Thread: High School Basketball Top 25

Default High School Basketball Top 25

I truly wonder how many of the following "High Schools" are truly real high schools as they were when we were in high school...

Some of these schools only have students that are on the Boys Basketball Team - no other students!

What happened to "regular" high school basketball schools? Should there be two rankings, one for regular high schools with a real student body and one for the other schools that only have basketball students?

I personally feel these other schools should not be acknowledged as legitimate by the NCAA!

What are your feelings?

Below is the ESPN High School Boys' Basketball Top 25 for the week of Monday, Jan. 10, 2022:

1. Sunrise Christian (Bel Aire, Kansas) 12-1
    2. Camden (N.J.) 5-0
    3. Richardson (Texas) 19-1
    4. Montverde Academy (Fla.) 13-3
    5. Duncanville (Texas) 17-1
    6. IMG (Bradenton, Fla.) 14-2
    7. AZ Compass Prep (Chandler, Ariz.) 17-1
    8. Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, Calif.) 14-1
    9. Link Academy (Branson, Mo.) 21-0
    10. Gonzaga (Washington, D.C.) 8-0
    11. Prolific Prep (Napa, Calif.) 17-2
    12. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) 6-1
    13. La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.) 11-2
    14. Roselle (N.J.) Catholic 8-1
    15. North Little Rock (Ark.) 11-3
    16. Cardinal Hayes (Bronx, N.Y.) 9-0
    17. Oak Hill (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) 15-7
    18. Combine Academy (Lincolnton, N.C.) 11-3
    19. Long Island Lutheran (Brookville, N.Y.) 9-1
    20. St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Md.) 17-2
    21. Hillcrest Prep (Phoenix, Ariz.) 16-1
    22. Calvary Christian (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) 10-1
    23. Southern California Academy (Castaic, Calif.) 15-2
    24. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, Nev.) 15-0
    25. Wasatch (Mt. Pleasant, Utah) 10-7

Which schools listed here can you identify as having no other students other than the basketball team?

Link Academy, Prolific Prep, Combine Academy, HillCrest Prep, Southern CA Academy...

These schools exist as basketball schools and their kids go to another school's campus for education classes.

I remember reading an article in ESPN about a recruit that went to a similar academy and the NCAA was involved in the discussion as to the legitimacy of the Academy as an actual high school where he was enrolled. The school's student enrollment consisted of only basketball players.

I agree with Bogo. These basketball academies may have 10 or so other students but not any more. I remember watching Oak Hill when they had Jules Camara, and they had 49 students. They had 3 different basketball teams with 12 players on each team. So you count the numbers. Most of these schools are ran by the shoe companies, and should not really be considered High Schools. That is true about their players going to local high schools for classes, if they go to class at all. I also remember this basketball school in Hopkinsville Kentucky, I forget the name. This team was paid for by this one kid's rich grandfather so his grandson could play basketball. He couldn't make any of the local schools team. This little school had 4 college players. One of which was a big guy that played at Notre Dame. Swanigan was his name not the one that played at Purdue, but another Swanigan, another player that started at an Ivy League school, and 2 more that played in college, and this guy's grandson, who was terrible, but he started, and just stood in the corner while the others played.

12. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.)

I can vouch for these wonderful high schools doing great work in the classroom and on the court. FYI, the great Jamal Mashburn played at Hayes, Bob McKillop got his start at LuHi. Of course Dematha is arguably the #1 scholastic bb program ever.

Default #2

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    12. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.)

I can vouch for these wonderful high schools doing great work in the classroom and on the court. FYI, the great Jamal Mashburn played at Hayes, Bob McKillop got his start at LuHi. Of course Dematha is arguably the #1 scholastic bb program ever.
    St Anthony’s #2?

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    St Anthony’s #2?
    For a shorter period, yes. But it shuttered a few years ago. Hurley and Wooten are the best but couldn’t be more different.