Um, Whitworth, may we have a word with you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Um, Whitworth, may we have a word with you?

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

From one of the media guys on Twitter:

Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik

Today Spokane County Commissioners are going to name Whitworth “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”.

WSU AD Pat Chun said this past season WSU is the best basketball team in Washington no matter what anyone says.

Gonzaga doesn’t exist.
    Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik
    ·
    1h
    So I just got word from Spokane County spokesperson Jared Webley that Whitworth WON’T be recognized as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”. Thread below.
    Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik
    ·
    1h
    A draft had been mocked up by both Whitworth and the county to recognize the Pirates as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”. The county edited it and meant to send a copy that they would just recognize Whitworth for their accomplishments this season. But... Whitworth was sent an incorrect draft stating they would be recognized as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team” instead when that was never going to be the case. So that’s what happened. There will be no such recognition for any school.

Still no word on if Gonzaga exists.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• Shanachie
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

From the article:

Webley said they would never point out one team specifically considering there are several other prestigious basketball teams across the county. Gonzaga University and Eastern Washington University both have successful men’s basketball teams.

I guess that's one way to describe it.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

When I first saw this on twitter (from KXLY) I thought to myself that Spokane Falls CC must have been a close 2nd ... and I was hopeful that our Zags would at least be a solid 3rd.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

By what metric is EWU successful (per the article)? Overall losing record in conference games, only 4 regular season conference championships and only 2 NCAA Tourney appearances. 12 20 win seasons since 1950, only 4 since 2000. If that is successful, the bar is set really, really low.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
            By what metric is EWU successful (per the article)? Overall losing record in conference games, only 4 regular season conference championships and only 2 NCAA Tourney appearances. 12 20 win seasons since 1950, only 4 since 2000. If that is successful, the bar is set really, really low.
            In 1990 the Chicago Bulls played Cleveland and Michael Jordan went off and scored 69 points. He also had 18 boards, six assists and four steals. A game for the ages.

After the game, Stacey King, a Bulls rookie, marveled that "I’ll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined to score 70." King scored one point.

For some reason this story seemed apropos when discussing the relative accomplishments of Spokane County's collegiate basketball programs. Just think about it and let's be real. Over the past two decades, the Gonzaga, EWU, and Whitworth hoops teams have combined for 24 bids to the big dance and have collectively advanced to 9 Sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s and a Final Four.

I fully support the effort to recognize Whitworth and EWU hoops. I propose we name them the "Stacey King/Spokane County Men's Basketball Team."

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
              In 1990 the Chicago Bulls played Cleveland and Michael Jordan went off and scored 69 points. He also had 18 boards, six assists and four steals. A game for the ages.

After the game, Stacey King, a Bulls rookie, marveled that "I’ll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined to score 70." King scored one point.

For some reason this story seemed apropos when discussing the relative accomplishments of Spokane County's collegiate basketball programs. Just think about it and let's be real. Over the past two decades, the Gonzaga, EWU, and Whitworth hoops teams have combined for 24 bids to the big dance and have collectively advanced to 9 Sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s and a Final Four.

I fully support the effort to recognize Whitworth and EWU hoops. I propose we name them the "Stacey King/Spokane County Men's Basketball Team."
              Whitworth is not D1.

They play in the post season almost every year, just a lower division.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• ZAG 4 LIFE
                Kennel Club
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                When I first saw this on twitter (from KXLY) I thought to myself that Spokane Falls CC must have been a close 2nd ... and I was hopeful that our Zags would at least be a solid 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944
                Yes... I, too, was hoping for at least a Bronze ��

Comment

• zagmeister
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • May 2019

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  Gosh, seacat... IMHO Webley was simply being PC. I seriously doubt there were any real basketball stats involved in his Spokane-region comment.

Comment

• daskim
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2020

I'm a Whitworth undergraduate graduate and suited up for the Pirates years ago. Whitworth is a NCAA D3 school, and one of the most successful ones in the nation. In football, basketball, swimming, track and field, and other sports.

They have had a stellar basketball program at least over the last decade.

Whitworth had several other accomplishments during that decade:

Nine NCAA Division III tournament appearances
                    One Elite 8 and four Sweet 16 appearances
                    Seven regular season Northwest Conference titles
                    Seven Northwest Conference tournament championships
                    Six Northwest Conference Players of the Year
                    Five Division III All-Americans (either NABC or D3hoops.com), including the 2011 NCAA Division III Player of the Year (Michael Taylor)
                    Ten All-West Region honorees
                    A home record of 131-16 (.891)

Top Ten Winningest Men's Basketball Programs in the Decade, by Winning Percentage [for all divisions]:

.895, West Liberty D-II, 298-35
                    .874, Lincoln Memorial D-II, 284-41
                    .858, Gonzaga D-I, 308-51
                    .851, Whitworth D-III, 245-43

Not saying by a measure that they are Spokane County's team, but as a non scholarship Division III school, they are spectacularly successful.

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

What’s their NCAA tournament record? I don’t remember

Comment

• phxfireflames
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Mar 2009

Time to settle this on the court

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Maybe THE Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team

Nope. Sounds just as bad as I thought it would. Sorry Buckeyes.
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                            I'm a Whitworth undergraduate graduate and suited up for the Pirates years ago. Whitworth is a NCAA D3 school, and one of the most successful ones in the nation. In football, basketball, swimming, track and field, and other sports.

They have had a stellar basketball program at least over the last decade.

Whitworth had several other accomplishments during that decade:

Nine NCAA Division III tournament appearances
                            One Elite 8 and four Sweet 16 appearances
                            Seven regular season Northwest Conference titles
                            Seven Northwest Conference tournament championships
                            Six Northwest Conference Players of the Year
                            Five Division III All-Americans (either NABC or D3hoops.com), including the 2011 NCAA Division III Player of the Year (Michael Taylor)
                            Ten All-West Region honorees
                            A home record of 131-16 (.891)

Top Ten Winningest Men's Basketball Programs in the Decade, by Winning Percentage [for all divisions]:

.895, West Liberty D-II, 298-35
                            .874, Lincoln Memorial D-II, 284-41
                            .858, Gonzaga D-I, 308-51
                            .851, Whitworth D-III, 245-43

Not saying by a measure that they are Spokane County's team, but as a non scholarship Division III school, they are spectacularly successful.
                            You know what? Thanks for posting this. I was ignorant of every single one of these facts. And I am ashamed that I belittled Whitworth. And I am happy to admit it. I support student athletes at all levels and these accomplishments deserve respect. I am sorry that my own zeal as a Zag fan blinded me to this. As a Division III school Whitworth has acquitted itself admirably based on what you have shared and I, for one, am one Zag who tips my cap and is not at all ashamed to admit I was wrong to have been perhaps arrogant and condescending in my ignorance here.

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Whitworth isn't even in Spokane.

Oh nevermind, I missed the part about it being county not city.
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                              X