Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memphis will rout us...

Default Memphis will rout us...

if the Zags play like this on Saturday. If we come out and play like this, Memphis would be up by 20 at halftime. Outside of Ira's back-to-back dunks, the overall play of GU was sickening and almost disheartening following our 2nd half versus USD. I was hoping for a better performance and turnaround against USF and I was clearly wrong. How can we complain about not being ranked when we play like this while the pollsters are watching. Heck with Memphis, I hope we can escape this game with a win.

Well, I agree the first half wasn't impressive. But I think its going to be very hard to lose this game as I don't feel like we can play too much worse.

Definitely can't play like this against Memphis but I'd have to think we'll be a little more focused and amped up against the #1 team.

No doubt. It will be ugly.

You often play to the level of your opponent. It's hard to "get up" when playing these sub-500 WCC teams.

The 9am gametime scares me a bit.

Default A runaway

I don't see the Zags coming within 20 points of Memphis. This team completely lacks a cohesive sustainable offense. Mark isn't angry enough or involved enough. So it seems from a distance. The turnovers and sloppy execution are just inexcusable. For the second game in a row, the team has squandered a big lead. Kuso is a major detriment. He just can't finish. And tonight Josh was a liability. What's with the guy? His head seemed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by S.U. Chieftain View Post
    You often play to the level of your opponent. It's hard to "get up" when playing these sub-500 WCC teams.
    Bah - hogwash. St. Mary's destroyed LMU by 32 tonight. They seemed to "get up" just fine. This has been a chronic GU problem for years.

Quote Originally Posted by dim4sum View Post
    I don't see the Zags coming within 20 points of Memphis. This team completely lacks a cohesive sustainable offense. Mark isn't angry enough or involved enough. So it seems from a distance. The turnovers and sloppy execution are just inexcusable. For the second game in a row, the team has squandered a big lead. Kuso is a major detriment. He just can't finish. And tonight Josh was a liability. What's with the guy? His head seemed elsewhere.
    Per gametracker, they only had 12 TOs (although gametracker's screwed me before on stats), so I'm not sure that was the issue.
    I don't think the problem with Heytvelt is head, I think it's foot and flu.
    And as for the offense ... they probably missed eight to 10 shots tonight that they just don't miss. I'm thinking of a couple midrange Pendo jumpers as well as most of Heytvelt's misses.
    Defense, I thought, was pretty good most of the game (until the last six minutes or so, when they slacked off, which is now clearly a trend). They couldn't stop Lowhorn, which I think is going to be a leaguewide issue for a while.
    I ain't saying I'm happy with this game, and clearly they're gonna need better execution on Saturday if they don't want to lose by 30. But -- I dunno, something was weird tonight, and I wonder if it was the flu bug. I dunno.

1. The turnovers were down (@ 12)
    2. The defense (except the end) played hard and did their job (12 steals and 3 blocks)
    3. Except for some of his misses inside, Kuso played a very solid game
    4. We shot terrible for the first 10 minutes, but then came back and shot pretty good from that point until the last 5 minutes
    5. Some of the players looked slow and played like they were not there. This maybe due to the flu that is going around.
    6. Ira's dunks were super
    7. The last 5 minutes, we again tried too much 1 on 1 and forgot how we got there. The spread is fine, but with about 15 seconds, we need to start doing something and not just throw something up.
    8. We need to rebound better.

Against Memphis:
    We need to play the same hard defense. Box out and hit the boards hard. Take care of the ball (keep down on turnovers). Take what the give us and do not take wild shots if the rest of the team is out of position. Do not be afraid and take your shots when they are there. Do not let them get out and run.
    If we do those things, then I think that we can keep it close.

Default Vegas line...

It's gotta be something like Memphis +16, not a gambler but number sounds about right.

Default zero to lose

RayG after the game referred to Saturday's game as an "opportunity" and "a chance to take a swing at #1." You don't get chances like this too often.

Gonzaga has ZERO to lose and everything to gain when they take the floor Saturday. Nobody is going to pick them to win. While I think Memphis is one of the two best teams in the nation, they aren't invincible. The longer these undefeated teams keep playing, the more vulnerable they become. And very often, the loss comes to a team that you wouldn't suspect could pull it off. In fact, Calipari's great UMass team from the mid-90's with Camby and Co. was undefeated deep into February until they lost at home to a very inferior GW team. They didn't lose another game until the final 4.

The odds of Gonzaga winning are not good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they don't have a chance. It's not like Gonzaga hasn't played these guys before and done so competitively.

alaskazagnut Guest

Default We only lost last year by 1 point

So we have decent chance at the game. Remember we are "playing to the level of our competition".

goshzagit, whru radio.....

It is completely fine to have your own opinions but this Zag team isn't one to just crumble. These guys stick it out and has far too much talent and pride in our program to be blown out. Who knows who will win the game, but these threads saying we are just going to keel over.... its not gonna happen. period.

You mention that to Pargo or Pendo and I guarantee they will agree with me.
    It's F4 or bust.

Default Pbriz..

by no means am I saying Pargo/Pendo and others are just going to roll over and die..of course they have pride, so do at least most of the teams Memphis has rolled this year.

Losing by 1 last yr to Memphis you have to remember a couple of things...
    1-Zags had a reason to be inspired right after the Josh/Theo incident
    2-They were home
    3-This memphis team is at least 2 notches better than last yr. Rose at PG and Taggart off the bench are 2 things they didnt have. Last yr when Dorsey got into foul trouble they had no other true Big, and Rose will remind you of a young Jason Kidd and is a definite 1 and done top-5 pick

UConn lost in the last few mins early in the season to Memphis, but that game was on a neutral court at MSG early in the yr and UConn has the shotblocker/post defender to contain Dorsey and have the guards strong and quick enough to stay in front of the slashers.

Memphis doesn't have a clutch perimeter shooting threat this season like Jeremy Hunt, who was the guy that really hurt Gonzaga in last year's game. Douglas-Roberts hit the game winner, but it was Hunt that did the damage.

The Tigers are better this year with Rose and the additional depth, plus the general maturation of their returning players. However, regardless of their frontcourt depth, there is no substitute for Joey Dorsey. If he gets in foul trouble and is forced to sit for extended periods, Memphis is not the same team. I've seen them at least 7 times this season, and they've struggled during games this year when he has been forced to sit. The complementary guys like Taggart and Dozier are nice, but they are not the guys Calipari wants out there playing extended minutes without Dorsey in the game. Dorsey's rebounding and shotblocking presence is the key to Memphis' defensive attack.

Gonzaga's bigs have to stay out of foul trouble in this game, and it won't be easy. But if they can, and if they can put foul pressure on Dorsey, it could give them some offensive looks they might not see otherwise.

Steelman
    It is 9 am here, but hopefully the zags will have been there a few days before the game, and it will be played at 11:00 or noon, there.

Well, if we're going to be blown out, why not call Calipari and forfeit?

Just think of the reduced carbon footprint the Zags will have.

I seem to recall the depleted Zags gave them a heck of a run at the Spokane Arena last year.

All you whippersnappers out there have taken the Zags for granted. Old farts like me appreciate the way our kids compete, and how far we've come over the past 10 years.

I see this game as a starting point in the drive to March. When you have as many minutes from freshman and sophomores as we do, there will be ups and downs. They're maturing, and running into the buzzsaw known as Memphis will speed that process.

Why do you naysayers come on this board once every blue moon, just to spread negativity? Just don't be surprised when your little green boxes turn into red boxes.

Default whru

I agree that Memphis is right on par with Kansas and UNC in terms of teams loaded with depth and talent.

And yes I agree you are much improved with Rose at the point.

But....

1. We didn't play you at the Kennel last year (if you have ever been to one of our real home games, it is completely different)

2. Our game last year came down to the last possession and we will actually have an inside presence this game in Heytvelt.

3. We need a marqee out of conference win and this is our last chance, we will be gunning.

That being said, it should be a very entertaining game but there is no use getting too into predicting at this point. Just too tough with these two teams.
    It's F4 or bust.

Default What CDC said...

Gonzaga's bigs have to stay out of foul trouble in this game, and it won't be easy. But if they can, and if they can put foul pressure on Dorsey, it could give them so offensive looks they might not see otherwise.
    Agree with your entire post.

The entire team needs to step it up, and play aggressively for the entire 40 minutes. I'm looking for Kuso to play a bigger role. He had some good moments in Oklahoma City, but couldn't put in any chippies tonight.

Default It's a win-win situation

Either the Zags do as they've done time and again and slay a giant in a game they supposedly have no business winning, or they lose and see their shot at the Big Dance hinge squarely on winning the conference. Either way, we'll know a lot more about these Zags and they'll know a lot more about themselves after this game. I can feel the goose-bumps already.

Some questions:
    --Does Few run Sacre and possibly Foster out there to help battle Dorsey, Dozier & Co.?
    --Will Ira/LG see some playing time if the Zags are getting run all over and need some stops?
    --Will we see a complete game out of Downs, the signs of which have been there all year but rarely put together: active, rangy D and instant, smart O?
    --Will Jeremy play within himself as he has mostly done since league play started, or will he be tempted to "will" the team to victory and thus sacrifice offensive balance for individual glory?
    --Will Kuso play within himself and FINISH at the hoop as he did against UNC last year or get flustered and throw up bricks?
    --Will Matt be able to stay on the floor (stay out of foul trouble), will he be able to get shots off (use screens or post up), and will those shots go in (time to make use of that newfound confidence and refined shooting touch)?
    --Will X-factor Pendo be able to rebound against these guys (Josh, please box out), or will he get "beasted" again this year?
    --Will Josh shake off the cobwebs and come to play on both ends of the floor (no silly fouls! take it strong to the rack!)?
    --What will the fab freshmen contribute in their first really, really big game? Will Daye put on an offensive show as I suspect he might? Will Gray show that uncommon poise and uncanny stroke from three that will have Memphis fans shaking their heads, wondering, "I thought WE had the stud freshman!"
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by pbriz View Post
    I agree that Memphis is right on par with Kansas and UNC in terms of teams loaded with depth and talent.

And yes I agree you are much improved with Rose at the point.

But....

1. We didn't play you at the Kennel last year (if you have ever been to one of our real home games, it is completely different)
    Just a side note... WHRU is a holdover poster from the game we played against Hofstra a couple years ago. He isn't a Memphis fan per se.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleMan View Post
    The 9am gametime scares me a bit.
    Memphis scares me a lot!

They should scare us. They are number 1 in the nation. But they have their problems like foul shooting and their half court game gets stagnit at times. If each of the players play above their average games, I think that it should be a good game. Being at 9 in the morning, will be tough.

Default The time

Another factor. West Coast teams playing early (for them) games have a tradition of getting blasted. And this team, if it lapses into another slow start could find itself down by 20 before the alarm even goes off. My prediction is Memphis wins it, 87-62. Prove me wrong.

Prove me wrong.
    How might you suggest the posters on the board provide "proof" that your prediction is incorrect?