• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs UCLA Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 83
    UCLA 63

Wow! I never saw this coming. Gonzaga totally dominated UCLA the first half 45-25, and essentially the game was over at the half. Gonzaga slowed it down in the second half and kept a steady lead of 20 throughout. Gonzaga slowed it down to a crawl in the last 3 minutes just using the clock to cloee UCLA out. The announcers raved about Holmgren, and they also did the same regarding Nembhard.

Nembhard led the Zags with 24 points and 6 assists, and played like a puppet master controlling the whole game. He npt only scored but had complete control of the offense with brilliant passes and dribbling. He also played awesome defense as usual. Holmgren also played outstanding, especially in the first half where he controlled the inside and kept UCLA away from the basket inside. He is the Best BASKET PROTECTR EVER AT Gonzaga. He also had real good offense with 2 threes, and scoring 15 points. Timme had 18 points and really got beat up inside. However he took ever blow like a real warrior. Strather had 11 and 9 rebounds and played real good deense. Bolton helped out with 9 points and 2 threes.

Gonzaga shot 56% for the game, and 39% from behind the 3 point line. They shot 76 % from the foul line. Very good offense.

Oh by the way, Watson didn't score and had a real hard time guarding anyone on defense. His senseless fouls kept him on the bench most of the game as he only logged in 6 minutes on the court. I hope Few begins to look at Perry more. Perry played some good minutes in the second half and looked pretty good I thought.

As I expected Gonzaga's defense was just too much for UCLA, especially in the first half when Gonzaga just destroyed UCLA. I love watching this team play D. i felt they shot pretty goof from the 3 point line making 9 threes. They were really hot from behind the arch at the beginning of the game, maybe nailing their first 4 three pointers. Nembhard had two and Bolton two.

Well that's about it for now. Gotta led other people chime in...On to Friday nite ve Duke.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 11-24-2021, 06:50 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

Going to ignore the negative on Watson as he picked up two phantom calls that put him to bench and never in flow…but whatever

Defense wins championships and our defensive engagement was amazing we held them 30 points UNDER their average………..Timme managed the contestant mugging and the adjustment for second half allowed us to maintain the lead.

Hickman was a silent assassin and did very well while Strawther gathered in team leading 9 rebounds
    Exceptional team game and sky limit for this group if they continue to engage as one on defense and rebound………….
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

This team has taught me I'm not good at predictions. Great team win! Nembhard was an absolute stud, Chet as well. The young guys played well and received real game experience. Liking this team more each game. Juzang a non factor.
      America's Team!

Comment

• GU69
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

The defense was great. GU held UCLA to 25 points in the first half.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GU69 View Post
          The defense was great. GU held UCLA to 25 points in the first half.
          And thirty below their season average
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• jim77
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Love the early leads the Zags been gett'n. Its not like UCLA didn"t play hard...but when you play that hard...get spotted 10 second half fouls and still lose by 20....sheesh. GOOD WIN...GREAT game for Chet.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

First, ucla is tough. Jacques a horse. Juzang a non factor. Cronin is a whiner. Nemby great all game. Straw with a solid 2d half. Of concern bench had 5 points, 6 boards.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                First, ucla is tough. Jacques a horse. Juzang a non factor. Cronin is a whiner. Nemby great all game. Straw with a solid 2d half. Of concern bench had 5 points, 6 boards.
                What does it say about this team that our POY candidate was forgotten tonight? Not that Drew had a bad game...to the contrary, he had a very productive game.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Nembhard shut down Juzang. Other than few forced shots mostly on switches he was a not factor simply floating on perimeter

Actually bench got 7 rebounds and an assist as well. Not too bad of production in big game

UCLA bench only had 8 points

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Great team defense.
                    Juzang was non-existent.
                    Tyger was non-existent.
                    UCLA couldn't guard Timme, so they mugged him.
                    Chet was transcendent.
                    Coach went 9 deep in the first half, kept the legs fresh all night. Showed great confidence in both Hickman and Sallis.
                    Nemby was a maestro, directing the flow all night. Made every correct decision and scored 24.

Complete 40 minute beatdown. Bring on Dook.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      What does it say about this team that our POY candidate was forgotten tonight? Not that Drew had a bad game...to the contrary, he had a very productive game.
                      We’re spoiled, Tex

Comment

• All Weather Fan
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Mar 2015

Nemhard named Tournament MVP and Timme & Holmgren both on the 5 man All Tournament Team. Rightfully so !
                        BTW, I didn't realize it was a tournament when the matchups were predetermined, but another pretty piece of crystal for GU.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by All Weather Fan View Post
                          Nemhard named Tournament MVP and Timme & Holmgren both on the 5 man All Tournament Team. Rightfully so !
                          BTW, I didn't realize it was a tournament when the matchups were predetermined, but another pretty piece of crystal for GU.
                          Huh. Should be Jaime and 4 Zags

Comment

• White lightning
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2017

Isn't it rewarding when Gonzaga gets pressed. It's like no problem. We have excellent guards, forward's and bigs that can handle the ball. Hickman is a stud under pressure as the 2nd guard to handle the ball.

I remember not to long ago getting the ball in was a worry when it mattered.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
                              Isn't it rewarding when Gonzaga gets pressed. It's like no problem. We have excellent guards, forward's and bigs that can handle the ball. Hickman is a stud under pressure as the 2nd guard to handle the ball.

I remember not to long ago getting the ball in was a worry when it mattered.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                              Like at Butler?

Comment

Working...
                              X