• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Officially depressed

I need to get out of this mental state. Don’t really feel like talking to my doctor or my friends and family about it. It’s mostly because we are cooped up in my house. It’s not even because I can’t watch Gonzaga basketball or any other sports ... I’m usually a very positive and energetic person. I put on a happy face for my two kids and wife every day but my wife has now seen that I’m not feeling the best.

I am sure others are feeling exactly how I am. Can’t go anywhere for fear of being arrested. I know it’s for the safety of others so we have been ordering our groceries online and having things delivered to us. We rarely have left home for the last month.

Anyone have anything and I mean ANYTHING to help with this? I am sure if I made it through this I would go back to normal and enjoy the good times even more. I don’t go to bars, I don’t even really go to sporting events either. I spend a lot of time teaching my kids the ways through life and taking them out to explore different sights of nature which we cannot do for good reason.

My son has a birthday in June and that gets even more depressing because I know so many others have had birthdays and cannot do what they wanted and I know I probably won’t get to do ours either.

Stay safe and healthy everyone, I will still be around I’m just drained. I’m hoping to get some positivity in here and help others that are going through the same thing I am at this time. I wanna lift each other up if possible. I have gotten a lot done over the past month around the house but I am running out of things to keep me productive and positive!
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Hey there - 62' (I've always noticed your name because that's the year I was born!)

I don't have any real help for you, except to say that you really should try and talk to your wife or a good friend about how you're feeling. They will totally understand... we're all going through this more or less together. It will end at some point, but I agree that it's really hard right now. I don't normally go out much anyway except for work but I find it hard because I can't go. Maybe take a drive to look at the beautiful spring we're having - at least here it's very, very nice.

Rad
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
      Administrator
      • Apr 2009

Use Zoom or similar video-conferencing options. I set up a poker night for my family a few days ago using Zoom. I’m about to host a pub style trivia night for my family in Montana and my in-laws in Maine.

You can connect with people that you rarely see, because nobody has other plans on Saturday night. It helps.
      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Sorry to hear that. I do suggest letting your doctor know and see if he/she has any help to offer.

I know that now that all my medical needs will be dealt with via internet or telephone, I have decided to go ahead and see my Urologist. It won't be nearly so bad, from a distance.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Markburn1
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2015

Read your Bible. When you are reading it, put yourself in the shoes one of the people you are reading about. It feels different when you become that person for a short while.

Then, write about your experience in a journal. Scraps of paper will do.

And always remember to hope and look to the future. This will pass. You will become stronger in the end.

God Bless. Happy Easter.

Comment

• Jazzgirl_127
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, it's good to talk about it. There are a bunch of great documentaries and ways you can remotely visit the national parks since you can't do it in person, it might be fun to look online or on a streaming service. The same goes for museums offering a view of their galleries and Zoos doing lessons about their animals via Facebook or YouTube (my 6Yo was in heaven when the Cincinnati zoo had baby animals he could watch).
            I do agree with the others that it's good to talk to your doctor. I'm kinda on the opposite end of the way you're feeling. For me, this has been a good chance to slow down and not be committed to so many things with the kids. All Fall and Winter I was rushing to feed people and running someone somewhere after school, every night of the week. It was draining, and minor setbacks just made me stress out and be angry. A friend of mine said the same thing about the mom guilt we feel if we don't do a bunch of activities and how she's feeling less stressed like me since we need to stay home. She also said this has made it so much easier to make appointments to talk to professionals about the stresses she's had in her life because now it's just a phone call vs. making an appointment, finding a babysitter, going to the appointment, waiting, being stressed that you're not going to get out of the appointment with enough time to get your older child off the bus, etc. Nothing about the previous environment was great for her mental health even while trying to do something to improve the way she was feeling (and if I'm being completely honest, I have put off seeing someone for years to discuss the anxiety issues I'm sure I have had my entire life purely because the logistics of actually going to see someone was so difficult). Now, it seems like help is just a phone call away, it's absolutely worth talking to someone to help you through this.
            Happy Easter.

Comment

• 23dpg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Try going for a walk or bike riding. That’s what I’ve been doing. If nothing else, keep posting here.

Things will get better.

This made me smile.

somegoodnews.com john krasinski
              Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Thank you guys. It’s extremely helpful for all the kind words. I wasn’t sure how the reaction would be but this does help. I spent some time today with my most intermediate family my wife kids and her parents. Not usually what the size is at all, but we did do virtual church and retold the story of Easter to our kids. That was certainly uplifting.

All of your guys’ ideas are very good and I’ll look into some of those. The virtual park tours and poker nights sound fun. We did virtually talk to our cousins today too... as from advice above.

I may have to keep a journal too. I’ll have to put some serious thoughts on paper and see how that works and if things get too bad to call my doctor. I really don’t want this too outta control for sure. It’s just an overwhelming experience.

I think it’s also best if any lurkers are out there and going through this also share some ideas in my PMs or here, maybe we can get some things gathered up and work together on it. Like I said I got a lot of things accomplished in the month + as cleaning up my yard, fixing up my house inside and being connected with my sons through online learning have been very interesting and fun. Most of that is now over and I’m going to be putting the ideas above into action and see how it goes.

Thank you everyone. Anything else let me know. Hopefully we aren’t like this too long!!

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• zagnut2012
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Dec 2009

This

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                  Sorry to hear that. I do suggest letting your doctor know and see if he/she has any help to offer.

I know that now that all my medical needs will be dealt with via internet or telephone, I have decided to go ahead and see my Urologist. It won't be nearly so bad, from a distance.
                  I was going to try the Remote Colonoscopy appointment but had issues with the camera placement.

On the serious note, I have felt the same. I live in North Idaho so I get in the car and drive to a remote location and enjoy nature.

Stay safe and sane

Zagnut 2012

Comment

• Rangerzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe these online sources will help you find interesting sites to replace actually getting out of the house.

Here are our picks for your digital dose of arts and culture, all from the comfort of your couch.

Here in Seattle — and everywhere else — live arts events have been put on pause. But we can still immerse ourselves in the arts, from rebroadcasts to livestreams, podcasts to social media. Here’s just a tiny sampling.

Discover thousands of free online courses, audio books, movies, textbooks, eBooks, language lessons, and more.
                    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Thank you RZ.

Feel like I’m coming around. Got a few more big fixes in my house done today. Everything in the house is officially complete.

I’m going to start looking into some of these virtual tours and such. Maybe it’ll source up some ideas for the future.

I’m getting better. Still haven’t talked to doc yet, but I feel nicer weather should help. Getting it this weekend

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

So there’s this new app called cameo. Where celebrities can give out shout outs for morale boosters, birthdays, weddings, whatever. When I was introduced I immediately went to search for GU players. Found you can have Kevin Pangos give a shoutout for only $10. I went and sent a morale booster to a buddy of mine and he absolutely loved it. Pangos is such a great guy.

Had some help to do it (thanks whoohoo)

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

We haven't heard from you in a while. I realized it driving home today. I hope things are OK, and that you are getting by.

It still is a difficult time. I officially re-opened yesterday. I spent much of the last 10 weeks staring into space. There was much I could have done...but very little that I actually did. I am trying to get back into the saddle as well.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

I just saw this. Sorry I missed out on it.

I have two suggestions, make of them what you will:

1. Meditation - there are a ton on YouTube that walk you through how to get started, and once started it can get deep, fast.

2. Become an armchair expert in something that interests you. Read up on how to emergency land a 737, become conversant in how birds navigate south, study the history of India, figure out how they mine for uranium (I'm just throwing stupid sht out there), detailed study of the Civil War.

I think both those two would help near anyone.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

I got in touch with Woohoo, knowing that they are friends, and was told that 62 is doing fine. They text almost everyday.

Comment

Working...
                              X