Thread: Bouldin's Contribution as Freshman

Default Bouldin's Contribution as Freshman

Has any Zag guard been called on to contribute as much to the team as a Freshman as has Matt Bouldin? Maybe Blake Stepp?

Blake. He came up big in several games. Matt is the first frosh since then to have a considerable impact. When he plays well and scores mid-teens or more, Gonzaga wins. When he struggles, Gonzaga struggles. Hopefully, he keeps it rolling.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Absolutely agree Bob. When Matt is stroking it like he was the other night it opens up the offense for everyone else as you just can't keep on Derek. I hope his hot hand continues.

Default Matt Bouldin?

Folks, Matt has been playing with injuries most of the year nobody factors that into his performance. Outside shot off, factor in, wrenched back & shoulder also broken middle finger shooting hand and others. He has been mixing it with the bigs in positions new to him never played any position other than point and his ability to adjust in the atmosphere we have here is remarkable. Bouldin is healing even though he's still banging with anyone at any time for our team. He was known for his grit in HS and the kind of guy who you knew would stand with you. When he gets healthy you will see what most of the nations top schools saw and Few knows, he makes the whole team look good he is a quiet guy never complains and would stand with his mates no matter what the odds.

Watch this crew from here on out they are headed on a bee line towards big things. Bouldin isn't streaky or off he's been injured and as few said the team has had to lean on Matt this year. Look for big improvement all round as he gets well.

Cool.

Not that he's injured, but I had no idea and it totally explains what has been inexplicable about his game which seems: there but disconnected.

I buy it. Most everyone expects him to be outstanding even without knowing he's injured and everyone I have talked to thinks he carries himself well. Thanks for the info.

Sure Bouldin has struggled at times this year for one reason or another, but he has consistently given 110% to this team. He has been asked to do a lot of things this year that will make him an outstanding all-around player for years to come. I love his effort and as he matures he will learn to eliminate the turnovers and forced passes.

Incredible year for another Gu freshman. Hope he hangs around 4 years.
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

im sure he'll stay 4. reminds me alot of stepp with more athleticism and moves.

His post ability is especially surprising for someone who's only played point guard all his life.

Default Bouldin's Contribution as Freshman

Bouldin is on a fast track to greatness.

Learning on this thread that he has been fighting injuries makes his contributions even more impressive.

Whatever confidence he lacked early on seems to have gone mostly away, too, and that is great for us going into tourney play.

Watching him drive to the basket against Memphis set him free, imo. Free to drive against anyone.

My original question was non-rhetorical, but was also meant to be a huge compliment to Matt. I think his contributions as a freshman can compare with any of the great guards in GU's history. The season's not over, so it's still possible for him to have a greater impact than Blake with a deep run in the NCAAs . Does anyone besides Blake come to mind? (BTW, I'm counting Ammo as an F).

I remember a while back, NBADRAFT.net had Bouldin in their 2008 mock draft as a first or second round pick. I was pretty shocked, but I knew the guy had loads of talent. He is going to explode next year IMO, because he should be fully healthy. The guy is just fun to watch and does so many things very well.

This team is going to be fun to watch in the next couple of years.

Default Freshmen

Santangelo started all WCC games except Sr. Night his Fr. year; Averaged 14.6 & was named co-freshman of the year. A slight * in that he redshirted. He avg. 34 MPP (to Matt's 25) & was running the show pretty much all the time.

Bankhead avg. 7.7 as a RS (walk-on) FR & shot 58% from 3. Only played 6 league games however due to injury.