• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

How confident are you in having a ‘20-‘21 season

I wonder where Gonzaga fans are at. How confident are you that we’ll see a college basketball season with fewer than 5 cancelled games, and fans (at least 50% of normal occupancy) allowed in the stands? I’m calling that a “normal” year for the poll.

The final poll choice should be read as “0% confident and I don’t expect a season even w/o fans”.
    75-100% likelihood of almost full season
    15.31%
    50-75% likely
    20.41%
    25-50% likely
    22.45%
    1-25% likely
    23.47%
    0% chance of normal. No real season even w/o fans
    18.37%
  • Bouldin4Prez
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
    I wonder where Gonzaga fans are at. How confident are you that we’ll see a college basketball season with fewer than 5 cancelled games, and fans (at least 50% of normal occupancy) allowed in the stands? I’m calling that a “normal” year for the poll.

The final poll choice should be read as “0% confident and I don’t expect a season even w/o fans”.
    Why didn't you just make all of the choices varying degrees of types of seasons? Having it be a % chance of a normal season but the %'s actually represent something entirely different is extremely confusing.

Comment

• hockeyzag
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
      Why didn't you just make all of the choices varying degrees of types of seasons? Having it be a % chance of a normal season but the %'s actually represent something entirely different is extremely confusing.
      Extremely confusing? Really?

Your hypothetical poll is just fine LTown.
      "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
      -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• Bouldin4Prez
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
        Extremely confusing? Really?

Your hypothetical poll is just fine LTown.
        I expect a 0% chance of a normal season but I expect a season to take place. Which one do you think I should vote for?

Comment

• NotoriousZ
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

I expect a 0% chance of a normal season but I expect a season to take place. Which one do you think I should vote for?
          I would vote for that option. A new poll would be better
          It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• Markburn1
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2015

This poll kinda personifies my frustration at this point. There is very little in my life that is normal right now and the uncertainty of anything approaching that in the future is unsettling.

I love Gonzaga basketball but for right now the coming season is near the bottom of my list of importance. Funny thing is, it was right near the top up to and including my trip to Vegas for the WCC championship.

My faith and my family have always been the top priority but now they take on even more importance. I'm undecided on keeping my businesses or just retiring outright. That would affect several families. There are so many places I want to see with my family but I don't know when that will be possible. My mother is isolated in an assisted living home. I could go on, but you get my drift. Normal is not even on the horizon. I know the rest of you have some of the same concerns and there are a lot of folks in way worse financial and emotional states than I.

All I can say now is when or if Gonzaga makes it back on to the floor I will make time for it.

Comment

• LTownZag
              Banned
              • Mar 2017

If you'd like a different poll created which has different options or gradations of deviance from normal, the option to create one is open to you, and I'd be interested in seeing the votes.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

A bit O/T, but my money’s on Team Corona beating the NFL.

Comment

• MickMick
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
                  Last edited by MickMick; 06-26-2020, 08:42 PM.
                  I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2012

- mick-mick, agree with most all you said, but nonetheless i voted i'm confident in having a season this year.

- if we do not, i do not think it is because of collective stupidity, rather a lack of fortitude and courage.

- go zags

Comment

• Unbiased
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post

Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
                      Its a sad, polarizing, and frustrating time. I whole heartily agree with your assessment.

Comment

• LTownZag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2017

It is with a sad heart that I find myself nodding in agreement to much of this.

I also don't seen any likely or even moderately probable solutions to the kind of deep hole you describe us being in as a nation.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

in the first month or so i saw the nation, and for the most part world, largely unified.
                          i see the disagreements about when, and how much pace to put on normalization until a tested and effective vaccine emerges, to be a rational debate with evidence on both sides.
                          the reason it seems the polarization is hopeless, i think, is it has gotten to be partly a red and blue thing, which is the demoralizing and entrenched aspect
                          IMHO

Comment

• caduceus
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

And...the voice of reason again, and again, and again coming from you, MickMick aka avatar Jed. Always I find an intelligent response from you (basketball or otherwise). Who ARE you?

I feel that despite Vietnam and 9/11, the "heartland" hasn't experienced a real hardship since WWII. Most of us haven't had to ration food or collect tires or sacrifice anything significant that would actually disrupt our lives. It's not hard to put a yellow ribbon on your trunk, or put up a yard sign, or struggle for toilet paper. I agree that coming together as a nation is now beyond us. Recently, the worst we've had to deal with is plopping ourselves on the couch for months with Netflix, home deliveries, and struggling if we're manly enough to WEAR A CLOTH on our face. Oh, the horror.

It's not real if it isn't affecting you or someone close. If we were attacked by a foreign country that covertly invaded and injured 2,553,686 and killed 127,649 Americans since February 15, would we be up in arms? Would YOU turn out your lights during an air raid, or would that violate your freedoms? Something's wrong. Very.

Collective stupidity says it all.

Stay safe, Spokane. Opening up means it's likely coming to your neighborhood, too. I worked at SH, Deaconess briefly, and Valley years ago. At the time, Sacred Heart was just fine and dandy if you smoked in your room as long as you didn't start a fire, and that wasn't so long ago. If you think they have enough capacity or capability, don't be surprised if you need a life flight to Seattle or SLC when you can't get enough oxygen. Just ask Houston: https://outline.com/ajYUb9

Last edited by caduceus; 06-27-2020, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• BurgessEraZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2008

Wasn't it you that said the problem is "people" think this involves an ON-OFF switch? You are probably right about what people think. But isn't there room for moderate avenues of progress toward recovery. Even though I'm a compliant patient with the "rules" is my character in question because I'm not totally happy with it? My Jesuit education told me "morality is in the order of intention" so if I subscribe to good, safe and healthy results do I meet everyone's standard for character even though I'm not happy with what's going on?

Most posters on this site are a helluva lot better at Hoops expertise and comments than evaluating people's character they don't even know.

Comment

Working...
                              X