• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thickman1
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    One time he simply walked off the court in pique after not getting the ball enough. Another time he chose to argue with the ref under the basket while the game went the other way down the court.
    This! GU will miss his easy post production but that’s it. Dude was beyond selfish and quite frankly think this is addition by subtraction.

Comment

• hockeyzag
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jul 2007

Great piece in The Athletic....

The news came by way of Eurohoops, which passed along a report from Nova.rs, which said that Petrusev had decided to start his professional basketball career in his hometown of Belgrade, Serbia, where he would play for Serbian club Mega Bemax. Until then, Petrusev had been in the NBA Draft process, and his stature therein — as a fringe top-100-ish prospect — made the possibility of his return to Gonzaga seem likely.

On its face, such news — the semi-surprising loss of your best, most productive player — has the potential to devastate a fan base. It happens all the time, a team’s fortunes hinging on the decision of one 19-year-old or the other. And yet Gonzaga fans like the ones commenting at Slipper Still Fits, were, even in the immediate wake of the news, almost entirely sanguine. The response could be summarized as a broad, collective “Meh.” The takeaway: “We’ll be fine.”

And you know what? They’re right. Gonzaga will be totally fine.
      It was pretty interesting how much the Zag community on average didn't really fret over losing the former WCC Player of the Year. He was a player who seemed to me to be more interested in himself than the good of the team. We've been lucky to not have to deal with that kind of attitude for a long time, and I'm confident that the remaining players on the team won't act that way. Guys like Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, Watson...I just couldn't imagine them not continuing to act like team first players. I've never witnessed any of them sulking because they didn't get the ball on a play, or not hustling back on D.

I agree with thickman1, addition by subtraction.
      "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
      -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
        It was pretty interesting how much the Zag community on average didn't really fret over losing the former WCC Player of the Year. He was a player who seemed to me to be more interested in himself than the good of the team. We've been lucky to not have to deal with that kind of attitude for a long time, and I'm confident that the remaining players on the team won't act that way. Guys like Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, Watson...these all seem like team first personalities. One couldn't imagine them sulking because they didn't get the ball on a play, or not hustling back on D. Those guys pick each other up, and play for their teammates.

I agree with thickman1, addition by subtraction.
        Petro, Daye....who fills out all me-first Zag team?

Comment

• hockeyzag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Jul 2007

Petro, Daye....who fills out all me-first Zag team?
          Luckily we haven't seen many. It speaks to our coaches and who they decide to recruit, as well as the culture they bring them into.

I look back fondly on the Pangos/Bell teams, those two were great leaders. I remember Wiltjer talking about how the team all spent time together and supported each other. He spoke about how unique that was because most teams end up segmenting themselves into "clicks".
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
          -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
            Luckily we haven't seen many. It speaks to our coaches and who they decide to recruit, as well as the culture they bring them into.

I look back fondly on the Pangos/Bell teams, those two were great leaders. I remember Wiltjer talking about how the team all spent time together and supported each other. He spoke about how unique that was because most teams end up segmenting themselves into "clicks".
            Fair enough. But we’ve had enough for a team. Conversely, who’s on all time unselfish squad with Josh and Karno?

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
              Kennel Club
              • Nov 2017

Fair enough. But we’ve had enough for a team. Conversely, who’s on all time unselfish squad with Josh and Karno?
              Ronny.

Comment

• jsnider
                Kennel Club
                • Apr 2020

We will be fine if Kispert and Ayayi return. We are making that assumption. No telling if it is right or not. I hope they do and it is right.
                Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Nice video from KREM 2: https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...2-18f54dc9b0ab

Comment

• bdmiller7
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2017

Not sure if this was posted here but on the press box podcast Jim Meehan said when the staff saw on their phones the press release that Filip had signed a pro contract, they also saw that he had been trying to contact them.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2009

Say what you want about Daye, he was about the team. Don't like the revisionist history just because he left before he should have.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Silas

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                          Silas
                          Too many to list.

I agree with Silas ... but I would put anyone who saw the floor with Silas as well.

I agree with Ronny ... but I would put virtually anyone who saw the floor with Ronny ... with perhaps one notable exception.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Gonezagaga
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Any unselfish team would have to include Mike Hart. He would probably be captain.

Comment

• tummydoc
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2013

He could walk the walk, but Ammo was me first. Not in a pouty way, he just knew he was the best offensive weapon.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2009

Petrusev, the defending WCC player of the year, will play in Europe next season. It means more opportunities for sophomore Drew Timme.

Good piece on Petro leaving.

For all his strengths, in some ways the Zags make more sense without Petrusev than with him. It’s a strange situation, to be sure. But this is what happens when you’re in the sort of elevated program territory where Gonzaga now finds itself. Year after year, good players show up. Year after year, they get better. Sometimes, your roster is so overflowing with assets that you can’t find enough time on the basketball court for all of them. Sometimes, your best player leaves, and you wonder whether it might not just be a good thing after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X