• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Comments from Mike Roth re: Hanging jersey numbers in the rafters

From Jim Meehan: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...h-carolinas-h/

“Rian Oliver, our head of compliance, met with their compliance folks. We’ve talked about retiring jerseys and we saw how they do those things.”

North Carolina displays eight retired jerseys high in light-blue-colored rafters inside the Smith Center.

Roughly 40 more players numbers are recognized (not retired) in three rows below the retired jerseys.

“Their retired jerseys are national players of the year,” Roth said. “The rest of the numbers are at least two-time All-Americans. There are levels like that. In the NBA, you can wear No. 16 of No. 18. In college basketball, you can’t do that, so you have to be careful with how many numbers you retire.

“We’ll talk about it and figure it out, whether it’s WCC player of the year or multiple time All-WCC. Hopefully, in the near future, you’ll see something from us.”
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

As I have stated on several occasions in here,
    I would like to see AMMO up there.
    The two presently hanging didn't achieve NCAA player of the year .
    Let's get it up while he is alive, not wait 60 more years.

Comment

• zagbeliever
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
      Totally agree.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
        Kennel Club
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
        I'm sure he will be. I'd like to see Ronny and Pzremyslaw too.

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

Remember, there are only 36 total jerseys that can ever be retired.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            Remember, there are only 36 total jerseys that can ever be retired.

Is that what they were talking about it when they were comparing it to NBA jerseys in the article? I didn't quite follow. Are there not 101 numbers available? How does that work?

eta: Ne'r mind. I googled it.

eta: Also, even if we could only retire one jersey it should be Ronny Turiaf's. He's the most Zagginest Zag who ever Zagged.
            Last edited by Grand Valley Zag; 12-16-2018, 12:08 PM. Reason: eta

Comment

• 23dpg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I like the North Carolina model. Retire very few but honor more. I’d love to see a few jerseys honored by hanging in the Mac without having to officially retire them.
              The next two jerseys to be considered for retirement are Ammo and Vandersloot.

I believe the Boston Celtics have retired so many jerseys they have duplicate numbers retired.
              Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2012

No number above 59 can be worn, so that officials can signal which player a foul is called on with just two hands. This leaves 0, 00, and 1 thru 59, for a total of 61. Zero is signed by a closed fist. Hope this helps.

Comment

• 23dpg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                  No number above 59 can be worn, so that officials can signal which player a foul is called on with just two hands. This leaves 0, 00, and 1 thru 59, for a total of 61. Zero is signed by a closed fist. Hope this helps.
                  Isn’t it 55? That would make it a base 6 equation making Kitz’ number more accurate.
                  Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
                    Kennel Club
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                    Isn’t it 55? That would make it a base 6 equation making Kitz’ number more accurate.
                    The article I read said that the digits 6-9 cannot be used. That would make it 37 including 00

Comment

• 23dpg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                      The article I read said that the digits 6-9 cannot be used. That would make it 37 including 00
                      Correct. The 55 was in reference to the highest number allowed. Kitz wrote 36 as the total jersey numbers. 00 would indeed boost it to 37.
                      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

17 for Loscy and Hondo, the GREATEST EVER.

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                        I like the North Carolina model. Retire very few but honor more. I’d love to see a few jerseys honored by hanging in the Mac without having to officially retire them.
                        The next two jerseys to be considered for retirement are Ammo and Vandersloot.

I believe the Boston Celtics have retired so many jerseys they have duplicate numbers retired.

Comment

• Norcalzag
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Nov 2007

As Gonzaga's only college player of the year, Adam Morrison seems like the best candidate to have his men's basketball jersey number retired. First team All-Americans who were also academic All-Americans would seem to me to be automatics for the honor of having their jerseys hung in the rafters of the Kennel: Dan Dickau, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss. From the women's side, I'd definitely favor Courtney Vandersloot for recognition. From way back, maybe Jerry Vermillion's No. 36? Who else?

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                            Yeah, I forgot to count the 00

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Norcalzag View Post
                              As Gonzaga's only college player of the year, Adam Morrison seems like the best candidate to have his men's basketball jersey number retired. First team All-Americans who were also academic All-Americans would seem to me to be automatics for the honor of having their jerseys hung in the rafters of the Kennel: Dan Dickau, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss. From the women's side, I'd definitely favor Courtney Vandersloot for recognition. From way back, maybe Jerry Vermillion's No. 36? Who else?
                              The winningest player in the history of Division I Men’s basketball might make the short list of players for consideration. I might even consider Karnowski’s full career body of work to exceed that of Kelly Olynyk (one year as a starter), Dan Dickau (two years in the program), or Nigel Williams Goss (one season in a Zag uniform).

I’ve always thought that Jeff Brown should have been considered for the honor as well.
                              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                              X