/vintage GU post of old.
      Last edited by raise the zag; 11-11-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Skill set is there. Needs to fill out a bit more and start playing D1 level defense. Definitely a 2-3 year player at a minimum. Just too many things that need work
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• tummydoc
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

But remember Shem's freshman year he had no hops and looked bewildered. Filip may be great if he stays 3 to 4 years.

Comment

• Zagger
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

At GU .... very, very good

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I think he looks solid enough that the coaches can improve many of his areas quickly. I think by practicing against players like Clark, Tillie, Rui and the rest will bring him on quicker. He has a nice shot out past the 3, has nice footwork, moves well in the key. And also shots with either hand in the kwy

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by tyra View Post
                Tyra, I see him becoming much more relaxed on the court and playing defence. I think the sky is the limit for him. He, like Sabonis, has excellent foot work and can shoot the three, which Sabonis didn't do well at all his freshman season. He will improve his defence each game. He has a deft touch around the basket so he will be difficult to defend. I think he needs to work on his picks as it appears he releases a bit too early. His rebounding will also improve with the more games he plays. I think he just needs to adjust to the physical aspects of the College game, just as Sabonis had too! The European game is much less physical and more technique oriented. I think the sky is the limit for him and if he continues to improve this season, then he might be tempted to leave after this year; however, being a gambler I would think he stays for two years, which would allow him to add bulk he would need to the next level.

Comment

• cjm720
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

He’s way ahead of most of our bigs in the past. Has some work to do, but he seems so confident and mature. Really nice fit.
                  Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Getting some great experience with Tillie recovering ---will pay dividends before the end of the season. The daily practice with our bigs will be huge as they will be the best players he faces in many weeks.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                      He’s way ahead of most of our bigs in the past. Has some work to do, but he seems so confident and mature. Really nice fit.
                      Agree. Petrusev is confident and calm w the ball. I think the team can and will rely on him more as season progresses.

Zags have some nice players competing against the starters in practice: Jones, Petrusev, Ayayi, Foster offer some good size and athleticism for the key rotation guys to compete against in drills and scrimmages. Having these level players on the squad upping the overall level of competition has a LOT to do with the team’s extraordinary success the past few seasons especially.
                      Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• TravelinZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2012

Love him. And to critics, come of whom make interesting observation, I ask. "When did the Zags ever have a player so perfect he couldn't improve?" Isn't that what some of the preseason games, and many of the conference games are for?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Far ahead of where Larsen was after 2 gms.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                            Tyra, I see him becoming much more relaxed on the court and playing defence. I think the sky is the limit for him. He, like Sabonis, has excellent foot work and can shoot the three, which Sabonis didn't do well at all his freshman season. He will improve his defence each game. He has a deft touch around the basket so he will be difficult to defend. I think he needs to work on his picks as it appears he releases a bit too early. His rebounding will also improve with the more games he plays. I think he just needs to adjust to the physical aspects of the College game, just as Sabonis had too! The European game is much less physical and more technique oriented. I think the sky is the limit for him and if he continues to improve this season, then he might be tempted to leave after this year; however, being a gambler I would think he stays for two years, which would allow him to add bulk he would need to the next level.
                            I seem to remember the opposite for Sabonis. He had to tone down the physicality of his game at first. He was used to playing grown men in pro leagues, picked up a ton of fouls and got frustrated.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                              Love him. And to critics, come of whom make interesting observation, I ask. "When did the Zags ever have a player so perfect he couldn't improve?" Isn't that what some of the preseason games, and many of the conference games are for?
                              Don’t think it is criticism per se. Just observations about his game. Don’t get me wrong he’s real good. But he needs work and bulk. I don’t see that as bad. Just shows he has tremendous upside still. He isn’t Shem... but could be in the end... with a 3 pointer in his quiver of arrows
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X