X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

How many games is the morally perfect amount?

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
      Yup… but I’m sure they scheduled that second exhibition game a couple weeks ago to get our young guys time. As someone who has been on two college staffs— you typically aren’t adding games in near october…
      Again, why did they have to schedule an exhibition game in regards to any suspension? There’s not set punishment for DUI so they could’ve just set the suspension at three instead. Some people just need something to complain about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• zagfan08
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Yeah, it’s likely they added a game so Few could have more of a punishment and still be back for Texas. I can see why some would think that’s shady but to me it’s not a big deal. 30 years of service without a blemish from Coach Few contributed to a lighter consequence that allows him to still coach against Texas, which to me is the right call. And I’m still confident no one will be talking about it come midseason.

Comment

• StatZag
          Banned
          • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
          Again, why did they have to schedule an exhibition game in regards to any suspension? There’s not set punishment for DUI so they could’ve just set the suspension at three instead. Some people just need something to complain about.

Nobody is arguing that GU "had to" schedule another (or even 1) exhibition.

Nobody is arguing that "4 events" is the "set punishment".

People are arguing (or at least stating their various confidence levels) that haviong 2 exhibitions, since that hasn't happened in 12 years and wasn't announced until well after the DUI, is being done instead of the originally planned 1 exhibition as a convenient way to get Few a "3 game" punishment, which sounds appropriate and serious and is also conveniently 1 more game than Josh Perkins' DUI suspension, without punishing Few for anything other than a Dixie State 50 point blowout. And the points are easily being connected by folks nationally:

If there was strong evidence that both exhibitions were planned and agreed on before 9/6, it would obviously prove that an event wasn't added to "pad" the punishment.

(The irony of counting today's absence as a punishment of any kind is rich, since coach Few would have gladly paid money to skip the annual glitzy PR fest for once and go fishing instead.)

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post

Exactly! It seems the main argument is that an additional game was added. Then think of it as a three event suspension. Who cares? Like you said, it isn't as though it is a mandatory punishment.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
              Zag for Life
              • May 2008

Originally posted by StatZag View Post

People are arguing (or at least stating their various confidence levels) that haviong 2 exhibitions, since that hasn't happened in 12 years and wasn't announced until well after the DUI, is being done instead of the originally planned 1 exhibition as a convenient way to get Few a "3 game" punishment, which sounds appropriate and serious and is also conveniently 1 more game than Josh Perkins' DUI suspension, without punishing Few for anything other than a Dixie State 50 point blowout. And the points are easily being connected by folks nationally:

If there was strong evidence that both exhibitions were planned and agreed on before 9/6, it would obviously prove that an event wasn't added to "pad" the punishment.

(The irony of counting today's absence as a punishment of any kind is rich, since coach Few would have gladly paid money to skip the annual glitzy PR fest for once and go fishing instead.)
              Oh well, makes no sense to me. They could’ve said 2, 3, 4 or whatever they wanted. I don’t buy for even a second they added an exhibition game to make the repercussion to Coach Few look better to the public. Honestly, no matter what they did, there still would have been those saying it wasn’t enough or it was too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ZagNut08
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
                Exactly! It seems the main argument is that an additional game was added. Then think of it as a three event suspension. Who cares? Like you said, it isn't as though it is a mandatory punishment.
                Yup, not sure why this eludes so many. Not like NCAA passed this down and GU is trying to sidestep…

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JAGzag View Post
                  Good grief. It’s personal misconduct (off-duty and not in conjunction with Few’s job). Sounds like he’s accepted his wrong-doing and the internet police on this page want to argue over a “second exhibition” game as grounds for “adequate” punishment? Get over yourselves. Punishment fits the crime. Few is human, made a bad decision. Let’s all move on. Threads have been locked for less-shut this down and let’s focus on the season.
                  A voice of reason

Comment

• zagfan08
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
                    Yup, not sure why this eludes so many. Not like NCAA passed this down and GU is trying to sidestep…
                    +1

Comment

• ZagNation
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2014

Sounds like many want Coach Few canceled. This is the new world we live in. We are building back better I guess.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by StatZag View Post

Norlander’s presenting of the facts here sums up things nicely. Nobody here wants to “cancel” Few or tighten the screws on a guy for making a mistake. The point is it is disingenuous at best for a second exhibition game to be scheduled suddenly for the first time in 12 years thus allowing the “punishment” of “4 events” (rather than games) to sort of exceed the 3 game suspension Perkins was given for sleeping UI w keys in the ignition.

As others have pointed out, if KU, UK or Duke did exact same thing for Self, Calipari or Coach K if they had gotten pulled over for a DUI fans here would be calling BS.

We are all huge Gonzaga fans here and want what’s best for the program, university and Coach Few. Shady ethics like this is not the high integrity, do things the right way, family atmosphere branding this whole unbelievable success story has been built upon. If folks here can’t see that, well, you have reached Dukie level arrogance and entitlement levels and maybe need to drink less of the kool aid.
                        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Bing
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

That is your opinion

Sounds like you truly believe that just because you didn’t know what Gonzaga’s 2nd authorized exhibition was going to be this year (secret scrimmage or game) that means it is a shady conspiracy. Wow. I think that had it been a secret scrimmage that Few’s suspension would have kept him out of that as well.

Also could you kindly point out where Josh’s suspension was referenced vis a vis Few? The only place I could find that was in internet warrior Conspiracy Theories.

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                          Norlander’s presenting of the facts here sums up things nicely. Nobody here wants to “cancel” Few or tighten the screws on a guy for making a mistake. The point is it is disingenuous at best for a second exhibition game to be scheduled suddenly for the first time in 12 years thus allowing the “punishment” of “4 events” (rather than games) to sort of exceed the 3 game suspension Perkins was given for sleeping UI w keys in the ignition.

As others have pointed out, if KU, UK or Duke did exact same thing for Self, Calipari or Coach K if they had gotten pulled over for a DUI fans here would be calling BS.

We are all huge Gonzaga fans here and want what’s best for the program, university and Coach Few. Shady ethics like this is not the high integrity, do things the right way, family atmosphere branding this whole unbelievable success story has been built upon. If folks here can’t see that, well, you have reached Dukie level arrogance and entitlement levels and maybe need to drink less of the kool aid.
                          gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                            That is your opinion

Sounds like you truly believe that just because you didn’t know what Gonzaga’s 2nd authorized exhibition was going to be this year (secret scrimmage or game) that means it is a shady conspiracy. Wow. I think that had it been a secret scrimmage that Few’s suspension would have kept him out of that as well.

Also could you kindly point out where Josh’s suspension was referenced vis a vis Few? The only place I could find that was in internet warrior Conspiracy Theories.
                            If you don’t think Perkins’ suspension factored into the equation as to what Few’s would be, you are really underestimating the intelligence of the people in GU’s athletic department and marketing side. If you don’t think suddenly adding a 2nd exhibition game for the first time in 12 years is related to this DUI consequences calculation, I don’t know what to tell you. Seems a rather naive take to just consider it a coincidence.
                            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

My final word. Forget the ham handed way the Admin conceived and rolled out the news, what’s most egregious to me and, yes, grossly disingenuous, are the words attributed to Few in responding to the mini banishment. He calls them “three games” as if we are all dumb to the facts of what they really are and then he laments that his team will suffer from his absence on the sideline. Whoever crafted that should have his or her own wrist slapped. Out.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagNation View Post
                                Sounds like many want Coach Few canceled. This is the new world we live in. We are building back better I guess.

Yo mods, we allowed to infuse our political takes into our posts now?

Comment

Working...
                                X