• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Brandon Clarke is the Draft Steal We Should Have All Seen Coming

To try my hand at carrying on in the long tradition of posting new threads about old players in the wrong forum, I wanted to post this nice article that I came across today (while checking on the Seattle Seahawk injury situation, no less). Per usual, I expect this to end up in the Old Dogs forum but thought the article was too good not to share here. Brandon is such a great story and should catch the attention of any college player who is thinking about transferring and improving his game at GU. The article says some stuff we Zag crazies know already around here, but there is a nice breakdown of his NBA success, as well. I got to catch him in Phoenix and he played very well- the only thing holding him back is his coach, frankly, as he was very productive but could have played a lot more minutes... As an aside, the NBA game can be hard to watch, at least in the regular season. To wit, Brandon had a mismatch in the post when a guard switched on him but his team made no effort to get him the ball. This was typical of how the game was played. He gets his points off of talent, basketball IQ, and hard work.

To the surprise of very few paying attention, Clarke currently looks like the steal of the draft. He has been effective in the league in all the ways he dominated college, while continuing to add new parts to his game. All of the consternation about his positional fit in the league was misguided for one simple reason: this is a young player who is just incredibly good at basketball. He was always going to find a way to make it work.
  • GrizZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

I believe Brandon will emerge as a bright star in time. Like many rookies in NBA he’s got to earn the play time and adjust to the NBA game. Even Damontas had a bumpy road his first year. Brandon’s skill is otherworldly and his coach will learn about it in time. Go Brandon, don’t let up!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Zagricultural
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2012

Always said I'd draft Clarke ahead of Rui. For all his talent, I'm not a fan of Morant. Clarke would be thriving with a different point guard, but maybe it'll eventually work out.

Comment

• Robzagnut
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

I've been a member of Grizzley Bear Blues since BC was drafted by the Grizz. He and Morant have a bright future.

Comment

• Robzagnut
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zagricultural View Post
          Always said I'd draft Clarke ahead of Rui. For all his talent, I'm not a fan of Morant. Clarke would be thriving with a different point guard, but maybe it'll eventually work out.
          Clarke isn't thriving? Morant will be rookie of the year. He's awesome.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

First off - THANKS for finding and posting this article...it was GREAT reading! BC Was an outstanding player at GU and am so glad to see him shine - deservedly so too!

Originally posted by Zagricultural View Post
            Well, I was the opposite...always felt that Rui was the better pick. Both are having excellent rookie years but still think that Rui has more of an upside in that he can be a dominant scorer in the league...not an LB at this point but once he finds his comfort zone it will be evident to all who follow him. BC is the overall better athlete but will he ever become a "go-to-scorer?" I don't know the answer as the article kinda stated that from what we see that isn't going to be his strength.

I believe both will have long careers as long as the injury bug doesn't find either of them...

Also, it is amazing how DS, BC and Rui are all excelling...hopefully, KO will once again find his grove...

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              To try my hand at carrying on in the long tradition of posting new threads about old players in the wrong forum, I wanted to post this nice article
              would have been nice to have BC for more than one year, but what a year. thanks for the link

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                would have been nice to have BC for more than one year, but what a year. thanks for the link
                Goss and BC would start on an all time, one year wonder GU team. Who else?

Comment

• FlyZag
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Goss and BC would start on an all time, one year wonder GU team. Who else?
                  Collins.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
                    Collins.
                    Keep going. We’ve got Mathews, Goss, Zbo, BC. Need a wing.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

Morrison

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Wesley

Comment

• Markburn1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2015

Suggs???

Oh, wait. We've still got to get through a bazillion more posts between now and January 4th.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                            Morrison
                            Played one year only.

Comment

• OntZags
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Jan 2017

I'm thinking by the end of this season, it'll probably be one of Woolridge/Gilder, depending on who finishes season stronger. Run Matthews at the 3 ala 2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X