Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2017

Officiating

Final four teams, final four officials.

I thought it was well called.
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Don't favor the relaxation of the rules on contact in the tournament. Too much hockey-style checking. Then they decide to call contact at crazy times like when Kispert brushed against a Bruin on a rebound. But, in the end, can't say the officials decided the game - but, I still don't like the amount of contact that is allowed.

Comment

• scrooner
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

+1

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Most board Baylor fans were convinced it was a foul on "the block"

Slow any play in this game down for a second and one will see a foul.

On the one hand, the officials "let them play" and we'd have had guys fouled out if they didn't

On the other, it kept UCLA in the game as the rugby match.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
          Don't favor the relaxation of the rules on contact in the tournament. Too much hockey-style checking. Then they decide to call contact at crazy times like when Kispert brushed against a Bruin on a rebound. But, in the end, can't say the officials decided the game - but, I still don't like the amount of contact that is allowed.
          Agreed. I don't know that the calls favored either team. However, they were terribly inconsistent in the amount of contact they allowed. This is especially true down low on shots and rebounds. People would come flying in for an offensive board on one play and another Ayayi was thrown to the ground and called for a foul. I was a little unimpressed overall with the jobs the refs did, but boy did they have some brass ones to call that charge at the end of regulation.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
            One play, in particular, the UCLA center set a screen, a moving one, and trapped Suggs. He proceeded to push him 2-3 steps into the paint and when Suggs reached around to stop Juzang, They called Jalen for the foul.
            The announcers were saying a moving screen, but the officials saw it different.
            Juzang mad two free throws, so it was a mini swing.
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

It was a physical game....refs did the best they could imo

Comment

• Birddog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
                Agreed. I don't know that the calls favored either team. However, they were terribly inconsistent in the amount of contact they allowed. This is especially true down low on shots and rebounds. People would come flying in for an offensive board on one play and another Ayayi was thrown to the ground and called for a foul. I was a little unimpressed overall with the jobs the refs did, but boy did they have some brass ones to call that charge at the end of regulation.
                Agree 100%
                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• StatZag19
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • May 2019

I usually think a well officiated game is one where it is called evenly both ways, whether it is the "right" or "wrong" call. Both teams have a fair chance and understand what is allowed/not allowed that game.

Today? Didn't feel that way. Not egregious, but felt like some things were allowed on one end that wasn't on the other end.
                  I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• zagfan08
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Refs were fine. Team fouls were pretty reasonable in both halves. Hard game to officiate and we’ve seen a lot worse.

Comment

• gonzagabasketball
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Dec 2011

It was bad, definitely didn't favor one team or the other though. Amazing game, all time great performance by by all.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

I am going to have to rewatch but in the heat of the moment, UCLA seemed to get the benefit of all of the 50-50 calls down the stretch, excluding the Suggs block and the Timme charge. I thought the charge was an obvious one that they got right. I think you reward Suggs with that block from behind, as I favor giving the guy who made an amazing play the benefit of a call like that.

Some questionable ones off the top of my head:
                        - the aforementioned call on Ayayi when he got shucked to the ground
                        - the Drew Timme travel (that shot went in)
                        - the Suggs offensive foul on Tyger. That could easily have been a play-on (Suggs made that basket)
                        - the call on Kispert when his arms were stationary and the guy jumped into them from underneath

I say this just to say that for anyone who thinks UCLA got jobbed, the Zags would have missed OT if one extra 50/50 call went their way.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                          I am going to have to rewatch but in the heat of the moment, UCLA seemed to get the benefit of all of the 50-50 calls down the stretch, excluding the Suggs block and the Timme charge. I thought the charge was an obvious one that they got right. I think you reward Suggs with that block from behind, as I favor giving the guy who made an amazing play the benefit of a call like that.

- the Suggs offensive foul on Tyger. That could easily have been a play-on (Suggs made that basket)
                          - the call on Kispert when his arms were stationary and the guy jumped into them from underneath

I say this just to say that for anyone who thinks UCLA got jobbed, the Zags would have missed OT if one extra 50/50 call went their way.
                          Well said. They definitely got more calls than we did. At times it felt like we were playing against the refs too. All is forgiven, we wouldn’t have had that finish without it.
                          It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• billyberu
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

I concur mightily. Honestly, what is so controversial about the charge call on Juzenga? Timme's feet were set and he was outside the restricted area. That's just great defense and even bigger balls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                            Surfmonkey89

Comment

• zag944
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I try not to get too upset about all the bang bang plays that occur throughout a game but this one really pissed me off. They should have flop warned Tyger early in the game and maybe this crucial bad call doesn’t happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X