Thread: Kudos to Kuso

Default Kudos to Kuso

I don't think Kuso has been getting the love he deserves for how he has stepped up in the last few games. I used to be afraid every time he touched the ball. I used to cringe at every rebound (for the inevitable foul). But I thought his game is at a new level and has made a big difference. To wit: Last night's 8 rebounds, and 11 rebounds on Saturday. Thank you Abdullah and keep it up!

hondo Guest

Default Kuso

Just think how he is likely to play next season after a year in the system and a summer to work on the kinks. I absolutely love this guy.

Default Kuso, absolutely!

I've been a fearless Kuso apologist all along. Not without winces and much ribbing, mind you. But his heart always seemed true, his intentions always there - even when the decision making wasn't. The individual coaching Kuso is receiving is really paying dividends.

Viva Kuso!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default Kuso Love

Bump Bump Bump

Exclamation

O man, that hesitation move along with Pargo's monster truck throwdown make me a believer of GU basketball agin...Kuso is very underrated and deserves a lot of love for all of the hard work he puts into GU basketball

Default Kuso: '07-'08

I was also thinking about Kuso's potential for next year. He's improved hugely from the season's beginning. Yes, an off-season's worth of development, and who knows how good he might be!

Really excited about AK.

:]

I saw Kuso at City Hall about a week ago. He was probably in there paying a utility bill, or something. I wish I could have figured out who he was quickly enough to say "hi" as he seems like a great young guy. He certainly is "tall."

I really do think the the GU coaches have a special gift in recognizing a blend of raw talent with character. Well, Josh's character can be questioned at the moment, but the talent is there, and I'm still hopeful of Redemption. He'll be an awesome player if he really accepts the change he needs. Gonzaga University should be a good place to experience Redemption.

Back to Kuso - he could be totally awesome next year.

Kuso has changed things!! Way 2 go, Kuso.

RebornZag Guest

Default Kuso the Gladiator

Kuso has gotten a lot of love this year I think. He's just been up and down so much, and struggled greatly on the offensive end. He's had it all year on defense and rebounding. The Cheney incident has forced him into a new role, and OMG has he handled in so well (like so many others). Kuso has really stood up to the challenge in a huge way. He's now registered two games in a row of 9 pts and 10 boards. The points should be up in double figures but he still misses to many easy shots. However, we're soon to be seeing double figure scoring from Kuso. 11-13 pts, and that is plenty.

One of the plays of the game was when Kuso missed that dunk and HUSTLED back on defense and tipped the ball away from the guy he was guarding. Kuso was falling down as he tipped the ball backwards to Drav who passed it up court for a basket. The hustle play of the game.....THAT'S KUSO THE GLADIATOR. The unselfish-team focused play of Kuso and Pendo, to me, are the heart and soul of this Zag team. It spreads like wild fire, and NOW everyone seems to have found the FIRE INSIDE again. The circle is complete. We are back to the beginning of the year.....FUEGO was what I called the identity of this team.....THE FIRE INSIDE............

Default Kuso the Gladiator

<<RebornZag wrote: The unselfish-team focused play of Kuso and Pendo, to me, are the heart and soul of this Zag team. >>

excellent post. thanks.

The only thing I would add is that with the addition of minutes, effort, fluidity and teamwork from Micah Downs, this picture is complete. The moment Downs started covering Kuso's back on the boards, Kuso stopped fouling out. Same with Pendo.

Before Micah, they had to try and block, then hold, scratch and ultimately swipe and foul. Perhaps trying to make up for whatever Josh or Sean couldn't get done, I'm not sure.

But the aggressive fouling by both was pretty much constant. Hell Pendo would have three fouls in five minutes at times. ANd Kuso didn't seem able to jump without getting called. I don't think either has fouled out since.

this has also reduced the pressure on JP and DR, who are driving and dishing and keeping the bad guys on their toes. The chemistry is just something to behold. everyone, suddenly, is a threat. Any time.

What happened ? What was the missing link ?

Micah, imo.

I hadn't thought of that before, but I think you have it right. Good post!

Default Kuso has it figured out

In an interview earlier this year, Kuso said he's been trying to figure out his role on this team. I think he's figured it out. His job is to get rebounds and block shots. The team doesn't need his offense! Any points he gets will come from putbacks and maybe points off a move when he has deep in the paint position.

Of all the places to find ballplayers, I ran into Kuso and Bouldin at a poetry reading on the GU campus last Thursday night. Looks like the infusion of culture did them well, considering the breakout games since. And they were gracious about my girlfiend and I wanting a picture with them too. Class acts, on and off the court.

Default Hey Zag84

Exactly, but I would add to "putbacks" that incredible breakaway dunk he can sometimes make because he is athletic and gets back on offense every once in a while.

Default Kuso

really is on a huge trajectory. I can't believe his progress. He is fouling less, turning it over less, diving after balls, running the court. Good grief he really does play with his heart.

The guy looked like a clown most of the season, save the first half against Duke when we got a glimpse of what he might someday be able to do. I actually think he is another inspiration. Absolutely love his intensity. Let's hope that the trajectory is real. And that when the compeitition stiffens, he is up to it.

It is coming down to SCU and Gonzaga, despite what everyone else says. I can't believe SCU will drop another one in the semis. And the final will be a beauty. The Zags should have the edge in the rubber match, because I don't think those guys can shoot the three ball like that again. But on the other hand, we haven't had a bad shooting night for quite some time, and as we all know, that happens against DD teams. It's going to be high noon, only it will be high midnight EST.

Sili

This video of Greg Heister's interview has been posted here before, but I wanted an excuse to look at it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-zic6_7sc

I find myself grinning all the way through the thing. Kuso's just such a neat guy. It's neat to see him having fun and success.

These kids come here to play and they leave a piece of themselves in our hearts. It seems, when they leave, they take a bit of us with them as well, and all of us are better for it.

The video, by the way, was posted by a member of the GU Board who really does a great job keeping us up-to-date on YouTube. Thanks, Zagphish!

Default Kuso

I sure hope David P. is regularly washing his socks. The team needs a happy and ready to play Kuso if they're gonna be successful in the coming games.