Thread: It might be best if SC wins tonight

Default It might be best if SC wins tonight

Assuming that the Zags can find a way to win themselves, some of us have been pining for a Santa Clara loss at Pepperdine.

But, it is feasible that a Santa Clara win could actually help us. How? Well, if they win, they will be 21-8 and co-champion of the regular season. If we win also, we'll be 21-10 and also co-champion.

I still think it is possible that two teams could make the NCAA from the WCC. Compare Santa Clara and Gonzaga with teams like Providence, Syracuse, Creighton etc that are listed in various places as potentially in the tournament, and we measure up with those teams.

If we both won tonight, then we lost the championship games to Santa Clara, they would be 23-8 and we would be 22-11. Frankly, I think both teams would be worthy of a bid.

Santa Clara winning tonight could give us the luxury of a loss (to them only) in the title game, and ****perhaps**** still sneak into the tournament. If they lose tonight, then beat us, it would seemingly diminish our standing.

No way the WCC sends 2 teams this year. SCU doesn't have enough big wins and their RPI is 81

1-4 against the RPI top 50 won't help Santa Clara, neither will GU's 3-6 record against top 50 teams.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Default Agree with the slug

Creighton is coming on now. They took Wichita State apart on Saturday, and they are gettting healthier as the year goes on. Doltzer is back and is at 75% now. Maybe more. Not only that, some of their younger players are really maturing well (Miles). I expect them to do well in the MVC and possibly win it. I think they are at this point better than the Zags and SCU.

Compare that with the Zags. We have been pretty inconsistent all year, and recent trends (games after the arrest) we have been lack luster at times including against USF. If we win tonight, and that is a big if, especially if Holland is on the firing line (the boys might win one for Brad), we would have a 4-2 record after the bust. That is a decent record, but the competition is not great except for two teams, both of whom we lost to (Memphis and SCU). Our other games are really against kind of mediocre teams. So I would argue that our momentum is downward, and that of the Bluejays is upward.
    This is not to take away from the Zags at all. They are actually doing better than I thought they would. I think they will be lucky to get in at all. The MVC is a much more respected (and should be) conference in the eyes of the committee than the WCC. I figure that if Santa Clara had a close game with Air Force, it might be different. We better win the tournament or its NIT.

I watched Creighton on Saturday. They might have a chance against a Marquette or an Air Force. They play solid, fundamental basketball.

Sili

Default I'd like to believe.....

that the conference had a chance at 2 bids but it's not in the cards. A Zags win tonight is for a banner only. The WCC tourney champion will be the only one at the dance. But as we have discussed on the board before, had SCU beat Air Force, Kentucky or both and of course had GU won a couple more we'd have a different situation.

All that said, this game tonight is very big for THIS Zags team.

Air Force is going downhill quicker than a Wal-Mart semi with it's brakes out.

Default AF Respectable 23-6

SCU would love to have an extra game in the win column with their non-conference record.