Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arny's

Default Ray, a good friend, is wrong about who owns

the land and building.

As stated above, John Stockton owns it, along with the buildings that now house the Pita Pit, Starbucks & the bagel shop, and David's Pizza.

Default Arny's update

The lady who owned the business and the lease on Arny's has walked away. this means its for lease, as is.

The advantage is a qualified person couldl potentially get in there for a lot less than it would take to buy an existing, running business, then lease the building.

The disadvantages might be the lady left with or sold off much of the equipment etc., perhaps the recipes, like for the stromboli & double whammy (or rights to the names, if that is the case) with her.

I don't know the answers, or just how much it would take to ramp the business back up.

I did ask an excellent source if there were any plans to scrape the site for parking. The answer was no, there are no such plans at this time.

The hope is for a new operator to take over Arny's, or remodel it and do whatever that person might have in mind at that location to make a go of it.

The property is managed by Greg Byrd of Byrd Real Estate Group, spokane.

Default Arny's will reopen as Wollfy's

I saw the sign this week. Construction workers are busy remodeling the exterior and I would presume, the inside as well. the arny's signs are gone.

Wolffy's was a 3-4 store chain that I thought had disappeared from the spokane scene a few years ago.

I am not sure if there is another outlet besides this one, but there used to be Wolffy's outlets near Francis and Wall on the North side (in front of the Safeway store), and across the street from the Longhorn on Argonne in the valley (inside an old A & W rootbeer restaurant).

However, Wollfy's no longer exists at either site, so I don't know if this is a "new" Wolffy's w/new owners or what. But I will find out of one of you doesn't beat me to it.

However, Wolffy's is/was essentially a hamburger joint. Don't know if they plan to serve breakfast like Arny's did.

Stay tuned.

Well, there goes my grand plan.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Default You're both sorta right

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    Ray, a good friend, is wrong about who owns the land and building.

As stated above, John Stockton owns it, along with the buildings that now house the Pita Pit, Starbucks & the bagel shop, and David's Pizza.
    When Ray owned the business the real estate was owned by the Jesuits through their real estate arm known as Pioneer Education. Because it was the Jesuits, the common belief was that Gonzaga University owned the property. As a practical matter I believe the major decisions concerning the property had major input from the GU administration. The Jebbies also owned everything south to Boone as well as Jack & Dan's across Hamilton and everything south to and including the Vietnamese restaurant (it's not Thai). John Stockton subsequently bought all of the aformentioned real estate toward the end of his pro career.

Default remodeling Arny's/Wolffy's

I stopped and looked at the ongoing remodel at what will become Wolffy's and it looks extensive. From electrical on the roof all the way through the inside.

When it opened as the Dairy Freeze, it was a square building with glass running the length of Hamilton and for about 10-15 feet back on the sharp and parking lot sides. the rest of the building was cinder block. Patrons were served at an order window facing hamilton. the back of the store was for supplies and for prep work.

the public was not allowed in the back, but many locals began walking into the back to visit with Mike Aquino, and later Ray Martire, but generally, there never was public access.

When Pat Jeppeson purchased the business from Frankie Martire, Ray's son (see the history above), he remodeled it to look like his version of a 50's drive-in, named it Arny's and transformed it into the breakfast and lunch business, adding inside seating and the drive-through window.

Just from looking at what is being done now, so far, it looks like the transformation will mostly involve updating the electrical, perhaps re doing the roof and then spiffing the inside, repairing & painting the exterior and, finally, changing the name.

In the past, I have been in Wolffy's that essentially were transformed out of failed previous businesses, like a former A & W, and not much was changed, except a swicth to their menu.

With the emergence of a popular Rocket drive inn across the street from the new GU housing development (at the sw corner of Sharp & Ruby), my guess is Wolffy's will attempt to get some of that same atmosphere and business going on the nw corner of Hamilton and sharp, about 8 blocks away.

I have been attempting to get more info, but so far, I haven't been able to talk to anyone but workers, who don't know much about the final product and look.

But soon, I expect only the shadow of Arny's as many of you remember it.

And no sign whatsoever of the old Dairy Freeze, except maybe a little stromboli sauce entombed between the cracks of the asphalt parking lot, accompanied by a pungent smell of onions emanating from the chopper in the back room.

In my memory and in my youth. forever.

Wolffy's = peanut butter shakes = big time yummy!
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

Default ok, ok, but.....

As much as I can understand the sentiments that have gone along with the history of this eatery i cant help but think that the latest lady that ran that place chased off her share of customers. While i like to banter with the best of them, she was just plain rude most of the time. If that attitude comes with fantastic service or stellar food i can deal, but when she is charging 10+ dollars for a breakfast that doesnt live up to what Franks can deliver then delete a bit of the meanness and offer a smile or something for goodness sake.
    I know this wont be well received with the masses but from someone that is forced to eat on the town more than his share with clients, there comes a time to blend the overall ambiance with a quality meal.

Default i agree eastsideballer

the last owner went out of business because the service and product and hours became sketchy. and i, too, stopped going there along with alot of other folks.

the history of the place and the good times, and better owners and food, however, remain as warm spots in my heart and mind.

regards,

peanut butter shakes
    Peanut Butter shakes, my favorite! The only shake that sticks to the roof of your mouth.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Hopefully more will learn of the amazing hidden garden on division that is Kalico Kitchen.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Default Packy's?

I have a very dim recollection of a restaurant on Boone directly across the street from the Ad Building which was called "Packy's" or perhaps "Packy's Pack Out". Am I dreaming, or did such a place exist? Seems it was open all night or nearly all night, and they sold some of the great gut bomb food of the generation, including a "Student Stuffer" made with cube steak, and a "Blitz" made with split polish sausage. Would have been between 71 and 76. Is my beer poisoned brain creating this oasis of happy memories, or did it really exist?
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Default zag75, packy's existed alright

It started life as Fallon's (run by the Fallon family) and became Packy's under a couple of different folk's. The first one was named Packy (Boyle, I think).
    The last incarnation was was run by a former classmate of mine at St. Al's, Bill Oxreider. Bill was a whale of a football player, was all city at st. al's and Gonzaga prep, went into the Marines during Vietnam and came home with a chest full of medals and serious, debilitating wounds as well.

I don't know when Packy left (or died, perhaps) and Bill took over. I suspect it was Bill that fed you. He was quite a cook. Big, heavyset and overweight with curly blonde (turning gray) hair. and a loud laugh and good sense of humor, too.

Fallon's/Packy's final use was as a structure was as the GU post office before the building was leveled and is now part of the school's entrance roughly in front of the Russel theatre.

across the street (west and a little south) from Fallon's/Packy's was Mae's Blue & white Cafe, for which this GU Board site is named.

It was also known as Dutch's and the Irish-Dutch Inn, because it was owned and run by Dutch Ryan and his very Irish wife, Mae Ryan. After Dutch died, Mae ran it for another 15-20 years, then turned it over to a daughter who ran it for several years after Mae.

I wrote about Dutch's (as we called it) a year or two ago and the piece is somewhere in this board's archives, fwiw.

Hope that helps.

I travelled to Packy's from the fall of 75 to Spring of 79 for many late-night cheeseburgers w/ fries. Better class of grease than Zips and there were some cool pinball machines too.

Oxreider could be very chatty, especially in the post-lunch lull, when you could grab a cup of Joe and pick almost any seat in the joint. Bill was a barrel-chested guy. . .when Kevin James made it big on TV, his countenance reminded me of Bill.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 04-29-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Packy's was originally called Packy's Pantry IIRC, As Gamagin stated, it was called Fallon's before that. I think the full name was Fallon's Daily Lunch, and it was right next to the alley. When Packy took over the pinball machines became more noteworthy. Both Fallon's and the Blue and White served 3 squares a day in the early days, there was no COG back then. Some of the students would buy meal tickets (at least at the Blue and White) and have them punched as they took meals. This practice lasted after the COG was built, but quickly declined. By the time I was attending GU, 65-69, I don't think they sold them, unless maybe to some Law students, as all undergrads except Spokane students were required to live on campus and take meals there too.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I have a very dim recollection of a restaurant on Boone directly across the street from the Ad Building which was called "Packy's" or perhaps "Packy's Pack Out". Am I dreaming, or did such a place exist? Seems it was open all night or nearly all night, and they sold some of the great gut bomb food of the generation, including a "Student Stuffer" made with cube steak, and a "Blitz" made with split polish sausage. Would have been between 71 and 76. Is my beer poisoned brain creating this oasis of happy memories, or did it really exist?
    I remember Packy's well. As Gamagin said it was north of Campion hall just across the alley. And my favorite was the Blitz, a polish sausage sliced down the middle, grilled, and served with all the fixings, mustard, chopped onions, pickles even a barbecue sauce if my memory serves me. I remember the pinball machines and some of the first video arcade games (this was 1980-83), Astroids, Galaga!
    I am pretty sure though that the last guy to run it was a Tony Ferraro, whose family also used to have Ferraro's donoughts up on N. Division at the top of the hill near Northtown. I remember having to hang around late one spring and the last night before he closed down for the summer Tony closed the doors early and brought a bottle of whiskey to share with the few of us that stopped in for a last Packy's run of the school year.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Default A13, re last owner/operator

You could be, and probably are, right that Ferraro was the last. I only went in there occasionally, with my kids, for the fries & the pinballs, when Ox was running it. My kids love this guy, and that joint.

Ox was himself a big kid and seemed to thoroughly enjoy his customers.

In the small world category, Ferraro's family was brought to Spokane from Italy by Ray Martire, who was brought (sponsored) by Mike Aquino, the latter two of Dairy Freeze fame. I believe the Ferraros and Martires were cousins.

Ferraro used to work at the Dairy Freeze as a young kid, as did other members of his family.

Besides his donut business (quite a few outlets at one time), I believe Ferraro purchased the Steer Inn hamburger joints from another fine Catholic, Terry Corrigan, and still owns them, unless his kids are now involved.
    Last edited by gamagin; 04-29-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Gamagin,
    Your are correct. I just found this bit on the web.
    The Steer Inn qualifies as an underrated Spokane landmark.
    It started 55 years ago as a Division Street walk-up burger hut and slowly morphed into an eat-in, drive-thru restaurant that tends to get lost amid the 5 gazillion fast food joints that have opened in the years since along the faux-freeway strip.
    "Since I've been here, there's been so many chains coming through, and I've been worried about every one," said Pat Ferraro, who took over the North Division location more than two decades ago (his brother, Tony, owns the second location at 3547 N. Market St.). "But to be here for 24 years against all these invaders from other places, I must be doing something right."
    http://www.spokane7.com/food/stories/?ID=7952
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Default Packy's Dates

Law alum, 77-80: I thought Packy's was open when I began in the fall of 77 and closed within a year or so...??

Undergrad Fall 75 - Spring 79: Pakie's was open at least for that time frame.

I was thinking about making a trip to Spokane this weekend. Then I remembered Arny's is no more.

It's Wolfy's now. Worth a try.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    It's Wolfy's now. Worth a try.
    No. I fear change.