X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kemo 1966
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2016

Congrats to the Lady Zags for hanging on, without Barta, in a rough and tumble game. I only could image what was going on...tried to keep an eye on this post and the 'Live Stats'...... some clutch threes and good enough FT % Had some questions on CLF hanging on to 3 TO's .... of course, not seeing the action.... Sure hope Barta has nothing more than a sprain! That was a 'small line-up they finished with! I'll wait for ZagDad's report... hopefully there is a replay video for the game.

Comment

• ZagDad84
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2014

I see GU was in the spirit of the season by giving WSU 26 turnovers. WSU equally was in the Xmas spirit by only shooting 28% overall and 14% from 3.

Another game like EWU, bruiser ball instead of basketball.

The best news was GU got 30 points in the 1st half with JB getting exactly have of them. Without JB in the second half, the Lady Zags were able to score 34pts.

First half GU had 16 turnovers leading to 17 points. Second half the Zags had 10 more turnovers but WSU was only able to turn them into 2 points.

In general, GU (and freshman in particular) had a hard time with the switches leading to lay-ups for the Cougs. Thankfully the Cougs could not find the ocean from the beach. Can't count on that on Saturday.

JT was getting feisty today. Several rebounds, great tap-outs, wrestling for rebound and the getting tie-up and the lay-up on the fast break through contact. Young lady plays like her linebacker cousin. Need the toughness inside. Go get'm Beans.

Stat line said LF got 3 minutes today. I missed her, did anybody else see her in the game?

It was ugly and JB got hurt but it was a win overall and now we can heal and prepare for UNLV. At least it is in the Kennel where the girls play much better.

ZagDad

Comment

• Zaglaw
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I watched the game with my laptop connected to our TV. It was a PAC12 webcast. Pretty good pic until very end. When Barta came back out, she had a boot on, but was smiling and talking to her team mates. Most of the game we did not seem very poised. Sloppy passes, lack of awareness, taking the clock down with no available shot. At the end, however, we seemed to gain some composure while WSU got flustered. Overall, a difficult game to watch. One positive is that the team managed to pull it out without JB. Z came up big.

Comment

• ZagDad84
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2014

Another call out to Chandler Smith.

Played 38 minutes today, resulting in 8 points and 11(!!) rebounds. Throw in the 4 pts and 3 rebounds from JT today and that is 12 pots and 14 rebounds from the #3 slot. Great production ladies.

ZagDad

Comment

• Coug Tracks
            Kennel Club
            • Dec 2007

Well, that set hoops back a century. My thoughts go out to Barta and really hope she is ok and back soon. Marvelous talent and enjoy watching her when I get the chance.

Comment

• TerpZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Gonzaga 64 - WSU 56 Final Game Stats

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2016

Barta got injured when the player she was defending, got the ball behind her on a pass at the basket, and Barta bunny hopped and came down wrong on her left foot when she kind of tangled her foot up on the WSU player from behind. Good news she was not jumping high up and coming down hard on her foot. Did not see any over exaggerated twisting motion. Those are all good signs hopefully. Then again just speculating and remaining hopeful (Power of positive thinking right?)

Would definitely not expect to see Barta play Saturday. Even if its a sprain needs to heal.
                Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 12-06-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

Wow, those stats. Zags w/ 26 turnovers and Cougs had almost 30 more shot attempts than GU did. It shouldn't have been possible for the Zags to win, yet they did. Strange game.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2014

Here are the write-ups for the Lady Zags vs Lady Cougs game tonight:

GoCougs: http://www.wsucougars.com/news/2017/...o-gonzaga.aspx

GoZags: http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskb...120617aaa.html

Spokesman-Review: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ington-state-/

WSU Coach had some very nice comments in her post game interview about both the Zags and Jill Barta. Get to the post game interviews from the WSU game write-up summary.

ZagDad

Comment

• sylean
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2010

my take on this game....

good showing by Zag fans...two buses and many people drove themselves down...WSU had some fans but they scheduled poorly...their mens team played over in Moscow...

I have a problem with the Jumbo screen because it did not offer many stats at all....could never tell who had points, who had fouls...there was a tiny little screen showing how many time outs and how many team fouls...there was a small screen showing rebounds, steals, but not who....mostly interested in points and fouls....if you're going to have a big screen , keep the fans informed, darn it...

the game itself....not looking at stats or numbers or any of that..just my observations in general...

yes, it was sloppy...yes we had so many turnovers...yes, we had a very small number of assists...although we outrebounded the first half at sometime they equaled or maybe surpassed us...it was hard to keep track of things at the game...

but this team STUCK TOGETHER....when Jill went down, I sensed the team was deflated..they had two times down the court and I don't recall they scored at all....

I thought to myself...."they don't know what to do"..

amazingly though, they pulled themselves together...

they got some stops and got some timely points...

they suffered thru an inconsistent reffing crew....

of course, Zee, Jesse, and Chandler were outstanding....but everybody pitched in...

the Wirths....they may not make big numbers but I have to tell you all they kept us in that game...they held their serve so to speak...they did what they had to do, even if it was to be place keepers....and when Jen was fouled out, Leeann came right in.......these are the kinds of games where you see heart....big hearts....

these games build confidence...

so the heck with the turnovers....we won the dang thing....and the Cougs shot poorly but for once maybe we can say that we defended well when we needed to....

Congratulations team...!

Jill....she did come back on the court...someone said her father was there and went into the locker room....lets hope and pray she's got a minor injury.....sees to me that she would have been put on crutches right away but that didn't happen....maybe a good sign...prayers for Jill...she's been a warrior for us...

I did not see Louise play but I'll check the replay tomorrow...

thank God we got past this game.....

Comment

• ZagDad84
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2014

Hope JB is doing well and her injury is minor and the time off the court will be minimal. If she was going to have an injury, tonight's game or Saturday's game would have been the game for it. UNLV Saturday, then a couple of creampuffs the following week and then a week off before conference schedule begins. So Jill could have most of 3 weeks off before conference schedule starts. Hope the injury is nothing serious.

SeaCat asked in his comments, now that JB was out where were the Zags going to get their points from? The girls did a great job pulling together as a team and working as a team as Sylean noted above. WSU coach June Daugherty had nothing but good things to say about the Lady Zags and JB. She was impressed how the Lady Zags came together after their leader went down and found a way to win. She said her own team could learn from how GU coped with the adversity.

Good things - Good shooting away from the Kennel for the first time this year. Team came together after JB went down and found a way to win. It was a victory, a victory against a power 6 school and a victory away from the Kennel. All good things. JT flexed her muscle under the boards. She put up with nothing from the cougs. Great job JT.

Bad Things - Injury to JB. Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers and did I say Turnovers. Give WSU some credit, but we have seen this pressure earlier this year and done much better. JB and ZR need to hang onto the rebounds they get. Many times the GU player did not run toward the pass but the WSU player did getting the turnover. QUIT STANDING AROUND and move. Very sloppy play for an experienced set of guards - disappointed in our ball handling. Another issue was letting WSU get 28 offensive rebounds. Was anybody playing under the WSU basket tonight? With our shooting percentages we should have won by 20 or more points but turnovers and offensive rebounds kept WSU in it. Wirth twins got shown D-1 BB tonight. They were slow, missed switches and generally got pushed around. Frustration set in and several silly fouls came forth. Nobody gives you anything at this level, you have to take it. Your tall, athletic and gifted but you have to work for everything you get. Time to hit the practice court.

The only good thing to JB being out (if she is actually going to be out), is that the team has to quit relying on JB to pick up the slack. The team needs to bond together as a team, and play team basketball for the team to be successful. The starters and JT did that very well tonight (minus the turnovers & wsu's offensive rebounds). We need the whole team to get on the same page and when JB makes it back, we will be a stronger more cohesive team than we have now.

Great Win Ladies. Rebels are up next.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Comment

• Zaglaw
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                          Another call out to Chandler Smith.

Played 38 minutes today, resulting in 8 points and 11(!!) rebounds. Throw in the 4 pts and 3 rebounds from JT today and that is 12 pots and 14 rebounds from the #3 slot. Great production ladies.

ZagDad
                          Yes, Chandler is becoming a consistent key component of the team. I felt she should have played more last year, so I'm glad to see her starting and getting good minutes this year.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                            Another issue was letting WSU get 28 offensive rebounds.
                            Game summary in the paper this morning said WSU only got 11 points off those 28 O boards. Didn't really hurt GU that much. Not sure how many points WSU got from the 26 turnovers, but it was probably similarly way less than you would expect.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2016

Old stock photo for Rice, but article about Zags-WSU game link https://www.slipperstillfits.com

Comment

• ZagDad84
                                Zag for Life
                                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                                Game summary in the paper this morning said WSU only got 11 points off those 28 O boards. Didn't really hurt GU that much. Not sure how many points WSU got from the 26 turnovers, but it was probably similarly way less than you would expect.
                                The reason WSU only scored 11 2nd chance points is because they needed 3-4 consecutive offensive rebounds to get a single basket. GU had their hands on many of the 2nd,, 3rd & 4th consecutive offensive rebounds but WSU, to their credit, knocked it out of their hands or stole the ball. I mentioned the points off turnovers in an early response. In the first half, GU had 16 turnovers and WSU had 17 points of of those turnovers, more than half of their total points. In the second half GU had 10 additional turnovers and WSU only got 2 more points off of those turnovers for a total of 19 points.

If you combine the points WSU got off of turnovers and 2nd chance points off of offensive rebounds, this comes up to a total of 30 points or more staggeringly 53.5% of their total number of points in the entire game. Had GU had only an average game and had half as many turnovers and allowed half as many offensive rebounds, resulting in half of the number of points off turnovers (and 2nd chance points) this would have resulted (big supposition here) in 15 less points for the cougars for 41 points overall and not a very close game.

In addition, every offensive rebound and turnover is essentially a possession the Lady Zags did not get. If the Lady Zags got 27 more possessions (by cutting their turnovers in half and reducing WSU's offensive rebounds by half), given their shooting percentage last night, how many more points would they have scored?

Yes, I realize that there is not enough time in the game for 27 more GU possessions and the game certainly would have changed had GU not had all of the turnovers or permitted all of the offensive rebounds. The analysis above just shows what could have happened if GU simply plays an average game on turnovers and offensive rebounds.

Perhaps the biggest issue in the game that impacted WSU was the officiating. With all of the whistles, nobody had any chance to get into any kind of rhythm and I think this impacted WSU much more than GU. In reality, the only real foul trouble the zags had was their freshman (Jenn Wirth) who fouled out and Stockton with 4, while WSU ended the game with something like 5 players with 4 fouls each. If truth be told, IMO, several of the offensive fouls called against GU and for WSU were incorrect (wrong) which resulted in WSU players staying in the game when they should have fouled out. Hailey was the biggest benefactor but McClure and Brown should both also have fouled out.

GU reacted to the questionable officiating much better than WSU did and it allowed them to run their offensive and defensive sets with relative impunity while WSU had to back off on their intensity in the second half and it cost them.

ZagDad

Comment

Working...
                                X