Kennel Club Material
    • Sep 2013

Boise has been looking to leave the MWC, including approaching the WCC for

basketball and other sports.

"My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HillZag View Post
    I thought WCC had a rule about being a faith-based institution.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• HillZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Sep 2013

According to the article, it sounds like they were given at least a tacit response from the WCC that what you said--private, faith based institutions--continues to be the focus.

Although it is worth mentioning that into the 1970's, several public schools such as UNLV with Tark as coach were part of the WCC.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
        Banned
        • Jan 2019

Only 426 miles between the two schools, so the geography works out. And they are no threat to us, basketball-wise. But they do play football, so that issue has to be worked out.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
          Maybe they want to convert?

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Plus if you add them, you are forced to add a bad team to keep a round robin league schedule. No thanks. I want as much room for quality non-league competition as possible. Moreover, I think the world of Leon Rice as a coach, and if he cannot change BSU into a consistent winner, no one can.

Comment

• hondo
              Zag for Life
              • May 2009

"Maybe they want to convert?"

Good one Abe.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                Plus if you add them, you are forced to add a bad team to keep a round robin league schedule. No thanks. I want as much room for quality non-league competition as possible. Moreover, I think the world of Leon Rice as a coach, and if he cannot change BSU into a consistent winner, no one can.
                I believe the same was said back when Idaho used to consistently beat BSU, up till about 20 yrs ago it was a wasteland in football. Perhaps the league change would boost their recruiting ability.

I don't want them bc I like the faith based thing bc it "works" for us. But just BB wise, they'd maybe be okay and that's a growing market.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                  The Big East was all private schools, mostly Catholic schools, until UCONN asked to come home. I wouldn’t rule out the addition of a public school to the WCC at some point. I wouldn’t necessarily bet that Boise State will be the one.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                    I believe the same was said back when Idaho used to consistently beat BSU, up till about 20 yrs ago it was a wasteland in football. Perhaps the league change would boost their recruiting ability.

I don't want them bc I like the faith based thing bc it "works" for us. But just BB wise, they'd maybe be okay and that's a growing market.
                    For the foreseeable future, part of the recruiting pitch would be "you're on national tv at least twice a year, when we play Gonzaga."

ETA: Once the fallout over Covid has been contained, I suspect there will be a great upheaval in college football and basketball, with significant conference realignments. It's likely a number of programs will fold for financial reasons. Declines in student enrollment will be catastrophic to colleges and universities.

Comment

• HillZag
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      For the foreseeable future, part of the recruiting pitch would be "you're on national tv at least twice a year, when we play Gonzaga."

ETA: Once the fallout over Covid has been contained, I suspect there will be a great upheaval in college football and basketball, with significant conference realignments. It's likely a number of programs will fold for financial reasons. Declines in student enrollment will be catastrophic to colleges and universities.
                      I very much agree. And Boise is struggling already. They permanently eliminated their baseball program this Summer to save money.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HillZag View Post
                        I very much agree. And Boise is struggling already. They permanently eliminated their baseball program this Summer to save money.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sport...243954857.html
                        Schools dropping football will hurt women's athletics, too. Title IX will no longer be a factor.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          Only worthwhile pairing I could see is Boise and New Mexico. The Pit is a mere 640 miles from my house.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            I believe BSU would be on national TV more than twice, as the WCC has a cushy contract with ESPN. Anyways, I never knew that Leon Rice was a Zags assistant at one time. I support this move (if it ever happens) as the WCC seems to get better quality players than the Mountain West Conference.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2009

Add Boise and San Diego State.

I mean then Boise, BYU, and San Diego State football could even play each other 2x per year home and away.

Then round out their schedules.

Comment

Working...
                              X