Thread: Denison has no business as co-POY

imo, denison has no business as co-poy. Yes, he lead his team, but let's be real and look at his numbers...
    "Denison was a key player in the Broncos' run at the WCC regular season title, averaging 11.8 points per game and ranking third in the conference in rebounding with 7.6 boards per game during league play. Denison is the WCC's most efficient scorer, hitting a league-leading 59.8 percent of his field goals overall and 64.1 percent (59-for-92) during the conference season. "

11.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg? Doesn't sound like POY numbers to me... JH was 15.5 and 7.7 respectively, how does this guy get co-poy!?

Trivia: Dennison is from Nelson, BC which is closer to us than Raivio's home town. Congrats to both.

interesting points shawn...I agree.

GU Class of '07

Trivia: Dennison is from Nelson, BC which is closer to us than Raivio's home town.
    and?

IIRC, each coach nominates one of his own guys, then is not allowed to vote for him. Often times, the coach nominates a senior (Few nominated Ronny over Adam two years ago). So without seeing an actual ballot, the vote could have been 4-4, 3-3-2, 3-3-1-1, 2-2-1-1-1-1, whatever. I would imagine that a vote for Denison in this case is in fact a vote for Santa Clara, period. Either to congratulate the team on a good year, or as an affront to GU Nation. (Don't forget Derek made a public statement earlier in the year that it was his goal to win WCC POY ... that statement could have ruffled a few feathers).

Nobody really stood out this year, IMO. Derek could have won this outright, but just didn't get the votes.
    So many brackets, so little time.

Well B-shawn, I guess enough coaches thought differently and decided that his accomplishments and contributions (trackable by stats or not) were good enough to merit the POY award.

Personally, I'm glad DR got at least a share of it. After that, I couldn't care less if he won it outright or it was split between 15 other players...
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Default RE:

I must say that I am really surprised that Few and Raivio didn't get both awards outright. Not that I care, but these two awards seem to always go to the head coach of the regular season championship team, and to a player that's an upperclassman on that team. That's why I was predicting that if SCU won the title, Denison would get it...regardless of his numbers.

I think DR deserved to get it outright.. people were saying before the vote that it usually goes to the senior leader on the top team in the league. Well, after Monday night we proved to be the top team and Derek is our top player. Plus, his stats are very impressive this year.. and IMO better than Denison's.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I must say that I am really surprised that Few and Raivio didn't get both awards outright. Not that I care, but these two awards seem to always go to the head coach of the regular season championship team, and to a player that's an upperclassman on that team. That's why I was predicting that if SCU won the title, Denison would get it...regardless of his numbers.
    I think that there's a very strong likelihood that the conference coaches voted before yesterday's games, and a good possibly that they voted before Saturday's games.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

clearly not POY type numbers.

Definitely agree with angelo, these had to have been voted on earlier. Not a chance they were done this morning before the conference call.

Well if the coaches are going to put so much emphasis on voting for the player whose team won the conference championship (which is the only way you would pick Denison over Raivio), they should do the voting once the season is over.

Default Hmm

Personally I think Few is a good coach but if one was so inclined one could make a very convincing argument against Few for coy on the talent disparity alone. Honestly over the last few years I have thought there have been several coaches who have been more deserving of the award due to the results they were able to squeeze from their meager talent.

As far as these type of individual awards go, I'm all for spreading it around. We all know that GU is the class of the WCC, but why not acknowledge quality effort from other teams as well? Despite not finishing first and despite the fact that it's only supposed to be for one year, Davey deserves the award for a long career in the WCC. The conference should acknowledge that. I think Few has done one of his best coaching jobs with this squad, but he's won the award so many times in the row, it's time to give it to someone else. Few knows what kind of job he did and his players know, too, as well as anyone with eyes who's watched this team play. He should be proud of what he's done. Still, Davey deserves it this year.

I'm glad Raivio got part of the WCC POY, because he deserved it. I also agree that Dennison didn't really put up significant #s for this kind of award. I feel a little stronger about this because it's not like Raivio has won the award before or will have the chance to win it again. Oh well. As long as he got part of it, who cares, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotin View Post
    Personally I think Few is a good coach but if one was so inclined one could make a very convincing argument against Few for coy on the talent disparity alone. Honestly over the last few years I have thought there have been several coaches who have been more deserving of the award due to the results they were able to squeeze from their meager talent.
    I would respectfully disagree. A major part of the college coaching game is recruiting. Coach Few built a legacy that allows him to recruit higher level players, it wasn't handed to him. All the other coaches are in the same circumstance, that is if they want to be successful, they need to recruit and develop talented players that fit into their system. I won't hazard specific percentages, but recruiting well IS a significant factor in successfully coaching a college basketball team.

I believe Nelson, BC is closer...about a 3 hour drive - where Roxanne was filmed if I recall correctly