• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rennis View Post
    It would be a shame if they had to relocate the teams away from Spokane because of the virus. And a real bummer for the Zags if they don't, AT LONG LAST, get to play in front of the hometown crowd.
    FWIW Adam Morrison suggested on a recent broadcast that playing in spokane would be a disadvantage to Gonzaga, who would then be dealing with added craziness of every friend, neighbor, mailman, and babysitter trying to bum free tickets and the general added pressure and distraction of being around all those folks at home. He suggested a venue in the same time zone would be ideal - facilitating focus and more a "business trip" environment.

I think at this point Gonzaga WILL be in Spokane, but Morrison's opinion stuck with me and I'd defer to him about what would ultimately be most conducive to winning games.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Inslee ? lolol It's bad in Seattle where ALL deaths have occurred. Spokane's not been a hotbed of infection. 4 in town we know of and 2 suspects were discharged home already..

Comment

• SWZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
        FWIW Adam Morrison suggested on a recent broadcast that playing in spokane would be a disadvantage to Gonzaga, who would then be dealing with added craziness of every friend, neighbor, mailman, and babysitter trying to bum free tickets and the general added pressure and distraction of being around all those folks at home. He suggested a venue in the same time zone would be ideal - facilitating focus and more a "business trip" environment.

I think at this point Gonzaga WILL be in Spokane, but Morrison's opinion stuck with me and I'd defer to him about what would ultimately be most conducive to winning games.
        Very good point!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• amaronizag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Jul 2013

Can't see how the city makes any difference. It's where the spectators/players hail from, and that's everywhere. No way to control that. Too early to tell if they need to at this point, but things change quickly. Worst case scenario, empty gyms and either sky high advertising rates like super bowl, and/or pay per view. The networks will not be denied $$$$ nor will the NCAA and colleges. I suspect this year will be like last year, the games will go on and the houses will be packed.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

I wonder just how much power to cancel this Inslee would have?

I know he has said he is considering cancelling large gatherings, sports in particular, but he would be taking on the NCAA and a lot of other political entities.
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I can understand Morrison and his concern about distractions, but you just have to take this. Especially in this field. The 8/9's aren't going to be nearly as dangerous as they usually are. I think this team has the maturity and the coaching acumen to fight off the temptation of complacency.....that playing in Spokane means an automatic pass to the S-16. It's not going to be THAT easy. The team has had some close calls at the Kennel this year. They know that they must play well.

Comment

• jbslicer
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                I can understand Morrison and his concern about distractions, but you just have to take this. Especially in this field. The 8/9's aren't going to be nearly as dangerous as they usually are. I think this team has the maturity and the coaching acumen to fight off the temptation of complacency.....that playing in Spokane means an automatic pass to the S-16. It's not going to be THAT easy. The team has had some close calls at the Kennel this year. They know that they must play well.
                Why would you want to pass up the home crowd? You play elsewhere and the local fans root for the upset.

Comment

• Bogozags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2008

Regarding WA's governor's contemplating the suspension of fans at athletic events to limit the possibility of exposure to thousands of people in one area. Is the Spokane Arena a public venue - YES it is so he has the jurisdiction of suspending fan attendance at the games.

For Spokane/GU Fans it would really be a sad day "IF" fans were not allowed to attend any of the games BUT someone has to be the "adult in the room" and if cancelling fan attendance makes sense, then it is better to err on the cautious side.

I'm scheduled to go on a cruise in May after my wife retires a second time BUT I would rather forgo the cruise then go on it and then be possibly quarantined for maybe weeks.

Playing without fans happens to GU every year when they scrimmage so I don't see any difference. Watching them play on TV wouldn't be a good as being in person BUT it could well be the safer choice for all concerned...I want the players/staff/officials/administrators to be safe and free from exposure.

Also, not sure I agree with Adam on playing in a different environment would be better...the Battle in Seattle is an example where GU basically played before "home crowds" and never thought we lost a game because of the fans and quite possibly, the fans helped GU win a game or two...IMO

Comment

• johno
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2008

If Spokane gets some cases of infection in the general public we have to expect that teams will be concerned about flying to Spokane and playing. Two teams already cancelled games in Seattle against Seattle U.

Comment

• LTownZag
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by jbslicer View Post
                      Why would you want to pass up the home crowd? You play elsewhere and the local fans root for the upset.
                      I can't re-state Adam Morrison's opinions any better than I tried to do a few posts up.

I think most of his points about the distractions and added pressures applied only to an NCAA tourney atmosphere in Spokane and were things that would not apply to regular season games. IE the way I understood Ammo's view, it would be a disadvantage to be in Spokane for the NCAA tournament for reasons that don't apply to normal home games, where it is an advantage to play at home.

Comment

• MEZAG
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Adam was a home town boy. Most of the things he thought would add pressure, friends that live locally, family that live locally all wanting tickets and attention does not apply to almost any of the current mens Zags.

Comment

• Lewey
                          Kennel Club
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by johno View Post
                          If Spokane gets some cases of infection in the general public we have to expect that teams will be concerned about flying to Spokane and playing. Two teams already cancelled games in Seattle against Seattle U.
                          I'm guessing that in two weeks there will be a few cases in Spokane. Probably will depend on if there are a very small amount or larger. And where they think they came from. Just announced one is in a hospital in Wenatchee.

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

A good source to track what is going on world wide.

COVID-19 statistics, graphs, and data tables showing the total number of cases, cases per day, world map timeline, cases by country, death toll, charts and tables with number of deaths, recoveries and discharges, newly infected, active cases, outcome of closed cases: death rate vs. recovery rate for patients infected with the COVID-19 Coronavirus originating from Wuhan, China

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              A good source to track what is going on world wide.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona..._tbV0tUEAQnfAQ
                              COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
                              *Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE DEATH RATE confirmed cases DEATH RATE all cases

80+ years old 21.9% 14.8%
                              70-79 years old 8.0%
                              60-69 years old 3.6%
                              50-59 years old 1.3%
                              40-49 years old 0.4%
                              30-39 years old 0.2%
                              20-29 years old 0.2%
                              10-19 years old 0.2%
                              0-9 years old no fatalities

It looks like the greatest danger is among the elderly. That probably is because of the outbreak at the Senior Care center.

Comment

• CB4
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2009

I suspect that if teams don't want to play Gonzaga in Spokane in the NCAA tournament it's because they have an old case of the GONZAGA FLU, rather than Sars, Norovirus, Bird Flew, Mad Cow, Corona, Coors, Budweiser.

Comment

Working...
                                X