• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

Saint Mary's signs top Euro Guard Augustas Marciulionis

Randy doing Randy things.

Augustas Marciulionis, a top international basketball prospect and son of Naismith and FIBA hall of famer Sarunas Marciulionis, has committed to Saint Mary's.
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor
  • ZagNut08
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Great and timely signing. SMC seemed to be sliding backwards past few seasons, need them to stay competitive on a national level.

Comment

• MickMick
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

We know how undervalued some of these international players can be. There is an art to the comparative valuing of kids based upon on their potential in an AAU format against kids that are practicing every day against grown pros. If you are looking to minimize risk and get young men that typically have an immediate higher floor, the European route is certainly the way to go. At a minimum, you will typically get a fundamentally sound technician. SMC's recruiting is well served by establishing these European connections.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
        SMC seemed to be sliding backwards past few seasons
        This statement made me curious, so I looked it up. From the 2015-16 season thru 19-20, they had a cumulative record of 136-37, an average of 27-7. Two NCAA trips, and would have had a third last year except for covid. A win over VCU, and close, tough losses to Arizona and Nova. NIT the other years.

In reality, they had one bad year last year w/ defections and injuries playing a major part, and even then they were around 75 on kenpom and a middle seed in the NIT. Granted, they were painfully ugly to watch last year, as their own fans say.

Comment

• bdmiller7
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
          This statement made me curious, so I looked it up. From the 2015-16 season thru 19-20, they had a cumulative record of 136-37, an average of 27-7. Two NCAA trips, and would have had a third last year except for covid. A win over VCU, and close, tough losses to Arizona and Nova. NIT the other years.

In reality, they had one bad year last year w/ defections and injuries playing a major part, and even then they were around 75 on kenpom and a middle seed in the NIT. Granted, they were painfully ugly to watch last year, as their own fans say.
          Yep, prior to SMC having a couple key injuries and going on COVID pause they were putting together a pretty good year. They finished the non-con at 9-2 with losses to Memphis and San Diego St, and a huge win over Colorado St. Even with the injuries and pauses they still only had 2 losses in conference not to BYU or GU. They had a really tough conference schedule and that was why they were rewarded with a good seed after the KenPom seeding adjustments. They aren’t going anywhere.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post

During that period, SMC was more often than not, not a tourney team (like the double negative?). Next year they are stuck with largely the same team which struggled this last year at times. The horizon looks bleaker than the rear-view mirror and cupboards are (or were) bare.

This signing is huge for them. Who remembers his dad?

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post

This signing is huge for them. Who remembers his dad?
              Sarunas? I wondered when I saw the name. One of the earliest Eastern Euro players to hit the NBA.

Comment

• willandi
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Sideshow posted this in another thread:
                "We’re starting to piece together the possible motivations over at God Is A Gael. Turns out his mom got her masters at SMC, so that might have had some influence. Not a totally random, out of the blue choice."
                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• zagzilla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I remember his dad playing for a short time with the Sonics. Glad to see SMC getting Dudes. Now schedule up and go get some OOC wins with them.

ZZ

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                    During that period, SMC was more often than not, not a tourney team
                    Factually incorrect. Two of 4 possible tourneys in the yrs I cited, and were a lock in the covid yr w/ a projected 7 seed. So that would have been 3 of 5.

See bmiller's post above for a good take on the topic.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Maybe the young man will become Randy's Bonus.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        Maybe the young man will become Randy's Bonus.
                        Might as well, Omar's status with us can't be replicated...lol.

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

I know GU will be a very good team next year and I hope that we, once again, go undefeated in League/Tournament play and beat both BYU and SMC in the closing minutes of our games with them. If that is the case, then both could well be tournament teams ALONG with a zero to one loss in OOC games...

There is little doubt that the WCC should be stronger at the top this year and if SMC can continue to get 4* recruits willing to play his style, then Coach Randy will be a much happier man as he walks to shake hands with opposing coaches...IMO

Comment

• ZagaZags
                            Banned
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by Jstock12
                            What happened? I'm confused.
                            You missed it. Just more censorship. Just look up John Stockton.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                              Banned
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                              You missed it. Just more censorship. Just look up John Stockton.
                              Hey guys, I just decided to leave GU Boards. I love you all but the censorship on John Stockton was over the top. I wish you all the best. GO ZAGS!!!! 2021

Later all,
                              ZZ

Comment

Working...
                              X