• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bouldin4Prez
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    By the way, this is my last post in this thread. I'm so despondent by the fact that so many posters that I like in the bball forum are so intolerant of divergent opinion really makes me think what kind of a future there will be for my young girls. If they refuse to think, act, speak and vote a certain way will they be branded with a scarlet letter "C"? Voltaire would be rolling over in his grave. sigh
    You're also the same guy that said that he didn't want female GU students allowed into games because they don't cheer loud enough. I'm very concerned of the future there will be for your young girls as well. I agree, however, that Shapiro should be allowed to speak even though I don't necessarily agree with most he says.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
      You're also the same guy that said that he didn't want female GU students allowed into games because they don't cheer loud enough. I'm very concerned of the future there will be for your young girls as well. I agree, however, that Shapiro should be allowed to speak even though I don't necessarily agree with most he says.
      I know i said that I was done with this thread,and I've spewed a lot of nonsense on these boards over the years, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't me. Can you provide a link to me posting that? Thanks

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2009

By the way, this is my last post in this thread. I'm so despondent by the fact that so many posters that I like in the bball forum are so intolerant of divergent opinion really makes me think what kind of a future there will be for my young girls. If they refuse to think, act, speak and vote a certain way will they be branded with a scarlet letter "C"? Voltaire would be rolling over in his grave. sigh
        I'm intolerant of hate speech, as well as hateful speech and rhetoric which not a protected right. I have no problem with a conservative speaker at Gonzaga, I have a problem with Gonzaga giving speakers who have a history of hate filled diatribes a platform, regardless of their political leanings.

No, I would not be okay with David Duke being given a platform at Gonzaga either.

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
          I'm intolerant of hate speech, as well as hateful speech and rhetoric which not a protected right. I have no problem with a conservative speaker at Gonzaga, I have a problem with Gonzaga giving speakers who have a history of hate filled diatribes a platform, regardless of their political leanings.

No, I would not be okay with David Duke being given a platform at Gonzaga either.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2009

Hate speech that promotes or incites violence is not a protected right. Hate speech that is more general in tone and cannot be directly linked with violence is protected, I suppose I could have been more clear with my sentence structure. But ultimately you are splitting hairs.

Neither the protected or not-protected versions of hate speech should be promoted by or encouraged by Gonzaga University.

Anyway, this discussion is getting us nowhere, back to Basketball where we can mostly all agree.

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
              This would not have happened under Robert Spitzer's presidency.
              In 2000 and 2001, Spitzer barred a Planned Parenthood speaker and an on-campus performance of “The Vagina Monologues,” an all-woman play made up of monologues about sex, masturbation and lesbianism.

Critics said the decisions undercut academic freedom. Spitzer said a Catholic university could not appear to endorse ideas that challenge church opposition to abortion, birth control and homosexuality.

After those controversies, the university adopted a policy governing outside speakers. Barred are those who are disruptive, promote a message contrary to the school’s Catholic teachings or might create a hostile learning environment.

SOURCE: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...i-gay-speaker/
              Would Spitzer have an issue with a faculty member whose lifestyle challenged church opposition to homosexuality ?

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zagceo
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Dr. Camille Paglia is a well-known American intellectual and social critic. She has been a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylva...

starts out a little slow but builds to nice finish

2 professors that should be on the college circuit imo

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

My answers in red. Gotta admit, I'm pretty disappointed in your post. I think I'll just stick to basketball. Sigh

A) Not comparing him to Hitler, just pointing out that based on the logic that ANYONE should be heard... Hitler comes to mind as someone who should NEVER have a platform but would. Fine... replace him with Stalin... both were cool with genocide/mass displacement of people (like this guy is)... it was pointing out the flawed logic of anyone should have a platform.

B) Trust me... there are many hypocrites on this board that would pull money and have serious issues if someone on the extreme left was invited to speak at GU. I've seen it in the past... history tells me I am quite right about that.

c) Not telling anyone who they can or want to listen to... but be perfectly honest with yourself... inviting someone who is known to be very controversial and goes against much of the teachings of the Church and the university isn't about anything other than being provocative. I'd say the same thing if it was a liberal group doing the same thing. It is a game of gotcha instead of being intellectually honest.

I'm done with this thread.
                  "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

I have no idea what hate speech is …..and I doubt anyone else does.....we used to listen to Hitler and Tokyo Rose on short wave radios during WW11.....I respect the UN model that apparently allows all voices to be heard.....listening is not agreeing....no way this guys will incite a riot...

One man's terrorist is the other man's freedom fighter....I find heretics to be interesting...the church's don't..

At WSU the Young Republicans are putting up a Trump Wall.....that is fine with me....that is speech....

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                      Would Spitzer have an issue with a faculty member whose lifestyle challenged church opposition to homosexuality ?

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/arts...d281e025f.html
                      Point of order.

Strictly speaking, the church is not opposed to homosexuality.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Comment

• webspinnre
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Feel like we're back in the OCC...
                        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• zagfan24
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

I miss the OCC. I actually do. It may have been 2 separate echo chambers, but I thought the discourse was actually, almost always, respectful...if not productive.

This issue is a lot more complex than many on both sides make it out to be. I would guess most people agree that there is a line that can't be crossed in terms of who speaks on a college campus. While hosting a speaker is certainly not tacit endorsement of his or her message, it is also the private university's choice (since, you know, Citizens United suggests that even for-profit corporations are people endowed with free speech) who to be associated with. So if a speaker was calling for genocide, expressing openly racist views, etc....and I could be wrong here...but I'm guessing most would not want that speaker on Gonzaga's campus. Where that line exists is obviously quite subjective. And there are certainly some who feel that no matter what the message is they want it heard. It is my opinion that many such people may not have felt the pain of social ostracism, prejudice, or discrimination...but that's just my guess.

I happen to believe that the critique of safe space/snowflake/PC culture is significantly overblown, but I'll also admit that some on the left have are too quick to shut down when faced with differences in opinion. However, I also strongly believe that provocateurs have forced the hand on this issue. There are people on both sides who say outrageous things to get clicks, views, and perhaps most of all IN ORDER to be banned. It's great PR when you become a pariah to one side and a martyr to the other.

I'm sure this thread will be closed soon, but appreciate all sharing their opinions.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                            I miss the OCC. I actually do. It may have been 2 separate echo chambers, but I thought the discourse was actually, almost always, respectful...if not productive.

This issue is a lot more complex than many on both sides make it out to be. I would guess most people agree that there is a line that can't be crossed in terms of who speaks on a college campus. While hosting a speaker is certainly not tacit endorsement of his or her message, it is also the private university's choice (since, you know, Citizens United suggests that even for-profit corporations are people endowed with free speech) who to be associated with. So if a speaker was calling for genocide, expressing openly racist views, etc....and I could be wrong here...but I'm guessing most would not want that speaker on Gonzaga's campus. Where that line exists is obviously quite subjective. And there are certainly some who feel that no matter what the message is they want it heard. It is my opinion that many such people may not have felt the pain of social ostracism, prejudice, or discrimination...but that's just my guess.

I happen to believe that the critique of safe space/snowflake/PC culture is significantly overblown, but I'll also admit that some on the left have are too quick to shut down when faced with differences in opinion. However, I also strongly believe that provocateurs have forced the hand on this issue. There are people on both sides who say outrageous things to get clicks, views, and perhaps most of all IN ORDER to be banned. It's great PR when you become a pariah to one side and a martyr to the other.

I'm sure this thread will be closed soon, but appreciate all sharing their opinions.

Agree 100% of everything you said.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                              Feel like we're back in the OCC...
                              I don't miss it.

Comment

Working...
                              X