• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott257
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

Mark Few

I don't post often and this is the first thread that I have ever started....but, this morning as I browse the posts on this board, I was struck by the number of people second guessing Mark Few, complaining about his decisions, and commenting negatively about some of his quotes.

I for one wouldn't be a Gonzaga fan if it were not for Mark Few. Or let me rephrase that, I wouldn't be a Gonzaga fan if it were not for his parents. I have the highest respect for his family and am happy that Mark has been so successful at Gonzaga. Having said that, I am also a basketball fan. I have followed the sport for years, probably not as closely as many of you that post routinely.

Regardless of my personal feelings, perhaps a bit of perspective is in order. Mark Few is doing better at this point in his career than John Wooden was able to do in his first 15 years as a coach. He is also doing better at this stage in his career than Coach K did. He has the respect of many of the great all time coaches. All of this and he coaches at a backwater school that most people wouldn't know about today if it were not for the success of the basketball program. I still get asked "where is Gonzaga?" when I am out down here in Texas wearing a Gonzaga cap or t-shirt. But even those that ask comment on how they like the basketball team. Dan Monson left this program in 1999 and most people at the time thought it was going to slide back into obscurity. It didn't, it is one of the top programs in the country year after year. Is that all Mark Few's doing? No, but he certainly deserves the lion's share of the credit.

Would I like to see the team do better? Yes, and I believe it will. I just would never want to see them do better by replacing Mark Few and going after someone that places winning above ethics and responsibility. There is too much of that today and it is ruining the game.
  • rijman
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
    Regardless of my personal feelings, perhaps a bit of perspective is in order. Mark Few is doing better at this point in his career than John Wooden was able to do in his first 15 years as a coach. He is also doing better at this stage in his career than Coach K did. He has the respect of many of the great all time coaches. All of this and he coaches at a backwater school that most people wouldn't know about today if it were not for the success of the basketball program. I still get asked "where is Gonzaga?" when I am out down here in Texas wearing a Gonzaga cap or t-shirt. But even those that ask comment on how they like the basketball team. Dan Monson left this program in 1999 and most people at the time thought it was going to slide back into obscurity. It didn't, it is one of the top programs in the country year after year. Is that all Mark Few's doing? No, but he certainly deserves the lion's share of the credit.

Would I like to see the team do better? Yes, and I believe it will. I just would never want to see them do better by replacing Mark Few and going after someone that places winning above ethics and responsibility. There is too much of that today and it is ruining the game.
    Agreed!
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• zag67
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Well stated. I would be a zag even if they were winning only a few games a year. Back in the late sixties and early seventies we were lucky to be above 50 percent and we were not even playing very many difficult teams. Thank you Mark Few for the program that you have brought us. Keep it up.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Some are under the impression that GU must lure Roy Williams away from UNC or sell their souls like Kentucky and get Coach Cal.... It's the only way...

For me... Just keep having winning seasons.
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• zag944
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I think the majority of people here love that Mark Few is our coach.

That said, I dont have any problem with people questioning his decisions or whatever on a messageboard. Most of it is done in a respectful enough manner. If it isnt there is an ignore button.

Comment

• djdallaszag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            Some are under the impression that GU must lure Roy Williams away from UNC or sell their souls like Kentucky and get Coach Cal.... It's the only way...

For me... Just keep having winning seasons.
            and keep recruiting good kids that represent the university well. When the program first began to have success, I worried that we would sacrifice in this area in order to take it to the next level.

I never want to hear about one of our student athletes being arrested for promoting prostitution.

Comment

• 04ZagFan
              Banned
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by zag944 View Post
              I think the majority of people here love that Mark Few is our coach.

That said, I dont have any problem with people questioning his decisions or whatever on a messageboard. Most of it is done in a respectful enough manner. If it isnt there is an ignore button.
              yup

Comment

• raise the zag
                Zag for Life
                • May 2011

I sincerely apologize if fellow posters feel my intent was to HAMMER Coach Few. It was not.

If anything, it was more asking a question about Gary Bell's all-around game based off a somewhat intriguing quote via Coach Few.

Sometimes I feel if his name is even mentioned on this board, poster stop reading and immediately assume the post is 'negative' and calling for someone's head.

I feel intent and perception are a fine line on forums.

I completely agree with the post above, yet I also believe its in our right as a Gonzaga fan base to discuss if we have questions regarding a specific quote, comment, decision, etc.

No one, including myself, ever wants Coach Few to leave. We are lucky to have him and the results speak for themselves, yet I recently took a lot of abuse myself for starting a thread following a Coach Few interview. Is that any better from a human nature perspective? Not especially, no.

This board is designed to discuss Gonzaga hoops and Coach Few is within that realm.

I feel if you read the intent behind my post and my subsequent responses, you will be open to the idea of responding instead of perceiving in a negative light.

Again, my apologies if I have offended you, Coach Few, or GU hoops. I'm actually a pretty reasonable person and enjoy discussing sports, especially Zags.

99.9% of the time I live by the mantra, "In Few We Trust". I believe it, I actually do, yet I only posed a simply question and then expanded into thoughts surrounding Gary Bell as a player. Please, no more unnecessary attacks and no reason to put me on the 'ignore list'. If you don't believe me, check my previous posts.

Comment

• 04ZagFan
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                  I sincerely apologize if fellow posters feel my intent was to HAMMER Coach Few. It was not.

If anything, it was more asking a question about Gary Bell's all-around game based off a somewhat intriguing quote via Coach Few.

Sometimes I feel if his name is even mentioned on this board, poster stop reading and immediately assume the post is 'negative' and calling for someone's head.

I feel intent and perception are a fine line on forums.

I completely agree with the post above, yet I also believe its in our right as a Gonzaga fan base to discuss if we have questions regarding a specific quote, comment, decision, etc.

No one, including myself, ever wants Coach Few to leave. We are lucky to have him and the results speak for themselves, yet I recently took a lot of abuse myself for starting a thread following a Coach Few interview. Is that any better from a human nature perspective? Not especially, no.

This board is designed to discuss Gonzaga hoops and Coach Few is within that realm.

I feel if you read the intent behind my post and my subsequent responses, you will be open to the idea of responding instead of perceiving in a negative light.

Again, my apologies if I have offended you, Coach Few, or GU hoops. I'm actually a pretty reasonable person and enjoy discussing sports, especially Zags.

99.9% of the time I live by the mantra, "In Few We Trust". I believe it, I actually do, yet I only posed a simply question and then expanded into thoughts surrounding Gary Bell as a player. Please, no more unnecessary attacks and no reason to put me on the 'ignore list'. If you don't believe me, check my previous posts.
                  This is exactly how I feel... There isn't a 100% perfect program.. These forums are for discussions, debates, ect. and as long as they aren't mean spirited, I don't see anything wrong with discussing things we feel need work, or whatever it is.. I have also raised question about things and I've also received the "ignored" comments, attacks, and private messages from mods telling me I'm 14 years old. Something you just have to deal with, I guess.... But make no mistake about it, you are 100% free to say how you feel, within reason of course.

Comment

• Zaglaw
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

+1

I'm just glad no one watches me do my job day in and day out and then comments on a message board!

Comment

• raise the zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Zaglaw View Post
                      +1

I'm just glad no one watches me do my job day in and day out and then comments on a message board!
                      You must sign the front of the check & not the back in your line of work, b/c if not, there are always people evaluating/commenting/discussing your work and at the very least, someone always has an opinion -- whether its a co-worker, subordinate, supervisor, client, the competition, friend, etc. Nature of the beast within a capitalistic society.

Comment

• scott257
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                        Please know that I wasn't trying to single out anyone. I was just trying to help add some perspective after two close games that might have gone our way if only.....

Anyway, those stories about the team helping the kids at the Ronald McDonald House, and the summer camp they help with, and the many other ways they give back to the community help set Gonzaga head and shoulders above many programs (at least in my book). So, even when I think Mark has made some mistakes, I try to remember how much is really good about this team, and I look forward to a good win tonight.

Comment

• raise the zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2011

Please know that I wasn't trying to single out anyone. I was just trying to help add some perspective after two close games that might have gone our way if only.....

Anyway, those stories about the team helping the kids at the Ronald McDonald House, and the summer camp they help with, and the many other ways they give back to the community help set Gonzaga head and shoulders above many programs (at least in my book). So, even when I think Mark has made some mistakes, I try to remember how much is really good about this team, and I look forward to a good win tonight.
                          Excellent post, scott. It is about perspective -- life is too short to worry about the small things, especially a game. While it works both ways, I sincerely appreciate your reminder and insight. A much-needed thread amongst many unnecessary ones. Thanks again and all the best. Man I hope the Zags can win tonight --

Comment

• zag buddy
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2007

I'm really glad he is our coach and I will do everything I can to make him a better coach.

Comment

• scott257
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2009

and you have to know, I love reading the posts here because as much as I try, my wife, dogs, and the population at large around Pilot Point, Texas, are just not following Gonzaga like most folks posting here are.

Comment

Working...
                              X