Thread: Any Student Body Presidents?

Default Any Student Body Presidents?

Alright Zagnation -

I work in the Student Life Office this year, and one of my projects has been compiling a list of every student body president since the ASGU was started in 1920.

There will be a very special end result to this list in the new student center (I can't divulge too much).

So, are there any former student body presidents out there from either ASGU or GSBA??? I'd love to hear your stories.

--tobizag

GU Class of '07

I doubt this will be of much help, but I'm fairly certain that Steve Deklotz was GSBA president in 91-92. He was my roommate freshman year. Weird bit of trivia, we share a birthday. Same year, same day.

Steve was a good guy. Didn't stay in touch over the years, but I'm pretty sure he ended up back in Portland, OR.

Default Huh

That's wierd--I knew Steve DeKlotz but never knew you F1d.

Scott O'Halloran was GSBA president in 1991-1992 for awhile, but then resigned or something as I recall to do a semester in D.C. or something like that.

Wasn't it Stephen Fofanoff in 1992-1993? I believe 1993-1994 was Corey Fong as well. Or Trevor Werttemberger. I cannot remember which. All those GSBA folks kind of hung out together and I could never remember who was what, other than the fact that my former roommate Bryan Webinger was the coffeehouse dork from about 1992-1995. Its amazing to think he's probably a Major in the Army by now. I also seem to recall Tom Lopach being in the mix around 1995 or 1996.

Steve was a little more of a social butterfly than me I was always running, or working or whatever. Not enough partying and socializing, but that has been well established. And, my recollection could be wrong, although Steve was a GSBA participant his entire time at GU.

Corey Fong, pretty sure I was in ROTC with him. (I could be mistaken, early onset alzheimer's. Was Corey Asian and small in stature and in ROTC?)

Scott O'Halloran is a familiar name.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Steve was a little more of a social butterfly than me And, my recollection could be wrong, although Steve was a GSBA participant his entire time at GU.

Corey Fong, pretty sure I was in ROTC with him. (I could be mistaken, early onset alzheimer's. Was Corey Asian and small in stature and in ROTC?)

Scott O'Halloran is a familiar name.
    Nope. Despite the name suggesting otherwise, Corey Fong was a read headed, fair skinned Irish looking kid. A true GSBA junkie. He has since moved on and has been in politics in North Dakota for some time, and this past year won his first statewide election and is the North Dakota State Tax Commissioner. His web info is here:

http://nd.gov/tax/

and here

http://www.nd.gov/tax/abouttax/staff...biography.html

Scott O'Halloran is now an attorney in Tacoma--saw him in court just this morning. He went to Notre Dame law school after GU and we run into each other now and then.

http://www.wkg.com/attorneys.cfm?id=300

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    other than the fact that my former roommate Bryan Webinger was the coffeehouse dork from about 1992-1995. Its amazing to think he's probably a Major in the Army by now.
    I'll second that. A strong second.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

A pictures worth a thousand words. I did know Scott. He lived in Desmet, I think on my same floor, freshman year. Dang, he looks exactly the same. Hasn't aged a bit. Wish I could say the same.

I remember playing pick up basketball with him and ultimate frisbee on the field where the Foley library is now located.

Ha! After I posted I thought I meet be wrong about Corey Fong. I think my ROTC buddies name was Peter Tran, but I wouldn't take a polygraph.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    A pictures worth a thousand words. I did know Scott. He lived in Desmet, I think on my same floor, freshman year. Dang, he looks exactly the same. Hasn't aged a bit. Wish I could say the same.
    I'll let him know that next time I have a beer with him. You know he also spoke at our graduation--I don't remember much of what he said but I remember he was up their on the podium. It was hard to listen to anyone speaking that morning with the female next to me puking every 15 minutes into a brown paper bag and my head spinning all morning.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Actually had forgotten that. Be sure to say hello for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    It was hard to listen to anyone speaking that morning with the female next to me puking every 15 minutes into a brown paper bag and my head spinning all morning.
    Hmm... sounds exactly like my experience at graduation. It's probably some sort of unspoken tradition, eh?

Sorry, no info to provide. Just had to comment.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

I don't think Tom was ever president, although he was heavily involved in GSBA. He was working for Sen. Ted Kennedy last I heard..head of one of his committees...

On second thought..maybe he was president our senior year 95-96? Heck, I don't remember...which is par for the course...
    Last edited by pdxzagfan; 03-05-2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: second thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by tobizag View Post
    So, are there any former student body presidents out there from either ASGU or GSBA??? I'd love to hear your stories.

--tobizag

Sean Long, I believe was our class president of 1991-92. Does that count?

Default John Keegan

attorney, author, was GU ASB prex in the mid to late '60's. GPrep asb prex, too. and a great guy.

He then went on to become prex of the Harvard law school before entering law practice in Seattle. Then became an author w/3-4 books in his resume'.

see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search

Default Lost a few Brain Cells since then

I was on GSBA Exec council my Senior Year (96) and in the senate the couple of years before.

Tom Lopach was the Student Life Pres 94-95, same year as Weiss was president. I can't even remember who was the president that I worked with, dang, too many brain cells down the drain and I don't have a Spires to look at while in Iraq. His first name was Mark. Corey Fong was 93-94, Trevor W. was his activities VP.

Last I heard Web was still in, but I can't find him on the Army Knowledge Online whitepages, and that is pretty accurate. He might be out now.

Default Finding history

Have you tried going to the Yearbook folks I'm sure they have back issues with the info you need?

Default Student Body (ASGU) Presidents

John Battalagia in 62-63; John Villaume in 63-64, John Keegan in 64-65, Dan Ukishima in 65-66; Mike Cohen in 66-67. Check the old SPIRES (yearbook) for details.

O'Hal was president in '91-92. I believe Jason Saldana was '92-93. Sean Long was a VP or 'class' pres. Don't believe Deklotz was ever a GSBA president, but probably 'class' president.

I keep in touch with all those guys still today.

Corey Fong was from my HS in Helena. Is he still in ND?

Long live DeSmet hall!

Hey all, I thought I could help as I was a VP for GSBA with Tom Lopach.

Presidents
    1993-94 Cory Fong
    1994-95 Stefan Weitz
    1995-96 Mark Stackle
    1996-97 Jace Wilde*

* I think that's his name. He might have been the president in 97-98 instead - or possibly both years.

I hope this helps.

229 Jailhouse Lawyer, Whats even scarier is that I can retire in a few years and you are a Lawyer! By the way have you taken any joyrides in trucks lately?
    Last edited by btweb; 03-13-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo

Was on GSBA '02-'03. One of the best decisions I ever made, wish I had gotten involved earlier.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama