• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Bert Smith ( fainting referee)

Here is an interesting update on Bert Smith the ref who passed out in the USC game.

“She said: ‘I got the answer to the question. You went down because you had a blood clot in your lung.’”

Smith’s pausing. Dr. Katie Trammel, he’s wanting me to know, may have saved his life.

“You don’t know where that clot was going next,” he says.

Smith was admitted into Methodist and put on blood thinners. Two days later, clot gone, he was discharged. Where did it come from? Nobody can say. Smith tested positive for the coronavirus in August, but doctors can’t say whether there’s a correlation between COVID-19 and his blood clot.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • daskim
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2020

Wow.

He was doing everything right.

Glad the physicians discovered the clot.

Comment

• strikenowhere
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Blood clots are bad bad bad - glad to hear they found the problem and that he's going to be ok. I'm assuming he'll be able to referee once again?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Saved by the game. Got great immediate care, etc. Had he experienced this in any other setting, who knows. God bless.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

There are a lot of factors that contribute to blood clots. Sometimes they just happen. Some persons are genetically predisposed. It seems like he should be able to referee again. Physical inactivity is one of the worst things for them. Airplane travel/extended periods of inactivity would have to be remediated by semi-frequent walk breaks.

Comment

• ZagZombie
            Kennel Club Material
            • Jun 2011

Remember that night they talked about just sending him back to his hotel room instead of immediately taking him to the hospital? Still unfathomable to think that was ok. Glad to hear Bert is doing well.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagZombie View Post
              Remember that night they talked about just sending him back to his hotel room instead of immediately taking him to the hospital? Still unfathomable to think that was ok. Glad to hear Bert is doing well.
              And Barkley too was astounded. And his silly fellow panelists could only titter. Kenny wanted to know if Bert was a power 5 grad/jk..

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I had a blood clot in my lung, and I will tell you it is scary. I couldn't breath and thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me several shots with something that felt like they were shooting battery acid into me. It must have worked, because that was 10 years ago, and I haven't had that problem again.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Mar 2008

I am glad he is ok. Very scary.

The part where he was tricked onto the stretcher is funny. You could tell he was upset. I figured it was just because he wasn't feeling well and annoyed that he couldn't finish the game. Looking at the picture in the new light, he is pissed!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                    I had a blood clot in my lung, and I will tell you it is scary. I couldn't breath and thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me several shots with something that felt like they were shooting battery acid into me. It must have worked, because that was 10 years ago, and I haven't had that problem again.
                    Maybe Lovenox.

Fun fact: There are a lot of options now, but Coumadin, one of the mainstays of treatment for the longest time, has its foundation as mouse poison.

Comment

• whatazag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      And Barkley too was astounded. And his silly fellow panelists could only titter. Kenny wanted to know if Bert was a power 5 grad/jk..
                      Jazz, I laughed pretty hard at this, well done.

Comment

• JPW314159
                        Kennel Club
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        Maybe Lovenox.

Fun fact: There are a lot of options now, but Coumadin, one of the mainstays of treatment for the longest time, has its foundation as mouse poison.
                        I've been taking rat poison for 21 years now. Works very well for avoiding future blood clots. Had a pulmonary embolism out of the blue. Found out all about genetic disorders Leiden Factor 5 and Leiden Factor 8. Wife made a t-shirt so I remember to take poison everyday. I hope that's to stop clots and has nothing to do with life insurance policy.

Comment

• 509er
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
                          I am glad he is ok. Very scary.

The part where he was tricked onto the stretcher is funny. You could tell he was upset. I figured it was just because he wasn't feeling well and annoyed that he couldn't finish the game. Looking at the picture in the new light, he is pissed!
                          We’re any of you at the GU game in the mid to late 70s when the referee went down but eventually got up and continued to referee the game until he collapses again? The second time he wasn’t so lucky. One of the most surreal moments I’ve been around in athletics.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Glad Bert is O.K.
                            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• sylean
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2010

they could have given you TPA which does desolve clots....the other stuff only thins your blood....

I wonder if the ref had the covid vaccine recently...

Comment

Working...
                              X