• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CB4
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2009

2020-21 Scheduling

Zags will play UW and Arizona in the Kennel next year.

Zags will play three games at the Orlando Tournament (Field: Auburn/Belmont/Boise State/Michigan State/Saint Louis/Siena/Xavier).

I'm hoping we get a neutral site game and a home/home series against a Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big East.

I'm hoping we can see a game or series with SDSU. Perhaps one with Dayton, too.

Zags seem to be consistent in scheduling games with Texas teams, do we see a renewal of the A&M series, maybe games with Houston or Baylor?

After that, I hope we get no more than 6 buy games. I'd love to see a couple non-conference games (MWC/AAC/A10) in January and February as well, but doubtful.

Who do you hope/think/speculate the Zags will play next season?
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
    Zags will play UW and Arizona in the Kennel next year.

Zags will play three games at the Orlando Tournament (Field: Auburn/Belmont/Boise State/Michigan State/Saint Louis/Siena/Xavier).

I'm hoping we get a neutral site game and a home/home series against a Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big East.

I'm hoping we can see a game or series with SDSU. Perhaps one with Dayton, too.

Zags seem to be consistent in scheduling games with Texas teams, do we see a renewal of the A&M series, maybe games with Houston or Baylor?

After that, I hope we get no more than 6 buy games. I'd love to see a couple non-conference games (MWC/AAC/A10) in January and February as well, but doubtful.

Who do you hope/think/speculate the Zags will play next season?
    Teams that I'd like to see home/home series with would Villanova, Xavier, and Kansas. Although unlikely, those are teams that would be a challenge and not kill you if you lost. Perhaps Kentucky or Louisville as other teams I'd like to see. I agree on a SD State series as well. No way I see them playing Boise State if Rice is there.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If things go well with the virus between now and year end -- I would love to see the NCAA coordinate a tournament with the top 4-8 teams that would have been dancing in the tournament this year (early December timeframe).
      Last edited by Zagdawg; 03-19-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

First GREAT thread!

I'd like to see GU do a home and home with at least five of these schools: UCLA, ASU, CO, SDSU, UL, UM, TT, WVU, OU, UT, Baylor, TCU, A&M, UL, ND, UVA, FSU, IU, PSU, MD and/or UK.

GU will be awesome and it is too bad we can only play with one ball! (That is if Ayayi returns)

Can our freshman quickly adapt to D1 type defence and quickness...

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Not sure about Houston, CB. Only conjecture on my part (& someone feel free to correct me) but I'm guessing Few may have some issues with Sampson from his days at WSU.
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Marconi
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2011

I think San Diego St. is a natural fit for us just for the simple fact of proximity and would make a great home and home series for years to come. My only concern is they are not consistently good year in and year out. This year they had the benefit of some great transfers but their recruiting pipeline is pretty bare.

Comment

• strikenowhere
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Rothstein reporting neutral site vs. Texas Tech

Jon Rothstein
              @JonRothstein
              ·
              2m
              Sources: Texas Tech and Gonzaga will play a neutral site game in Phoenix on December 19th, 2020.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Next season the Zags will still be a year away from "re-starting" the Battle in Seattle, in the "new" Seattle Center Arena.

Things have changed with Gonzaga's program since the "Battle in Seattle" has been on sabbatical (i.e. Gonzaga is now a truly elite Men's Basketball program).

The format moving forward will stay the same vis a vis games with high profile opponents being semi "home and home". i.e. neutral/neutral. In the past some of Gonzaga's "return" games have been in neutral NBA/NHL arenas .... Boston for the UConn game, Chicago for the Illinois game, Phoenix for the Arizona game, Wichita (not an NBA/NHL arena) for the Kansas State game, Nashville (an NHL arena) for the Tennessee game.

As we move ahead, the "Battle in Seattle" will be a cornerstone for very, very high profile, OOC games.

Man, am I looking forward to it !!!
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• StatZag19
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • May 2019

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                  Sources: Texas Tech and Gonzaga will play a neutral site game in Phoenix on December 19th, 2020.
                  Obligatory $#@& Texas Tech
                  I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2012

- based only upon this years final net rankings (in parenthesis) next years orlando bracket would be.......

- zags (1) the one seed playing sienna (151), then the winner of xavier (47) and st. louis (49)
                    - msu (7) the two seed playing belmont (101), then the winner of auburn (27) and boise st (91).

- early possible wins over xavier, then msu or auburn would give early justification for our pre season number one ranking.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2012

- i'd like to see home/home series with ou, the ducks are going to be good pretty much year in and year out, and being on west coast, somewhat of a recruiting rival.
                      - i'd like to see home/home series with big east teams, rotate from butler, to xavier, to villinova. push come to shove 5 10 years from now and conference affiliations are again blown up, maybe these series will be a paving path to gonzaga being part of a new re organized big east.

Comment

• CB4
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2009

Another idea:

Zags should host their first exhibition game every year in the Kennel against the prior year's national champion of the Canadian university basketball league. Televise the game on ESPN/CBS Sports and Canadian national sports television, give the annual game a marketing name like the "CAN-AM BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP," and use it to get another game on national TV, and increase their recruiting reach to an increasingly fertile recruiting base (Canada/Ontario Province).

Problem is that this would be one of the toughest games of the year and likely the first match up new Zag teams would face. But the marketing potential in Canada would be excellent and, at the end of the day, it'd be an exhibition game that doesn't count for NET or other rankings.

The precedent is there, as the Zags played Olynyk's dad's school in an exhibition game the year after Kelly left.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Give em a call -- we are a "Large" opponent perennially

Dayton Basketball
                          @DaytonMBB
                          · 2h
                          Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

Please contact James Haring at [email protected] with interest

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                            Give em a call -- we are a "Large" opponent perennially

Dayton Basketball
                            @DaytonMBB
                            · 2h
                            Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

Please contact James Haring at [email protected] with interest
                            DO IT
                            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CCHoops
                              Redshirt
                              • Mar 2020

From Tennessee's Rivals site:

"Tennessee is deep in to talks with Gonzaga to put together a home-and-home series with the Zags as Rick Barnes remains committed to playing a demanding non-conference schedule. Barnes and Few have faced off three times in the last 5 years, all at neutral sites. The upcoming series is expected to take place in Knoxville and Spokane when finalized. The Vols already have a trip to Wisconsin on the docket in 2020-21, along with a home game against Cincinnati and another in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge, which could see Kansas return the trip Tennessee made to Allen Fieldhouse in January, with Kentucky already facing the Jayhawks in the Champions Classic and Tennessee appearing as a top 15 caliber team and the SEC's second most desirous opponent in most preseason rankings. The Vols will also play neutral site games against Maryland (@ Madison Square Garden), Memphis (@ Bridgestone Arena) and 3 games in a Charleston Classic field that includes Florida State, VCU, Houston, Oklahoma State, Seton Hall and Penn State."

Seems like adding Gonzaga to that slate would almost be too much but Barnes/Few clearly like playing each other. Do we think this could start in 2021-22 rather than this upcoming season?

Comment

Working...
                              X