• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zags vs BYU Postgame Thoughts and Analysis

Reborn is on vacation so getting this thread underway.

Best shooting performance I think I have seen from the Zags in the 20+ years I've been following them. Just fantastic game all around.....BYU was getting open looks, which was a bit disappointing, but they too just shot lights out. What a fun game and great advertisement for Zags' recruiting..this is how we play!

I love the minutes distribution in this game too. So many Zags deserve shout outs but Bolton jumps out for me as his role was clearly to shadow BYU's stud guard Barcello all night and he did so. So much unselfishness on this team. Another nice stat, Nembhard and Bolton combined for 19 assists and 0 turnovers.

Much more to say but just wanna get this thread underway for now.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags
  • zagfan24
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

The passing and off-ball movement were outstanding last night, far and away the best I've seen this year. The Zags had four turnovers in the first 4 minutes, then only 7 more the rest of the way, in contrast to 28 assists. I echo your sentiments that Bolton (and Hickman as well) played phenomenal defense. It's really nice to see how Sallis is progressing as well.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Great game obviously. Wanted to point out how the Zags went off in the paint 2nd half with clear concerted effort to not settle from deep after 10-15 from 3 1st half. BYUs 2nd half d adjustments got obliterated and the team showed maturity in their attack. And the return of the transition game since after the covid forced break, great to see. Zags dug over the top of screens all night looking to stick especially on Barcello (that guy is a baller), haven't seen that consistent execution on that d from this team this year, and even tho it yielded open looks, it also made BYU unbalanced on o and helped fuel the refound transition game. Barcello had Ras stick to him, the Nemby had his turns, then Hunter, and on and on. Old days it was GBj or Silas or bust pretty much guarding a guy like Barcello.

That was fun to watch

Comment

• GrizZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2009

Those 3 pointers falling was a breath of fresh air for a change. Commentators were calling Strawther Kispert 1.0.
        Knock on wood, but one thing about this team is they don't have letdown periods as many very good Zag teams used to have in yesteryear. When the run starts, this team answers. Love that!
        One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

The Zags have now answered the bell at least twice (Texas Tech and BYU) when teams have dared them to shoot threes. Teams might still do this, because it still might be the best way to defend them, but it will at least make teams think twice about it. Obviously, cold shooting nights can happen, but the improvements from deep have been very good to see. At this point teams can't just assume that they can pack it in and force the Zags to make shots.

Chet looked to score a bit more in the post, which was also nice. The caveat is that BYU is missing some key big men.

This is the kind of game I like to see from Timme. He still scored a million points, and was efficient as ever, but I can hardly remember a single shot. The ball was not sticking when it got to him, in part because BYU was trying to force it out of his hands. In general, the team didn't force anything but still got the shots they wanted.

Strawther's hot started might have changed the complexion of the game. If the Zags had started the game out cold they might have been clawing their way back in it the entire game, given how hot BYU was, and how confidence can change when your shots aren't falling and the other team's are. At one point in the first half, the Zags were up by 20 but BYU was still getting really good looks and they game felt much closer than it was. The Zags were similarly able to weather an early storm in the second half. Another observation of Strawther is that he seems to be moving a lot more and doing things with more purpose when he gets the ball. He was kind of floating around on the perimeter and looking really passive in the early part of the season. He gives defenses an entirely different dimension to think about. That floater is impossible to defend and he should be looking at getting into the elbow/paint area every chance he can.

Nembhard was Nembhard, in a good way, of course. The team is best when he is hunting his shot a bit. I appreciate his defense, as well.

It is luxury to have such good bench players. I am not surprised by the playmaking Hickman off the bench, but his shot-making has been excellent. I didn't really like his shot when I first saw it but he won me over with his scoring spurt against Alabama (which includes the toughness to even take those shots in that game when things weren't going well). I have no concerns about the mental part of the game when March rolls around. Sallis brings an exciting element with his athleticism and seems to have a knack for winning contested rebounds. Watson is basically a 6th starter out there and it is really nice to see him hunting his shot, as he was already a valuable player with his defense and passing.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
            Commentators were calling Strawther Kispert 1.0.
            This was driving me nuts. Usually the first number in a completed major version would be 1.0 making last year's Corey Kispert "Kispert 1.0". Kispert in the NBA might be Kispert 1.5 or something like that. If Stawther is based on Kispert but a newer major version, he'd at least be Kispert 2.0.

Sports analogies, what are you going to do. You play to win the game. You can't make this stuff up. Hopefully, we can turn this trend around 360 degrees.
            The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
              This was driving me nuts. Usually the first number in a completed major version would be 1.0 making last year's Corey Kispert "Kispert 1.0". Kispert in the NBA might be Kispert 1.5 or something like that. If Stawther is based on Kispert but a newer major version, he'd at least be Kispert 2.0.

Sports analogies, what are you going to do. You play to win the game. You can't make this stuff up. Hopefully, we can turn this trend around 360 degrees.
              More or less.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                Banned
                • Jan 2019

How does one de-compress from a game like this? If someone had told me yesterday afternoon that we would win by 26, I would have said, "yeah right". But it happened. Didn't care much for the ESPN guys, but I was screaming at the TV so loudly I barely heard them. Nice to see we are back on top in KenPom; I assume this was a Quad 1 win.

Comment

• daskim
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2020

I thought a Quad 1 win is a home win versus teams ranked 1-30. But who's rankings are considered

Comment

• zagzilla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                    I thought a Quad 1 win is a home win versus teams ranked 1-30. But who's rankings are considered
                    Quad records for seeding purposes are based on NCAA's NET Rankings at the end of the season (here). You can't really be sure what your Quad record is until the end of the season because it changes based on the results of each game. For example, BYU is #30 NET this AM. Entering the game yesterday, they were #29.

I guess that means that there's a chance this becomes a Quad 2 win if they drop more games but will likely remain a Quad 1 opportunity in Provo and in Vegas. They are very unlikely to drop below #75 which is the threshold for a Quad 1 win for true road games or #50 which is the threshold for games played at a neutral location.

FWIW here are the other WCC teams in Quad 1/2 range right now...

GU #3
                    BYU #30
                    USF #31
                    SMC #39
                    SCU #78

ZZ

Comment

• zagzilla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Also I was glad this game was played on national TV. We represented very well and definitely passed the "eye test" for a national audience. Greenberg was commenting at the half how they had forgotten how good GU was because they hadn't seen the Zags play in awhile. Would have been better if the game had been earlier though.

ZZ

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

This is a neat graph showing points per possession over the course of the game. It's pretty easy to tell where we let off, ha ha.

Comment

• coolhandzag
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

Good win. I wouldn't cheer for BYU if they were playing ISIS.

Comment

Working...
                          X