Thread: Carrier Dome

Default Carrier Dome

While watching Syracuse upset Georgetown tonight, I was interested in the fact SU converts the football stadium into a basketball arena. Given the prestige of the Syracuse program, don't they deserve their own facility?

Default Carrier Dome

Sure they deserve it, but imagine the cost of building a facility to seat 20,000+ season ticket holders.

Probably not going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by mdZag23 View Post
    Sure they deserve it, but imagine the cost of building a facility to seat 20,000+ season ticket holders.

Probably not going to happen!
    Probably so, though St. Louis University is building a new arena with 13,000 seats. If a mediocre basketball school like SLU can do that, I suppose Syracuse could do something. However, it would have to be around 24,000-25,000. Does anyone know what is the largest college arena in the country? I know UNC is around 22,000.

what a way to go out for nichols, watkins and roberts...i think devendorf is one of my favorite players who isnt in a gu uni...guy looks like he should have been one nicholson's guys in "the departed"...and he can ball

Quote Originally Posted by sanfranzagsguy20 View Post
    what a way to go out for nichols, watkins and roberts...i think devendorf is one of my favorite players who isnt in a gu uni...guy looks like he should have been one nicholson's guys in "the departed"...and he can ball
    He's a white Pargo. One minute, he will do something crazy, and then do something amazing a minute later.

Default Biggest

The Carrier Dome is the biggest on campus facility. It is not a basketball only facility, but it seats 33,000+.

Kentucky seats 22k and UNC is, as you say, about 22k. Those are the next largest to my knowledge.

But to build a 30,000 seat basketball arena, you are talking about $250 million+.?????

Default Tennessee

Excluding the Carrier Dome, and the largest D-1 basketball facility that I know of is the Thompson-Boling Arena, home of the Tennessee Vols. It seats 24,535. A couple of the other biggies are Rupp Arena, home of the UK Wildcats (23,000), and the Marriott Center, home of the BYU Cougars
    (22,700). BTW - I doubt you will ever see Syracuse build a separate arena for the basketball team. For one thing, they always manage to get more people in there than you could possibly fit into a basketball only facility. Moreover, the Carrier Dome is routinely used by the NCAA as a tourney site...although nothing is stopping them from doing this if the 'Cuse had a normal arena:

Thompson-Boling Arena

Marriott Center

Rupp Arena

That picture of Rupp looks like the backside of a Target store.

Quote Originally Posted by wazZag View Post
    That picture of Rupp looks like the backside of a Target store.
    LOL!

Also, the Carrier Dome is a fantastic home court advantage. Teams are often thrown off by having to shoot in a dome.

Default Re:

Also, the Carrier Dome is a fantastic home court advantage. Teams are often thrown off by having to shoot in a dome.
    Exactly - which is why I think the NCAA should ban them from their tournament, but money rules........