• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
    This clears things up...

(By the way Twain didn't coin that phrase, and he himself first published it as a mistaken quote taken from the British prime minister, though it had been seen in print multiple times before that)
    Good catch!

Discover Mark Twain quotes about lying. Share with friends. Create amazing picture quotes from Mark Twain quotations.

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    O/T, but our beloved accounting professor, "Black Dan" Brajcich, used numbers once during the 3 years he was my teacher (30+ semester hours). I recall it well: "you own two pigs, and one of them dies. How do you account for the loss?" Whereupon he explained the accounting theory for that example in a 10 minute dissertation.

ETA: I was equally dismayed to discover that Mark Twain did not author this famous line, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

A rich, long history in American craft beer brewing, join us for impactful stories featuring our stories and people that impact our decadent tale.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

What theoretical stats would be relevant to a discussion of how the staff handles a situation of giving Arlauskas more quality practice minutes this week?

I'm sincerely curious, since you brought it up.

Or was that just a snarky passive aggressive way to signal that you dislike what you see as an excessive contribution of statistics to some discussions?
      It was just a General comment, not calling anyone out in particular.

But since you've called me out, I'll give an example. Oh ... and it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.

BTW, I'm thrilled that Admon is healing quicker than expected .... and I think it shows on the floor. But anyone can be disappointed ... in our guys ... in our staff .... anything they want to be disappointed in. But again, it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Goshzagit
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
        I just watched the game replay twice, and the Zags were only up by 7 points n the second half with 15 minutes to play when Petrusev got injured. Timme played the next five minutes with Tillie. Then at the 10 minute mark Few went the last ten minutes or so with the four guard offense, and that's when the Zags took over the game and increased their lead to 27 points before winning by 25.

I will say the four guard offense was brilliant. They spread the court, and like was pointed out earlier, they began to penetrate to the basket off the dribble. BYU could not defend our guards' penetration to the basket. In this offense Tillie plays on the outside like a guard. It's a five out offense, and Tillie fortunately has the skills of a guard, even though he's 6' 10". Tillie passes like a guard, and he consistently took his man off the dribble just like the guards were doing. This group was fast, quick, intelligent with fantastic passing and dribble penetration.

Go Zags!!!
        Watch the Arizona game again.

The EXACT same occurrence.

We doubled our lead the very moment we moved to the 3-guard lineup with Kispert at the 4. Part of the effectiveness/comeback vs Oregon too. And in 2nd half vs UW at times.

Teams have yet to contain the guards size and quickness, along with Kispert driving on the opponents 4 man. He is big and sizable enough to pull it off.

Hoping we see more of it, it could be the difference b/w a Sweet 16 exit or a Final 4 birth. Coach Few finally praised it post-BYU as he has been reluctant to give it props when asked by reporters, analysts, announcers, saying "its only out of necessity" and kind of down-playing it as something they will use.

He changed his tune recently.

Comment

• LTownZag
          Banned
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          It was just a General comment, not calling anyone out in particular.

But since you've called me out, I'll give an example. Oh ... and it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.

BTW, I'm thrilled that Admon is healing quicker than expected .... and I think it shows on the floor. But anyone can be disappointed ... in our guys ... in our staff .... anything they want to be disappointed in. But again, it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.
          What is that an example of?

What does this have to do with statistics and again, what stats would at all be relevant to your claim above, about someone "proving" the staff does or doesn't have a handle on Arlauskas' quality practice time?

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post

We doubled our lead the very moment we moved to the 3-guard lineup with Kispert at the 4. Part of the effectiveness/comeback vs Oregon too. And in 2nd half vs UW at times.

Teams have yet to contain the guards size and quickness, along with Kispert driving on the opponents 4 man. He is big and sizable enough to pull it off.
            I recall Arizona's coach saying, in an interview after the game, that he felt his team played well against the Zags until Few switched to the 4 Guard offense. He said his team was unable to handle them. And that was the first time that Few used this lineup. They are getting much, much better at playing in this lineup. The cohesion and chemistry is just awesome.

Go Zags!!!
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• scott257
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2009

I am not awfully concerned about them getting garbage minutes at the end of a game. They practice daily against the best players in the WCC and just based on the improvements from Petrusev and Ayayi this season, I think they are getting the development that will make them better. Playing end of game minutes against guys that are already beat or the bench from a team that is already given up isn’t development, it’s just finishing out the clock. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

Comment

• billyberu
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

No offense Dixie, but I seriously doubt that Mark Few even considers fan critiques.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                Surfmonkey89

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Posted on the Petrusev thread:

I have no knowledge of actual Zag operations etc., but I don't expect Petrusev this weekend, at all, and I DO expect Pavel to play against Pacific.

He is a big body and a space eater. I expect he will be the third wheel of the Tillie/Timme substitution rotation
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    I recall Arizona's coach saying, in an interview after the game, that he felt his team played well against the Zags until Few switched to the 4 Guard offense. He said his team was unable to handle them. And that was the first time that Few used this lineup. They are getting much, much better at playing in this lineup. The cohesion and chemistry is just awesome.

Go Zags!!!
                    yep, here's a link to lots of Miller quotes after that game regarding that and other keys

the multiple 2nd half adjustments on both ends of the floor is so much fun to follow on Few's teams

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

I'll get torched for this....but here goes.

The Zags play better when they aren't trying to force feed Petrusev. Filip is a valuable piece on this team but at this point he isn't nearly as versatile as Tillie and the munchkins lineup.

I'm looking forward to Few employing small ball for a few more minutes than he has even when Filip gets healthy.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post

Hoping we see more of it, it could be the difference b/w a Sweet 16 exit or a Final 4 birth. Coach Few finally praised it post-BYU as he has been reluctant to give it props when asked by reporters, analysts, announcers, saying "its only out of necessity" and kind of down-playing it as something they will use.

He changed his tune recently.
                        Maybe Few doesn't want teams to prepare for the 3 guard lineup. It works great as a change of pace but maybe works best after all the body-blows have softened things up on the inside.

Comment

• LTownZag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post

The Zags play better when they aren't trying to force feed Petrusev. Filip is a valuable piece on this team but at this point he isn't nearly as versatile as Tillie and the munchkins lineup.

I'm looking forward to Few employing small ball for a few more minutes than he has even when Filip gets healthy.
                          No torching - I bet your view isn't so rare.

6'7", 6'5" (with ++wingspan), 6'4" jacked, & 6'3" is hardly a bunch of munchkins (but I get what you're saying).

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                            Maybe Few doesn't want teams to prepare for the 3 guard lineup. It works great as a change of pace but maybe works best after all the body-blows have softened things up on the inside.
                            this. the Team makes things difficult to prepare for

and no torching Markburn

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

What is that an example of?

What does this have to do with statistics and again, what stats would at all be relevant to your claim above, about someone "proving" the staff does or doesn't have a handle on Arlauskas' quality practice time?
                              i can't speak for gozags, but looking at the links he posted i would guess his point is that you strangely seemed to be trying to use statistics to "prove" that gilder was a "disappointment" to "knowledgeable posters" (whatever that means) when based on his play of late it seems he was simply still recovering from injury. that would be akin to using statistics to imply that tillie has been a disappointment...

Comment

• Zagger
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post

It pains me to watch the ‘force feeding’ at times and especially when I’m begging Tillie to just up and nail a 3. However, Filip is pretty darn good at getting that bouncy round thing down through that net holder. I have to remind myself where a goodly portion of Zag points are coming from. It’s all good to this fan though as Munchkin Method or Serb Soufflé it’s paying off in wins and increases the arrows in Few’s quiver. It also makes for exciting basketball .... and excitement on this board ....

Comment

Working...
                                X