Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Gonzaga memory?

Default Favorite Gonzaga memory?

I thought in light of the recent happenings with the program, it would be cool to throw a fun thread out here and see what happens. I want to know your favorite Gonzaga memory.

I'll start... I have a few, so sorry if I ramble on.

I went to Gonzaga team camp every year I was in high school ('97-'00) and it was always a blast. I remember the first summer I went, we were doing drills outside in 95 degree heat. I can clearly recall Dan Monson yelling at us, telling us all that we couldn't guard a tree. After the drill, Monson brought out one of his players -- a sophomore forward who led the WCC in blocked shots as a freshman by the name of Casey Calvary. I remember seeing this beast dunk on kids and swat their shots in the street. I thought, "Wow, it would be cool to be that guy." He never talked though, and he always looked mad. I personally thought he was a jerk, because a kid asked him a question, and Casey got a little heated over it -- still not sure what the question was, but he wasn't happy.

Later that night, when we had our "lights out" call, I remember Jeremy Eaton going door-to-door to make sure we were asleep. He caught me going to the bathroom and got all mad. Ryan Floyd told the big fella to chill out, that I only had to go to the bathroom. Later on in the night, one of my stupid teammates was jawing at someone outside. My buddy had his head out the window yelling at a Gonzaga student. It was pretty loud, and it caused all of us to stick our heads out of the dorm room window. Well, after about two or three minutes, we see three guys walking out of the dorm...

Calvary, Mike Nielson, and Jeremy Eaton. They make a beeline for these guys and get in their faces, telling them that they better quit threatening their players. Calvary was especially vocal to these gentlemen, and we never saw them again. That is when I became a HUGE Casey Calvary fan.

So it's no surprise why my favorite Zag memory was seeing his tip-in against Florida in the tourney...

It was also cool getting shooting instructions from an assistant coach by the name of Mark Few.

Worst memory from Gonzaga team camp? Having to play Blaine, a small school that I'd never heard of. We lost to them in triple overtime, when their PG hit a three from 30 feet. He finished with over 60 points against us; the final score was something like 95-93. His name was Luke Ridnour, and the GU coaches were drooling over him.

hey dubzag, what school did you play for? i went to the camp from 99 to 01, but we just played the 5 on 5 games, we didn't go to the drills and teaching the players and coachers put on, cause we were also doing the SCC summer league. as you can see from my name, i went to mead, just curious, if we might have played each other.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Default Favorite Memory

Loosing my voice in Key Arena cheering the Zags as they beat Stanford and achieve their first of four Sweet 16's. Special moment. The tip-in is a close second, only because I wasn't in Phoenix.

Default Casey Calvary shattering the glass at the Arena

Delayed the game for about an hour, but it was worth it. I still have a piece of the glass.
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

My fav. memory is watching the Virginia game in the ER of a local hospital. I was helping another perfusionist set up a make-shift bypass circuit and finished just in time to fully watch the final few minutes. There was a lot of adrenaline pumping that day.

You must not be talking about this year's Virginia game!!

My freshman year at GU (98-99 season), when we found out we were going to the tournament, and the entire campus seemed to poor into that little area between DeSmet and Crosby.

Everyone was jumping around, chanting "GO, GONZAGA! G-O-N-Z-A-G-A!" for what seemed like an hour. No cameras, no opposing team to intimidate, no game on the line, just a campus full of kids thrilled to have their shot on the National stage.

Well, I would say that I have dozens of non GU Basketball memories that trump the basketball ones, but I'll keep my response topical.

Can't remember if I was a Freshman or Sophomore, but the LMU Lions came to town with Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. Even though we lost the game, Jim McPhee put up 42 points and the Kennel was rocking. A couple of older nuns happened to be seating in the student section that night. Poor ladies, they kept wondering(out loud) when everyone was going to sit down.

Hank Gathers was truly a remarkable player. So much energy! His passing saddens me to this day.

hondo Guest

Default Agree

"Hank Gathers was truly a remarkable player. So much energy! His passing saddens me to this day."
    I was there and to this day I don't think I have ever seen a guy who worked harder on the court than Hank. Just loved the guy.

I too saw that game with Gathers and McPhee. It was a pretty special performance by both players. I was at the Loyola game in LA this year and they still have banners honoring Hank and signs and t-shirts that say "the house that Hank built." A well deserved honor to a terrific basketball player.

As far as GU memories, it'll be tough to match the put back of the runner.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "Hank Gathers was truly a remarkable player. So much energy! His passing saddens me to this day."
    I was there and to this day I don't think I have ever seen a guy who worked harder on the court than Hank. Just loved the guy.
    Not to hijack the thread, but man are you right on. Hank did something prior to that game I've never seen another player do before or since. He went through the typical warm ups, but he also was vigorously skipping rope. Like a prize fighter before a big fight.

Sitting in my dorm room in C/M and seeing GU vs Maryland pop up my frosh year on the NCAA seeding show.

I have a lot of fondness for that 94-95 team - that got overshadowed by the 98-99 team's run.

Default Rillie for 3

Watching John Rillie go absolutely crazy shooting 3's in possibly the best shooting display I have ever seen. Those nights it really was a case of the second he stepped into the gym he was in range.

Jeff Condill and John Stockton. I was very young and don't have a very a specific memory of them on the court, but it was very exciting to be there because of the hustle...

Of Condill: at camps, he was like a drill seargant. He said, "Gentlemen," to eight year olds like we were in the Marines.

Default More Rillie

Enough can't be said about the shooting ability of John Rillie. He shot nearly 65% from 3-point range over the 3 games of the '95 WCC tourney. It's a shame he only played at GU for two years. He should be counted among the very best the program has ever had.

This is from '77. I think we were playing Weber State and were like 1 point behind. Right before the buzzer Scott Finnie, at mid court, threw up the shot and swish, it was dead on.
    Weber State and GU were rivals in Big Sky so the win at Kennedy (K1) was sooo sweet.
    There are many other great memories but wanted to share that one from the "Land Before Fitzgerald, Monson and Few."

Default McZag

Pretty sure Rillie was one year @ JC (Tacoma?) & 3 yrs. at GU.

Many great memories including several listed above. I also fondly recall Mike Neilson kissing the floor on senior night. And sometime in the late 1980s the Kennel Club members wore ties, put a light blotch in their hair and paraded in past the GU bench in front of Fitz, in his honor, before a big game. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by SunDevilGolfZag; 02-23-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typos

Default too many memories ..

I grew up on the GU campus. Our house is exactly where the Rosauer's Higher Ed center is now. the Cener address was our address, E. 714 boone. I kept so many foul balls after they landed in the E.C. Olsen Lumberyard (where K1 & K2 now stand), Coach Bush made me a batboy. GU star Tom Mulcahy was an assistant coach. I stayed for several seasons. Ron Hare used to bounce shots off the cog regularly then.

But this is a basketball thread. My best memory during that season was when some of the players would hand us kids a towel or a ball to carry into the old gym (now russell theater) so we could get in without a ticket. The ushers looked away. After the games, I would hustle across the street to work at the Irish-Dutch Inn (known as "Dutch's") to help feed the team.

I was a dishwasher & milkshake maker and till monkey at Dutch's. "Put the vouchers in the drawer and call me if anyone wants to pay you money," were my marching orders. This began for me in the mid '50's. I worked for Mae Ryan, who fed the basketball team after each home game. The Cog was closed after dinner in those days (the cat house didn't exist), so GU cut a deal with Mae and Dutch to feed the athletes. After every home game, in would walk the likes 7'-4" jean Claude Lefebvre from France, (7 ft ?) Greek george Trontzos, Swede Hans Albertsson, all american Frank Burgess, and all the greats and most of the forgotten athletes of the 50's and early 60's. They would trade a voucher for a hamburger, fries & shakes or pop. The coaches came along on occasion, too, and mostly what I remember was the banter, the cameraderie and how friendly most of these guys were to me, a little St. Al's grade school kid doing his best to not screw up.

Once, burgess was walking down our alley as we shot hoops in our back yard. He joined us for about five minutes, which means he shot and we fed him the ball. Another time, we went about 20 yards west down the alley and into welch hall to visit Jean claude, who was staying there by himself. He was all alone during chistmas break. It was common to see foreign students along during breaks. we brought him small gifts, a couple of them lifted from the nearby IGA or drugstore. He seemed very grateful and broke out in a wide grin.

We had ourselves a great time and wound up with something to brag about to our friends. Like his bed was two beds end to end. "You had to be there to see it!"

I don't remember telling anyone any of this since grade school. These are but a couple of snapshots in a lifetime spent next to and on the GU campus.

All that said, the best memories, I believe, in reality and in history, for the school, are the ones being created right now, and which might just bring a final four or a championship in the next Few (pun intended) years.

any of the sweet 16 runs, especially the E8 99 march. wow.

Getting to meet John Stockton and Bill Grier.

gamagin:

Wow. Thanks for sharing your memories. I feel like a standing O is needed. Don't wait so long to share those again!
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Gamagin - I was at GPrep (High School!) when it was on campus in '54 and remember Dutch's, but was pretty oblivious to those older University students. After hearing your memories I wish I had paid more attention.

I think I have to go along with Casey C breaking the backboard - still can see the cloud of glass kernals over the player's heads. Shame we lost the game though.

Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    hey dubzag, what school did you play for? i went to the camp from 99 to 01, but we just played the 5 on 5 games, we didn't go to the drills and teaching the players and coachers put on, cause we were also doing the SCC summer league. as you can see from my name, i went to mead, just curious, if we might have played each other.
    Hey Mead,

I played at Moses Lake High School. I can't remember playing Mead, but there's a good chance we played you guys. We played 12-15 games in the tournament they held, so its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lo View Post
    My freshman year at GU (98-99 season), when we found out we were going to the tournament, and the entire campus seemed to poor into that little area between DeSmet and Crosby.

Everyone was jumping around, chanting "GO, GONZAGA! G-O-N-Z-A-G-A!" for what seemed like an hour. No cameras, no opposing team to intimidate, no game on the line, just a campus full of kids thrilled to have their shot on the National stage.
    I think cameras showed up later, but I remember a lot of the local community joining us. What a fun way to celebrate together completely unplanned. Any "down season" will never erase the excitement of that night and how much fun all of this can and should be.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.