Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You know you're a Zags fan when....

You open your closet to grab something to wear -- and you have no other clothing-- other than Zags gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogshawn View Post
    You read these boards because you love your team despite everyone else hating you.
    lol

. . .when you have more Gonzaga logo gear in your wardrobe than not.

When you first saw this video, you thought the 100,000hrs referred to how long the average student spends in line for tickets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bO1bAhgzTY
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

when you son flies in from Las Vegas arriving during a game and you leave him at the airport until the game is over...
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

when your newspaper box, your license plates, your coffee mug, wine glasses and most of your clothing....all say Gonzaga, Zags, Bulldogs, etc
    Last edited by Bocco; 12-13-2007 at 08:48 PM.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

When one of your co-workers, in trying to merely make small talk, asks a benign Zags question, "So, did the Zags win last night?"

And your reply, a breathless 25 minute rant, leaves her needing therapy.

And you don't even apologize to the rest of the gawking plebes; no, you just adjust your Zag shirt and sick back down.

To read the board.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

When while driving your son to Kindergarten in Sacramento the Kings score gets read on the radio and your son says "We don't care about the Kings Dad." and I say why, and he replies, "Because we are Zags fan." And you almost drive off the road with laughter and pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike94 View Post
    When while driving your son to Kindergarten in Sacramento the Kings score gets read on the radio and your son says "We don't care about the Kings Dad." and I say why, and he replies, "Because we are Zags fan." And you almost drive off the road with laughter and pride.
    That is the best evidence of good parenting I've heard tell of in a long time.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

When you're spending a couple of days in London, one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world, and you can't tear yourself away from your laptop, at which you are researching Zags' stuff, long enough to venture out.

Yeah, yeah, I know about that bad hip that hurts when you walk, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan07 View Post
    7. You've made the jog from the preparty to the game wearing nothing but short shorts and a layer of body paint.
    It makes you feel ALIVE!!!!!

8. When you and several hundred other fans descend on the UP campus and take the place over with zags signs and gear everywhere, which culminates in the UP campus security being dispatched to the alumni pregame function because "things are getting out of hand."

Default when....

you and a co-worker roll your boss in the office parking lot, stealing the corporate tickets and enough money to cover snacks and beer.

and then he one up's you the next day by conceding that he too would have done the same thing to see the WSU/Zag game, and promptly gives you a raise for your loyalty. Makes one sort of sad for the four stitches but what can i say he resisted.

When one of your car's vanity license plates says "GONZAGA" and another family member's vanity plate says "ZAGS 10."

When your Christmas trees ornaments are silver basketballs, stuffed plush bulldogs, and blinking blue and white lights.

When you travel to Boston for the UConn game, go to the almuni function and see one of your classmates whom you haven't seen since graduation 30 years ago, and still feel the GU connection despite the many years and many miles.

When you're traveling for work or on vacations and stop in LIDS stores to make sure they have GU hats.
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 12-14-2007 at 07:29 AM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default when you are born

into a family in which your father, his two brothers and one sister, all graduated from GU in the 1920's & 30's.

And their collective 14 children did the same, with only one or two exceptions. Many of them married GU grads before entering the real world, too.

Then their grandchildren, whose numbers I stopped counting long ago, attended and now, their great grand children are 3-5 years away from college age.

I met three cousins (2 teenage girls and a teenage boy) for the first time at a game last week.

They were standing beautifully with their GU-grad parents. The parents said the believed one or more of them are looking at GU for their undergrad studies, too. I was told there are others.

Since 1916, there has been at least one family member, usually more, attending, or planning to attend GU -- usually after graduation from Gonzaga Prep.

So there was no wake up, turning point "when" for me or my family that I recall.

My family moved to Spokane before I was born, I was told, in order that we all could get Catholic educations. My dad had grown up here but wanted to return.

We kids were born Zag fans, reared as close as you can throw a rock from Welch Hall, and lived the GU-St. Aloysius life along with many hundreds of other St' Al's neighborhood residents (mostly Catholic) that lived, laughed and loved and protected each other as best they could.

You all know about John Stockton, but there were many, many star athletes and stars as well at Gonzaga and many of us kids got the opportunity to either watch them play or meet them, visit with them or just attend this or that ceremony marking, for example, the "new" pecarovich field (now the soccer field north of the MAC -- mike pecarovich is credited as one of the creator's of the forward pass); the Crosby Library (I was there with my parents when it was dedicated. My dad was a classmate of Bing's and they spoke and introduced me).

There wasn't a ceremony we didn't attend. It was like a neighborhood parade most of the time, if you are a kid. JFK's visit to what is now Russell Theatre, but used to be the original gymnasium; Teddy K's dedication of what is now K-1 or Martin or whatever it is now -- it started out as the Kennedy Çenter; the "new" chem building which replaced old barracks' (campion hall) which served as student housing; conversion of Webster to the "new" law school on sharp before it was moved and is now housing. All the new housing, which at one time was land on which good, mostly Catholic families like mine used to live turned into the campus. Same with the Cog, the dorms along Hamilton and all around the campus, through the lumber yard and right up to the water and Trent. So far.

We watched it all, from a distance but also right from Boone Avenue, until a brother sold the house to GU to make room for what is now the Rosauer's Higher Education Center. The address of the Center bears the same address as our old house. There was even a 714 club at one time, consisting entirely of GU students who hung out there.

As I said, except for the original three brothers and one sister, the rest of us were born into the fold. And a vast majority of us are very happy we were and remain there.

21. When BobZ is a bigger hero to you than . . . I don't know, Spiderman?

you skip your history final (at another school) to travel to utah to see the zags in the ncaa tourney, only too retake the class the following semester.

Quote Originally Posted by ccpinky View Post
    you skip your history final (at another school) to travel to utah to see the zags in the ncaa tourney, only too retake the class the following semester.
    you had already known you were going to fail the class, hadn't you?

You read these boards because you love your team despite everyone else hating you.
    Dude, not everybody hates you. You have a spectacular aura about you.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

A) When you live 3000 miles away from Spokane and your kids ask you to stay up late to watch the Zags.

B) Instead of saying, "There is no way you are staying up until 1:00 am on a school night!" you get a tear in your eye instead.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

You have two rep boxes... hardly what I'd call being hated.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    You have two rep boxes... hardly what I'd call being hated.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
    no one hates you within this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Zagme-totheleft! View Post
    no one hates you within this forum
    Not saying I do, but that is quite inaccurate.

When little jumping bunnies somehow get you all excited and pumped up.

Amazing responses by everyone. Some stories were flat out hilarious, others embarrassing, several expressed dedication, while many were passionate, yet all your posts came to the same conclusion, that we are all die-hard Zag fans and proud of it!

Thanks for all your responses....GO ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Keep in mind, I was also playing a drinking game with my brother, we had to drink 1 drink of our beer for every point Ammo had...and he did pretty well that night...

1 oz. of beer per drink...Ammo scores 40

equals 40 oz of beer

That's like almost 3.5 beers!!!

My enlarged, Coug liver thinks your post is pretty funny.

Default When

You give up the stability of a career as a CPA and Corporate Controller to open sports memorabilia stores that specialize in GU gear. I get to buy, sell, and talk Zags 365 days a year and I get to call it "work".